Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Coolant leak

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi guys,

Been awhile. So, since day one of riding my '06 I've been smelling a slight sweetness while riding. 2 weeks ago I put the kickstand down and went into Dunkin' Donuts. Came out and noticed a few drops under the engine. It was coolant. Now keep in mind I bought it with only 575 miles or on it. Just dropped it off at the dealer for them to look at it tomorrow. Hopefully it's just a rotted hose or clamp. Scary thing is that charge $95.00 an hour plus parts. Let's see what they are going to rape me for. More to come folks.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Probably just a loose hose clamp at/near the water pump --especially given the low mileage on your SW. Here's hoping that you've got an honest shop for your work.

Unless you're all thumbs when it comes to DIY service you probably should invest in a Factory Service Manual (FSM). They are easy to work on. Check eBay. All the manuals are pretty much the same but try to find a manual for an '07 or earlier. IIRC The '08s and later have an O2 sensor at the muffler and a different ECU. But mechanically even the later model years are the same as the early ones

Tim
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 11:20 am

HI Cosmic,

HI Cosmic,

Just wanted to give you an update. Leak was due to a freakin mouse chewing through the hose. Also chewed part way through some cabling. Roughly $200 smackers for repair. Pick it tomorrow
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:30 pm

As Tim stated, you could have saved a lot of $ by getting a flashlight (torch, for our European friends) and follow the coolant lines. Bulk hose is cheap at any auto parts store (take in a sample of the chewed hose), antifreeze is cheap, and you'd be good to go.

Any idea what cable the rodent attacked and if repairs were necessary to that cable?

That being said, some people can't physically lie down on their back or side and do that. But if you're physically able, there are a lot of maintenance items you can easily do yourself and save a bundle. Saves being raped by the dealer, as you so succinctly put it.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Believe it or not this not unusual in the industry especially when a unite has been stored for a while.It could be worse,how about a main wiring harness to the ECM.
Try putting mothballs in various places. Some will also put some steel wool in the exhaust.
The worse case I saw was a cat that went into the engine compartment for the night,woke up when the owner started the car and the cat went forward.Sorry,you can a manage the rest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 1:52 pm

I do not know this as Gospel but but have been told by people who are supposed to know that rodents chew on wiring for the soybean oil in the insulation. Howard
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Bigbird, i'll find out which wiring it was. Apparently the the had to order it from Honda. Next time i"ll be doing the repairs my self (with help from my experts here at the site). He did say that most of the time was taking the plastic body off. More to come....
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2014 11:58 am

If they had to order wiring or electrical parts from Honda I would ask them to save any old parts. I would lean on the cautious side,you usually can repair the wiring unless it is quite a extensive repair.   Howard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coolant leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coolant leak   Coolant leak I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coolant leak
Page 1 of 1