Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr. Pulley Sliders

Go down 
+7
Meldrew
Dimond
vmaximus
HORNBLOWER
Ayjayroy
bigbird
Silverjoy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Silverjoy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-08-10

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:27 am

Hello! I am a newbie and I searched this but I can't find the answer I am happy with...
I understand that if I switch to Dr. Slider variator and sliders that the scooter will have a lower low and a higher high, but by how much in RPM or percentages and even more importantly with what effects on different terrain?
If I climbing over the
The Sierra Nevada's from Yosemite a higher high may not be what works for me. ( Or the Scooter.)
If we bypass Honda engineers for specific results are we really getting an improvement in overall performance or just a specific improvement in a singular variable (like acceleration) at the sacrifice of something else. (Fuel economy, belt life, engine load/ wear etc.).
The point of my question is whether or not changing the variator and slider is a pro or con ....... any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2014 12:35 am

I suggest you start here. The test results are for a Kymco scooter, but the Silverwing will show similar results:

http://www.unionmaterial.com/testreport.htm

Then read about how sliders work here:

http://www.unionmaterial.com/rollerweight6.htm

I've used the stock variator and stock rollers, a J.Costa variator, and stock variator with Dr. Pulley 28, 26, and 24 gr sliders. Of all those combos, the stock variator with 24 gr Dr. Pulley sliders gave me the best combination of increased acceleration, low rpm cruising, and vibration free operation.
Back to top Go down
Ayjayroy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-09-11

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2014 9:56 am

That's the answer I was looking for! Smile
Thanks, Bigbird!
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 am

Thanks Bigbird that's just the answer I was looking for too! My problem now is finding a place here in the UK where I can get them, especially as the market seems to be flooded with fakes. Has anybody any ideas of how to get some here and avoid the rip off ones.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 5:59 am

Just Google Dr Pulley sliders, they are based in Germany, register with them and order what weight you want, they are very easy to deal with and prompt delivery times. I fitted 24g sliders to a stock variator and they work very well.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 8:16 am

Silverjoy wrote:

If I climbing over the
The Sierra Nevada's from Yosemite a higher high may not be what works for me. ( Or the Scooter.)

I have taken my SWing and its 24 gram Dr Pulley Sliders over Sierra Mountains passes many times from the SF Bay Area on day trips (Monitor, Donner, Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, Carson) and overnight trips (Tehacapi, Walker) and the ride has been smooth as butter, over the speed limit, with ability to pass slower traffic while going uphill - the SWing is an amazing machine - and the Dr Pulley Sliders are a wonderful low-cost retrofit that Honda should have used as OEM equipment.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 am

I'd say the Silver Wing is just as efficient without adding anything to it. My 2010 model has no trouble overtaking long lines of trucks on 90 mile sections of dual-lane autobahn, and doing the same on uphill multi-lane stretches. I've filled up after doing 150-170 miles and had up to 69 mpg (UK), that's 57mpg (US).

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 10:45 am

Silverjoy:
As Dimond said, the Dr. Pulley sliders work well in the mountains.  I have ridden my Silverwing (outfitted with the 22g Sliders) to the top of both Pikes Peak and Mt Evans and over a number of 10,000+ ft high passes here in Colorado and even at more than 14,000 feet above sea level the Silverwing performed flawlessly.  The basic design of the CVT allows the engine to operate within the optimal powerband regardless of elevation.  Even though the engine makes less horsepower at high elevations, when you give it gas it simply "downshifts" into the required ratio to give you the power you need.

I live at over 5280 feet above sea level and when my bike was stock I had trouble developing sufficient power to cause the CVT to "downshift" (not enough torque), but since I added the mods I have listed in my footer, my bike now develops sufficient torque to function as it was intended.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 9:28 pm

I have had my SWing (with stock rollers) over 10,000 feet several times and never had a problem. Sailed right up and ran great even at 9-10K feet. So not sure what the 22g sliders would do for me... Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 pm

The Scootist wrote:
Silverjoy:
I have ridden my Silverwing (outfitted with the 22g Sliders) to the top of both Pikes Peak and Mt Evans and over a number of 10,000+ ft high passes here in Colorado and even at more than 14,000 feet above sea level the Silverwing performed flawlessly.  

The mountain passes in California are puny compared to Colorado - but we do have one that is about 10,000 feet (many in the 8000 foot range) - Tioga Pass. The road west from Mono Lake to Tioga Pass is wide, long, and rises directly to 10,000 feet - my Swing does this road just fine; however, I do not know how it would perform OVER 10,000 feet. Question; Do you think that I would need to do anything to my Swing if I wanted to tour the Rockies (keeping in mind that this would be a one week trip - not something that I would do often)?

I am intrigued by your Bi-Valent Capacitor farkle and when I do a Google search the Scootist shows up as the FIRST HIT! Companies pay a lot to get on the first page of a Google search - so you have something remarkable here!

Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Dimond wrote:
Question; Do you think that I would need to do anything to my Swing if I wanted to tour the Rockies (keeping in mind that this would be a one week trip - not something that I would do often)?

A riding buddy of mine took his Swing from Winnipeg to Vancouver Island this summer, driving through the Rockies in Canada. He took the southern route, using the Kicking Horse Pass. The elevation is only 6000', but the average grade is 2.2%. He said the Swing took it in stride with no power problems.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 10:59 am

I frequently have my bike above 10,000 feet - typically any given weekend when there isn't snow at elevation. No problems, just ride it normally, don't worry about any mods. The stock bike can do fine, as can a bike with any of the Dr's sliders.

It does run a little rich at altitude, but nothing breaks and it has plenty of power. When I travel west from Denver up I-70, I'm always in the left lane and am passing pretty much anything on the road within reason. It could do that all day long if you wanted. And the brakes are fine going down hill too - you won't have any brake fading problems with normal highway riding through the mountains.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 11:57 am

It is true that in it's stock configuration the Silverwing will handle the mountain passes ok, but all internal combustion engines lose about 2% of their power for every 1,000 feet in elevation gain, so the power is definitely down up here.  Perhaps it is due to my size or a batch of bad fuel, but more than once I had trouble accelerating to pass slower moving vehicles on Kenosha Pass (in stock form), so I added the mods to restore some of the lost power.  Now when I twist the throttle it jumps right up to about 6,000 rpms, which it my peak hp.  The difference it notable.

Here is a link showing a basic mono pole flux capacitor available for about $25.00:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1dbd/

I may get one of these just for fun...
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Don't the other vehicles also lose 2% per 1,000 feet? Smile

I've never had problems passing other people at altitude. But certainly improving the performance would help anywhere.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 6:35 pm

jmaslak wrote:
Don't the other vehicles also lose 2% per 1,000 feet?  Smile
Not if they're artificially aspirated (turbo or supercharged). Can you imagine how little power piston driven high altitude aircraft would have without supercharging?
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 pm

The 24g Dr Pully sliders work best for me. My local area is 3965 above sea level but to the west of me in Cheyenne, Wyoming, it is 6200 and Denver is 5280 and then there is the mountains up to about 14000. The Silver wing with it's parallel twin is very sufficient when coupled with the CVT and sliders. I would not go back to a m/c now because the Silverwing does everything I want it to do. I am no small person and have lots of extras on the bike. Even with all of my gear it does well. Shocked cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dr. Pulley Sliders Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr. Pulley Sliders   Dr. Pulley Sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dr. Pulley Sliders
Page 1 of 1