Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?

Go down 
+2
dspevack
4getful2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
4getful2
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
4getful2

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2013-02-23

speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? Empty
PostSubject: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 pm

At interstate speeds my speedometer, by my gps comparison, is a good 8 mph off. I'm going that much slower.
It seems as though the engine sounds happier at about 5000 rpm's, plus on the two lane highways--55 mph speed limit- the silverwing seems to get better fuel economy.
Has anyone ever tire'd up, went to a larger size , to try to correct this??
Also, what rpm does the clutches get to full engagement?
Thanks, Have a happy 4th...
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 1:35 pm

It is a factory standard that the Silverwing Speedo is about 10% below actual.
A few people get more accurate then that, but 10% is the norm.
If this is important to you try the speedo healer:
http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/
Put in the year of your silverwing and whether or not it has abs.

Much easier than trying to change mechanical things.

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 pm

Be advised that the Speedohealer not only alters indicated speed but, on a Burgman for certain and possibly on a Silverwing, will also affect the recorded mileage.

it works by re counting the pulses sent to the speedo.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 2:31 pm

In reality the Speedohealer should change the mileage if it also changes and corrects the speedo. If the speedo is reading 10% fast then mileage would also be 10% "fast". If someone is getting, let's say, 50 mpg with an incorrect speedo then the correct mileage would be around 45 mpg instead. This way both the speedo and mileage would end up being correct. My Wing reads about 6-7 miles faster than my GPS says I'm going. That would make my mileage reading off too. I may think I'm getting 50 mpg where I may actually be getting 45. No big deal either way with the exception of knowing how fast you are really going and how many miles per gallon you are really getting. But for $116 I'll stick with my "off" speedo. It doesn't really matter to me all that much. To some it might tho.

It's like my 1974 Honda CB 750. It has kph only seeing as it was made in Japan to stay in Japan. A serviceman bought it over there and shipped it home. Rather than change the speedo out for a mileage one I just figured it out in my head as to how fast I was going.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 4:25 pm

It seems to me 99% of all bikes speedometers are off by 5-10% at a 100kph regardless of make or model.  Always read slower than actual speed. At least it is on my swing and my suzuki GSF, my brothers virago, my friends vstar, my former HD Sportster........i've often pondered if manufacturers do it on purpose to slow bikers down?!?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Hotwings:
From what I understand there is some European requirement that vehicle manufacturers have that all speedometers require accuracy within a certain range and cannot be under reporting speed, or there is a big penalty to the manufacturer. So its actually a proactive measure against error in the other direction.

Dale:
I don't believe you are correct in that the odometer is deliberately off if the speedo is off.  I believe the odometer is meant to be accurate and the speedo is not.  But you can always check that by stopping at a mile marker on the highway, resetting the trip odometer and going 10 miles. Changing one will change the other, but they are designed for one to be accurate and the other not.

Colin:
Yes you are correct. It says on the website that one will change the other.

Note:
For those with a bike that is spec'd to a unit of measurement of speed you do not use, this device has a converter from MPH to KPH or KPH to MPH.  It will not change markings on your bike in any way, but will theoretically give you an accurate conversion reading.

Dan
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 5:19 pm

Many people here subscribe to that view; it's a way of protecting drivers and riders from exceeding the speed-limits.
In my experience the 10% applies all through the speed range.

It's a bit of a generalization I know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?   speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

speedometer correction>>>>>>>>>?
Page 1 of 1