Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverFeather
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? Empty
PostSubject: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 9:12 am

Done a bit of searching on the old interweb regarding the differnt roller weights.

My main aim is for more acceleration regardless of its effect on mpg.

I looked at the J.Costa variator, however the service intervals on the pin is not at all appealing.

I was looking for peoples actual experience with the 24gr, 23gr, 22gr rollers as these are all available from Dr.pulley direct. (I am based in the UK so will be purchasing from the EU).

The general consensus seems to be that the 24gr are the best, however can anyone please tell me from their experience any difference beteen the 24 and lower.

I know the Swing is no sportsbike, but a little oomph off the line is certainly a nice bonus.

TIA
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:03 am

I don't think that you will be disappointed no matter which weight you choose.
Back to top Go down
SilverFeather
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Decided to opt for the 22gr and sliders.

Hopefully stock arrives soon so I can install and try them out.

Certainly not the quickest thing off the line, even when compared to my lowly 125cc and certainly nothing compared to my CBR.

Will update once I have installed and used them.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Have used the 24gr for over 50,000 miles - very smooth - which is nice - but actual acceleration improvement (over OEM rollers as tested against a buddy of mine who has same model/mileage as me) is not that much - however, it feels like a lot. When pulling out at a full stop - no one has ever beaten me off the line - frankly, not many have tried/cared - except once and it was a tie. One word of caution, IMHO, is to let the clutch engage (so there is very little slipping during acceleration) BEFORE twisting the throttle wide open from a stop. I used to open the throttle wide from a full stop and hold it open the entire time until I reached my desired speed - this seemed to cause noise (sounded like scraping) in the final drive that would take a long time (weeks) to go away (I would take the drive apart and sand down drum and clutch shoes but this did not elliminate the noise) - I think it was due to bitty clutch shoes trying to transfer more power than they were designed to do over a very short time interval. Now, when I want a quick start (say from a stoplight), I rev engine to get the idle up a bit just before taking off to get the clutch starting to engage - then hit throttle hard - it gets me off the line quick enough and now I rarely get any funny final drive noise. If you can tolerate a slightly slower quick start - wait to the clutch engages BEFORE you open the throttle wide. I have had two SWings - and have noticed the same issue on both of them. I now NEVER do the clutch shoe burn (i.e., holding the throttle open with brakes on while stopped) as it seemed to create final drive noise that would last a long time - instead, I do sand down the drum and the clutch shoes to remove shine each belt change or whenever I have the final drive apart - this has kept my final drive happy (nearly noise free) for the last 40,000 miles. It only takes a fraction of a second to get the clutch to engage with the drum - especially if you keep the rpms up a bit when you are ready to start moving. The SWing is not designed to be fast off the line but I always get a big jump on traffic from a full stop whenever I want too - so it is plenty fast off the line for me.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Have you tried using Dr Pulley paragraph spacers?
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Have you tried using Dr Pulley paragraph spacers?

:lol!: That was hard to read.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?   Dr.Pulley roller comparisons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr.Pulley roller comparisons?
Page 1 of 1