Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 2:07 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 12:14 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 12:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just joined - from London

Go down 
+9
scr3wdriv3r
Greysilver
model28a
MajikalJoe
LDB
MikeO
ScooterBJ
"Hi Yo"
galley skulker
13 posters
AuthorMessage
galley skulker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
galley skulker

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-07-10

Just joined - from London Empty
PostSubject: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 8:30 am

Hi All,

Having had scooters since I moved to London in the early 90s I'm not a new convert; always loved them and always found them the best option in the city. This Silverwing is about 10th scooter in line following predecessors such as a Yamaha Jog, Yamaha Bwizz, Benelli Velvet (125, then a 250 and finally a 400 which was brilliant!), Piaggio Typhoon, Aprilia Atlantic (500 - a very good scooter as long as you fix the thermostat problem). Despite a long addiction to racing and sports bikes I use the Silverwing for most things; nipping around town, commuting my daughter to school and getting down to the coast to indulge my other vice, sailing.

The scooter was given to me by a generous friend I re-introduced to bikes years ago and he consumes Silverwings like a chain smoker, getting through one every 5 or so years and replacing it with a new one.

So, I have an '08 24,000 miler with topbox and heated grips. New Bridgestones were fitted straight away and the 24gm Dr. Pulley weights and a kevlar belt are on order. We call it "The Flying Armchair" and it's a great tool but the handling is woeful; it goes into a wobble that'll become a tank slapper when coming down from any speed if you relax your hold on the bars, it understeers like nothing I've ridden before and the torsional flex in the front end should be illegal. I'm pretty sure the head bearings need adjusting and that'll be done same time as the belt & weights but I'm not sure what to do about the understeer (longer rear shocks, perhaps) and the flex can't be helped.

I have solved one issue - the gas strut spring for the seat. I had a supplier make up a batch for me with a slightly higher spring rate and longer throw so it now opens itself after an initial lift, opens further and stays up so no more banging heads and scuffed helmets.

Thanks for the info on the forums - been useful.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Just joined - from London 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 11:43 am

cheers   welcome   cheers 
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Go Hyperpro   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Welcome. A free Silver Wing! That's a great friend.

You will find tons of useful info here for your Silver Wing upgrades. I recommend addressing that handling issue by ensuring the stem bearings are snug enough, and then a Hyperpro fork kit. The Hyperpro kit transforms completely the scooter's handling. I would not own a Silver Wing if I could not upgrade the front forks. Hate it without the Hyperpro kit, love it afterward.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm

Hello and welcome from me too.

What part of London? I was born and brought up in Whetstone (N20) and didn't leave until I was 59 so know the place quite well!

Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Greetings from Texas. This is a great place for everything SilverWing. Quite a few members are from your side of the globe too. Good luck with your upgrades and fixes.
Back to top Go down
MajikalJoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MajikalJoe

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2014-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 7:09 pm

New here too but a Hi form the state of New Jersey cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:12 pm

welcome applause welcome 
Back to top Go down
galley skulker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
galley skulker

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2014 9:43 am

Thanks for responses - I'm in W.Norwood, SE London. You see quite a few Silver Wings here; they're viewed as the sensible alternative to the T-Max.

I understand the limitations of such a long/heavy bike with small wheels and I'm sure I ask too much of it but it would be great if I could at least get it to hold a line in fast corners and stop with a little more confidence. I should have mentioned it has been knocked over about a dozen times and possibly run over so I'm pretty certain the front end is not quite straight.

All will be sorted out in August once the family holiday and sailing is out of the way.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2014 6:40 am

Welcome to the site Gallery.
Back to top Go down
scr3wdriv3r
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi @galley skulker!

Greetings from West Yorkshire in a couple of days. Still waiting for my grey Swing to be shipped from Bucharest along with other bike equipment. Wanted to ask for some help regarding the seat gas strut spring. I'm quite desperate for one. Any idea how could i get one like yours?
Also very bothered with the massive torsional flex. But being a fan of everything else the Swing is all about and also for small leaning angles even when commuting i'll do my best to help it handle better until spring. Any success with yours by now?
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 6:14 am

Welcome from Dallas. Great site.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 10:25 am

scr3wdriv3r wrote:
Also very bothered with the massive torsional flex.

Hello mate, I've had my Silver Wing for 4 years now and I haven't a clue what "massive torsional flex" is, so should I be bothered too?     scratch
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Meldrew wrote:
scr3wdriv3r wrote:
Also very bothered with the massive torsional flex.

Hello mate, I've had my Silver Wing for 4 years now and I haven't a clue what "massive torsional flex" is, so should I be bothered too?     scratch

Must admit that one got me a bit too I've noticed it on some BM's and the ST1300 but can't quite figure it on a Silverwing, also small lean angles? Mine leans over quite a lot.

Last edited by HORNBLOWER on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2014 7:22 am

Hello Skulker, from Oregon. I totally agree, I use my maxi scooter for a lot of around the town errand running. My K1100LT is a fun ride but when it comes down to day to day running it's the scoot. I don't currently have a SW but have had two in the past and think you'll enjoy yours.
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2014 12:50 pm

Welcome and pls keep us posted on your upgrades...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just joined - from London   Just joined - from London I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just joined - from London
Page 1 of 1