Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Honda Adventure Scooter
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby bikehiker Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Installed a C.L.M. lock on Swing.
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby sc00ter Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Greetings from southern Oregon
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby Osprey Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:17 pm

» Front brake issues
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby exavid Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 am

» Yes Virginia, there is an American scooter magazine
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby Howardr Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm

» Hello ! New SW600 owner
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby LECHETTAN Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:50 am

» left signal turn
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby LECHETTAN Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:30 am

» Seeking Hard Side Cases for Silverwing
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:38 am

» Loss of a friend
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:01 am

» New Member RevDougLeBow
Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeby Osprey Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from a newbie to the forum

Go down 
AuthorMessage
lenny1980steve
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-23

Hello from a newbie to the forum Empty
PostSubject: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 8:24 am

Hi all

Just signed up to your forum.  Looks good with loads of usual info

Steve here from Sutton, Surrey England.  I have a 2010 black Silvewing.

I have a question for you straight away if thats ok?

My Silverwing is due its 16000 mile service soon, according to the service book its due the valve clearance checks at this mileage/interval.  Some of the local Honda dealers to me have advised they dont bother doing them and that they have never needed to adjust them before.  Has anyone had any experience of this.  The belt change is also due at this mileage.

Any advice would be good

Thanks
Steve
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2449
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 am

Listen to the dealer. Most here do not bother with any valve inspections. As long as you're not running the engine really hard (racing, towing, flat out) the valves will stay in spec for as long as you own your Swing. Do the belt change at the required mileage. If you don't and it breaks while riding, you could do some expensive damage to the belt case cover, drive and driven faces, and clutch.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2096
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Steve, welcome to the forum. As bigbird said change the belt as recommended at 16,000 miles. You usually can go 4,000 5,000 over but why take the risk. I've got over 50,000 miles on my 08 and have not bothered checking the valves, it runs fine. If I have to tear into engine I may check the valves but only because I have another scooter to ride if I need to wait for the right shims.
 welcome  applause  welcome
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from a newbie to the forum 510-80

Number of posts : 2936
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 5:38 pm

Welcome to the forum Steve. Listen to Bigbird. He gives good advice.  There are a plethora of maintenance threads available. You may not do the work, but you can gain knowledge.      cheers     welcome     cheers
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 7:08 pm

I would replace the belt on time.  Smile Myself, I would have the valves inspected.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2449
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 pm

Greysilver wrote:
Myself, I would have the valves inspected.

More potential damage can be done by actually shimming the valves. It's because it is the most stressful job on a tech. If anyone doesn't know, all the tupperware must come off, the camshafts must be removed, and you need a micrometer, as well as a couple of special tools. The fear of the tech is that he or she drop a small shim down into the crankcase. The shims are very small, about the size of an aspirin, and very thin. Reassembly is also daunting, as the lifters must go with the valves they came out of and the shims must not drop out of their position. Mix them up and you have to reassemble the engine and do it all again. There have been cases documented here where the valve inspection at the dealer involves a tech listening to the engine running at a hot idle and listening for excessive clearance ticking. The problem with shim under bucket valve trains is not excessive, but inadequate valve clearance. You can't listen for inadequate clearance.

Enough blabbering. Do whatever makes you happy.

Last edited by bigbird on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3229
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 am

Hello and welcome. Steve.

I'm in Salisbury and there are a few members around in the South.

bigbird's your man.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1105
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 am

Steve,

Welcome and congrats on the Swing. I always changed my belt either early or at 16,000 miles for peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
lenny1980steve
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a newbie to the forum   Hello from a newbie to the forum I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2014 9:17 am

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated!

Think I will leave the valves check and do the belt. Might get the valves checked at the 32k service.

Happy scootering to all

Steve
Back to top Go down

Hello from a newbie to the forum
Page 1 of 1