Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» First Road Trip
by Greysilver Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Hello from Norfolk, VA!
by cotetoi Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» Low rear tire Milage
by Sidewinder Pilot Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Trike Tire Change ? ( re-post to correct forum )
by Briorick Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Dusty RearWheel
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Job #1 done, #2 not to sure of.
by Osprey Yesterday at 3:50 pm

» Braking
by Osprey Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???
by MikeO Yesterday at 10:53 am

» Howdy y'all ...
by Sirkitrider Yesterday at 7:07 am

» Bonjour hullo from the Cote d'Azur
by Mech 1 twa Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:17 pm

These are Bestem factory seconds. The mount straps are in the wrong place. If you have access to sewing, it's a good deal.

They are well made, fit in the step-thru area well, are roomy and have a map pouch on top. However, they do not stand up on their own unless stuffed full and will need the straps redone. I ordered one for my SWing and one for my Burgie400.

To modify them I am making a stiff insert from a Walmart camp mat so they will stand up and am reworking the mounting straps / system.

There are a limited number now on Ebay for $9.95 plus $7.99 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Silver-Wing-Tank-Bag-Luggage-Liner-Tankbag-Factory-Second-/111295342364?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e9b8271c&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
http://www.BigAssScooter.com
jb1016
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Thats hard to beat I paid $80 for mine
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:55 pm

jb1016 wrote:
Thats hard to beat I paid $80 for mine
Yup, hard to beat. I'll be posting the mods to the bags when finished. The stiff liner is nearly done and I will redo the mounting for the SWing over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
SteveO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:40 pm

ScooterBJ I just ordered mine  Smile so I will be looking for your modifications. It should be worth the money even if I strap it on the back  scratch .

SteveO
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 pm

ScooterBJ I just ordered mine too and am looking forward to the mods. It looks like a pretty nice bag and maybe a spray of water repellant will work too. At least on the sides and bottom. I'll have to wait until it comes to look it over more.
Back to top Go down
feuerwehr7
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Thu May 01, 2014 10:38 am

Bought one today. Can't wait to see your mod. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 460
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Thu May 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Ill take a look at this too.
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2013-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Sat May 03, 2014 11:13 am

eeeeha, think I got the last one! thanks for the heads up. looking forward to your fix! cheers 
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Sat May 03, 2014 11:38 am

Glad to hear many of you got this deal. I have the stiff liner made (pretty easy) and am working on the securing straps. It appears to be easier than I expected. I will probably sew on D-rings for a shoulder strap as well. The 2nd one I bought will mount similarly on the Burg400. I'll try to take pics for the mod writeup.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 985
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Sat May 03, 2014 12:45 pm

I just checked my tracking number and my bag is "Out For Delivery". It will be nice to get it. I'll be sitting on pins and needles waiting for ScooterBJ's mods so I can fix mine too. It looks like a nice bag in the photos but will be nice to see how it looks on the Wing.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Sat May 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Well after the stiff liner is inserted, the bag fits very snuggly between the seat and lower dash. The front of the bag has a small tab with a snap. The male portion of a matching snap can be screwed into the center of the square plug on the lower dash. This would hold the bag centered, and may be enough with the snug friction fit of the bag with liner. However, I do plan to add lower rear strap/s. Also, it is likely the front of the bag would buff the paint on the lower dash so I plan to cover the dash area with some clear paint protector film.

Basics of making the liner:
I started with a $7 Walmart foam camp mat (the rolled up blue ones). Unroll the mat and let it lay flat in the sun to lessen the curl. Then trace the sides of the bag on the mat. Use a razor blade knife to cut out and carefully trim each side until they fit snug inside the bag. Note: each side will vary so trim each to fit. When the sides are done do the same with the front and back of the bag. These pieces should fit between the foam side pieces. The ends do not need to cover the bottom. Also note the the end pieces may be wider at the top end so fit carefully. Once all four pieces are cut and fit, mark the corners so you know the orientation. Pull all pieces out and assemble together with pieces of masking tape at the corners. When the fit looks correct, use duct (duck) tape strips to hold the inside corners together. Be sure the tape is pressed into the corner completely. Then remove the masking tape and tape the outside corners with the duct tape. Next wrap a complete circle of duct tape around the outside. That's it.

If you want to make a bottom, it would work the same way. I had tried a couple types of glue initially, but nothing would stick well to the foam, and still be flexible. Reinsert the liner and fold the upper seams over the top of the foam. You may have to trim a bit.

I'll do a more detailed version, with a few pics, later. I wanted to get this up for those that wanted to get started.
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Wed May 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks BJ, but all this heat in SoCal is getting to me (102f today). Haven't been able to figure how the darn thing Is secured to the bike, with or without the snap. Looking forward to your pics. My wife says I'm a man, so visually stimulated. thanks again

Last edited by ebear695 on Wed May 14, 2014 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2481
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Wed May 14, 2014 2:18 pm

Velcro----I have 2 hump bags---use no straps---even with live dog in it, one bad(Givi) I just stuck Velcro on, the other had it sewn on.

One I screwed self taping eye screw in dash and used snap/clip.

I do find hump bags takes away the easy mounting of scooter---but does move carried weight down and in line of travel
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 879
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Thu May 15, 2014 6:37 am

My tunnel bag was originally for a motorcycle tank and came with flaps that open and stick with magnets. It fits in the swings tunnel area perfectly and looks like it was made for it. I let the magnetic flaps hang over the edge to secure it. The magnets do nothing as the tunnel is obviously plastic. Nothing is attached to the swing and i can just lift it out to fuel up! Fits snugly between seat and front. The bag never shifts or moves!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2965
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 am

I used a Chase Harper Eurosport tank bag as a tunnel bag on my Honda Helix for about six years and it was ideal, I just extended the nylon straps to run under the Helix and secured them to the Fastex buckles on the tank bag. The bag held loads of stuff, was waterproof, my route cards were easy to read, and the bag was easy to remove or simply push out of the way when refuelling.

Some members must have a tank bag left over from their biking days gathering dust on a shelf that could be utilised as a tunnel bag. Sadly my Chase Harper bag is too large to fit the space on the Silver Wing.  Sad 
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Thu May 15, 2014 5:16 pm

ok, after much thought, I took the darn bag out to the scoot, thought it would not fit because of the Corbin seat, with JB's comment about the snap being the front of the bag and the other half of the snap needs to be screwed to the dash, placing the bag in the unhump, it became obvious that the strap that snap/clips on the back of the bag goes under and around the front pivot of the seat. that works, will be secure with the front snap on the dash.

Now, just don't see what makes this bag a factory "second". don't care now, thanks JB
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Thu May 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Its's BJ, not JB -- a mistake often made. Anyway, I removed the rear buckles completely and made the bag mount differently as I wanted it to be quickly removable to fuel up. I hope to have the instructions done by tomorrow evening. But the rear buckles and strap are made to go around the seat hinge and is a perfectly fine way to mount it. I agree, I am not really sure why these were classified as 'seconds'. It's a pretty darn good bag.
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Bestem Bag Re-Do - Finished   Sat May 17, 2014 3:12 pm

OK. I finished one of the bags and here is the process as I did it. Bear in mind I went the extra mile, adding a should strap and making a mount strap for the fuel door, rather than just using adhesive velcro.  So the simpler methods can be used as an alternative. The process and pics are in PDF and can be download by clicking HERE
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2719
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Sat May 17, 2014 8:08 pm

I cut a piece of an old (oval) plastic wastebasket to slip inside the map window of my DJ Ellis tank bag, then spray painted it matte black. It adds a nice gentle arch to the top to give it a shape and keeps the rain from accumulating and sloshing into my crotch. There is usually enough crap in the bag to give the sides shape, so no other support is needed.

Tim
Back to top Go down
ebear695
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Sun May 18, 2014 10:12 am

Nicely done BJ!
Back to top Go down
chtwhite
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now   Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks for the great PDF file with all the instructions.

chtwhite
OKC
Back to top Go down

Great tank / tunnel bag deal on Ebay USA now
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: "Pictorials" Maintenance-