Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Plugged tire

Go down 
+17
Tommo
Art
exavid
Meldrew
cotetoi
oldgwingguy
AldusFran
model28a
Greysilver
MikeO
Old Limey
Mudnman
john grinsel
ScooterBJ
WingMan02
Dale N.
lalee
21 posters
AuthorMessage
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 5:54 pm

I put a Michellin Pure Power Tire on my Silverwing in the fall of last year. It has 2,000 miles on it. On my ride weekend before last, I picked up a roofing nail right in the center of the tire.... and it wedged into the tire in the corner of the deep tread against the tread. I pulled the nail out and used a plug on the tire. It does not leak but I am concerned about running that tire with a plug in it.

Thoughts?

I thought about dismounting the rim from the bike and taking it to my bike mechanic who also mounts tires and have him patch it from the inside, if necessary.... but that is quite a bit of work and he would charge me $30 to dismount and mount the tire.

Most of the time, when I have picked up a nail the tire was over half used up...so I just went ahead and changed it out, but this is almost a new tire. kinda in an uproar about this right now.

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 6:13 pm

I've used the string type of plug in many auto tires with no problems. I'm not really sure how they'd work in bike tires but they did plug all the holes and didn't leak.

I would think as long as the nail went in between the thicker tread there would be not much of a problem with it seeing as the tire rides on the tread. But then again, on a 4 wheel vehicle you have three other tires to hold you "up". On a bike there are only two and if you lose one...
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 6:24 pm

I would change it and not patch it if you plan on going on an extended trip with you Swing. If around town, then keep using it. I would also have the same dilemma if it happened to me. Then again, how much is your life worth? The $30 to have it patched from the inside, or $150 to have a new tire put on? Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm

On my cross-country in 2006 (Burgman 400), I stayed over in New Orleans which was only a few months after the hurricane. Debris was still everywhere and I did pickup a roofing nail in the rear tire tread area. As there was no hope of getting a tire, and installation, in a timely fashion I plugged it and rode the remaining 850 miles to Naples FL without issue. I rode another month, around town with the plug, then replaced the tire as I never trusted it.

I concur, replace the tire. cherry
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 pm

#1 safe---throw tire away replace with new

#2 demount tire from rim---have repaired from inside by tire pro

#3 plugs from outside are temp...to get to repair/replace facility.

I think rub on this forum is,, most here do not do own tire work so have extra expense. Tire dis-mounted, plugged from inside requires re-balance, too. AND oh to think scooters used to come with spare tire and wheel!
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Yep ,Spare tire on old Lambretta's and old Vespa's.Some would just carry an inter tube .The wheels were 2 piece rims,bolted together .
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 12:39 pm

When we had tubed tyres, i used to repair punctures with patches like everyone else. I have had a few punctures with Tubeless tyres and always Plugged them, and then rode as normal until tyre needed replacing,never had a problem. My theory is, the plug only comes ito contact with the ground once each rotation of the wheel, the repair is usually less than Quarter of an inch wide. Why throw away an otherwise perfectly good tyre, to me, it doesn't make sense. My puncture repair kit has plugs, rubber solution and a tool for putting the plug in, and two small compressed air cylinders for inflating the tyre. Smile 
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 pm

The AA will make a rider sign a disclaimer if they plug a tyre at the roadside and IIRC it says one shouldn't exceed 30 or 40 MPH (can't remember which).

I think their rational is that the tyre should be repaired professionally as soon as possible, i.e. the plug is a get-you-home/get-the-bike-to-the-repairer's measure only.

I think also they will not guarantee that there is no structural damage to the tyre - damaged cords or suchlike - which can only really be seen if the tyre is off the rim.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Scooter BJ's plan makes sense to me. Finish your ride then change the tire. It sucks but its safe and beats being across town with a low tire on Sunday afternoon (or worse).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 3:43 pm

adding experience/ miles here probably not too great------having had 2 high speed quick deflations in my life, do not want to experience the third. First Guzzi V-7, high speed S Curve----put me in field, little damage to me or bike but sure stirred up a lot of dirt. Lucky. Nail, tube tire

Second: BMW K-75, at least 80mph, middle of nite on freeway, returning from Sturgis----luck, rear tire, had to use whole roadway slowing down, little traffic Big roofing nail, tubeless tire.----spent nite on side of road. Trailer bikers do not stop, finally Goldwing rider stopped-he had phone, got towing company---took me to Goodyear dealer, BMW easy to remove rear wheel, tire repaired, re-balanced, got home at reduced speed

Had Bridgestone fly apart in Japan at not very high speed---35mph, tire did not deflate---but real thrill as handling not great....as things were falling apart. Helix tubeless rear. Earlier bike had been run wide open---but standard Helix (Fusion in Japan) had/has J rated --62mph speed rated tires----bike downhill, tailwind goes faster!

Sometimes---ride to Alaska or Mexico/Central America. good idea to carry tube that will work in front or back----repair tire with "boot" and go on your way. Walking sucks and delays expensive.

Anything that can be done for tire safety=good idea I did not go down on the above examples, just lucky but came close----secret....probably gentle slow down, feel for bike, Front Brake real gentle. After Stopped, rear end is lower, real bear to get heavy bike/scooter on centerstand.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Now that I have two Silverwings if the plug worked I would use the one with the repaired tire local in town. I wouldn't be comfortable on a all day ride that took me far from home with a plug in the tire.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: flat tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 am

I just had a flat on my rear Michelin Power Pure with only 2000mis. Something punctured it three miles from home (luckily) and now installed a plug until new tire arrives. What a waste.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 9:17 am

Depends on where in the tire the puncture is and how much life is left. A good from the inside out patch / plug ( NAPA ) should last out the tire life. Outside in plugs work but I much prefer the patch / plug unit.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 pm

We are so used to an abundance of caution that we adhere to the very letter of the word in warnings and safety precautions, etc. Nothing wrong with that; but it amazes me to see the beasts of burden (50-200 cc) motorcycles that are on the roads in Third World countries, running on poor or non-existent roads, carrying loads that would make a tractor-trailer driver cringe, and with 3-4 people hanging from them. Add the fact that these beasts hardly see any maintenance, are shod with threadbare tires, and suffer from other assorted ills. And they keep ticking.
I would think that a plugged tire on a SWing would do the trick and last out its life. I think the owner would ride with that in mind. I would. But it all depends on the comfort level of each rider.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 12:27 pm

Asia//third world work bikes probably running tubed tires---repaired by patches. Speeds low.

My take after you do thru the work of removing rear wheel, then tire from rim....to have tire repaired professionally from inside, just better to buy new tire and hope no punctures for awhile.

Japan---recent years the busy Honda Shop I used----kept a girl mechanic busy all the time, just repairing/patching----commercial fleets, Post Office, city water dept,
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Having looked at scores of small capacity small capacity motorcycles and scooters in Thailand and Vietnam just last month, I noticed plenty with badly worn rear tyres by UK standards but none were bald and down to the tyre carcass. There were also little workshops everywhere in urban and rural areas to service and repair these bikes and scooters with new, used, and recycled parts, and new and part worn tyres too.

The most popular bike in both Thailand and Vietnam was the 100cc/125cc Honda Wave and it's Chinese clone siblings. There wouldn't be much point in either of these countries riding round on completely bald tyres as you'd surely come off in heavy monsoon rain. Road surfaces were surprising good apart from the dual carriageway road we took to Saigon, there were a surprising amount of heavy bumps as we drove over the end of one road section onto another.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 6:40 pm

I plugged tire and it seemed alright but for around town travel. Ordered a new Michelin just to be safe on longer trips. I was thinking of inside patch job but by the time I remove tire and take it to a dealer it would be at least $30.00 . New tire is $57.00 shipped and I do the work. Can't believe what caused a puncture and I couldn't see any debris on road, oh well. Thanks guys for your inputs.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 9:26 pm

I agree with John, take it off and have it patched internally. Then you won't be worrying about it every time you hit the freeway. It's worth the effort and cost.

I carry and use plugs as a temporary patch but don't trust them for extended use or higher speeds especially with heavy loads or two up. With an internal patch the air pressure is helping keep the patch in place rather than opposing the plug. I've used internal patches on motorcycle tires in the past that held for the life of the tire without worry or problem.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 11:27 am

in my past as a Taxi fleet mechanic, I plugged 100s of tires, and I've driven 1000s of miles on plugged tires myself, including a trip from Austin to Coushatta in an ex Taxi with 7 plugs in one of the front tire and at least one in each of the others, most of the trip at 90 mph, with no issues
I probably wouldn't be so happy about doing that on a scooter or moto though, and certainly wouldn't recommend anyone else do it
for 60 bux, I'd replace the tire
however, I'd seriously consider Ride On in the new tire, I've seen the stuff work, and heard many a glowing recommendation for it
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 11:44 am

Ride On=not cheap but been using it for years as balancing method, and....it probably seals small leaks and maybe seals small punctures. Taking off used tire, all of the stuff lines center area of tire. Mess easy to wash off with water. But it does balance and tire remains balanced for its service life

Did not seal screw hole in recent incident----hole was too big. New tire was solution.
Back to top Go down
Tommo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tommo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-10-01

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 2:35 pm

I have a problem which I have been monitoring, whilst I have been off the road.
My front tyre was loosing pressure at a rate of 5lb psi per day, took wheel out and found that the tyre was not sealing on the rim, (it was a new tyre fitted before I had scoot) local tyre man removed tyre and cleaned up rim, refitted and it seemed ok, after checking for a few days, it's still loosing pressure, but only slightly, I can cope with that until tyre requires changing.
The main problem I have now is that I noticed that the rear tyre was flat, strange because I had not had a problem with the rear. I inflated it and next day it was down to 10lb psi, the following day and I can't see any nail or thorn or anything in the tyre, I have checked all around.
My question is, will that tyre sealer stuff fix it? as I don't want the hassle of removing rear wheel, It's too cold in my shed at the moment, (again it's a new tyre on the scoot when I had it) and if I can get away with it I would sooner leave the wheel in until the tyre needs changing.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 4:20 pm

my take--sealant might work, but after sealant installed,bike needs to be ridden to warm tire up and sealant to spread.

Rim leak-- because rim/bead area not well cleaned/prepped, maybe hard to seal without breaking tire and wheel down and cleaning.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Tommo, I would suggest you also check your valves. I had a similar problem on my Wing. The front was losing air, had it reseated - still losing. Checked round the valve seating, that was OK, it turned out to be a duff valve core. On the rear, the rubber had perished where the valve meets the rim.
Fitted a pair of the metal valves last year, straight on the front wheel, angled on the rear.
Up to now no problems.
(Not the right angled adapter, they tend to leak air when you fit and remove them, and I wouldn't advise leaving them on when riding.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?poi=&adpos=1s2&ul_noapp=true&geo_id=32251&MT_ID=10&crlp=86768220133_807&keyword=angled+motorcycle+valves&rlsatarget=kwd-144372804493&_nkw=angled+motorcycle+valves&device=c&crdt=0&treatment_id=7&clk_rvr_id=967183751138
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 6:14 pm

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145289942015214&key=ef2f0464c7ca0dd9dad82b27d27a85eb&libId=ijgaqh37010026sb000DAc8ww1r1i&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goldwingfacts.com%2Fforums%2F2-goldwing-technical-forum%2F512817-were-did-you-get-your-valve-stems-2.html&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motomummy.com%2Fvalve-stems%2Fbridgeport-90-degree-angled-valve-stem-set%2F&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&title=were%20did%20you%20get%20your%20valve%20stems!%20-%20Page%202%20-%20Steve%20Saunders%20Goldwing%20Forums&txt=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.motomummy.com%2Fvalve-stem...alve-stem-set%2F try this to see if the link works, metal 90 stems, I still have a couple sets of chrome 90 deg stems from my G'Wing days. Even with the all metal stems you should examine the rubber washers seals at each tire change.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 7:21 pm

On a trip with two friends on our Goldwings from Oregon to Georgia a few years ago one of the bikes had a mystery rear tire leak. The bike lost ten psi of air one afternoon. We stopped for the night, pumped up the tire and checked in in the morning before we started out. The pressure was still up that morning so off we went. About an hour later he'd lost about five psi. Long story shorter it was the valve neck. The little plastic gizmo that supports the neck was broken which allowed the valve neck to bend at speed. We found the leak by pressing the neck down and could hear the hiss. When not moving the crack was closed and no air was lost but sure was once the bike was running at speed.
Back to top Go down
Tommo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tommo

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 3:43 am

Thanks Chaps, I will check the valves.
- 5' here this morning. Brrrr.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 4:10 am

I remember I replaced the valve core on my rear tyre last year or the year before. I keep spare valve cores stored inside the body of an old ballpoint gel pen I keep in the bag of my Stop N' Go kit. With a pen you can store 4 or 5 inside the tube. To access them I remove the pen cap and unscrew the metal cap that used to hold the ballpoint pen in place.

.... I bet you'll all be doing this now!    Smile
Back to top Go down
Tommo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tommo

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 7:11 am

Found the problem, inflated rear tyre checked valve. Inspected rear tyre again and found no thorns or nails, listened for air leaks.
Squirted some Muck Off around the rim and immediately I could see air bubbles coming from all around the rim, both sides. So whoever fitted the tyres before I bought the Scoot, (according to the service records the tyres have only done 1000 ish mls) didn't do a very good job.
I tried inflating rear to 110 psi to see if it would seal, but no good, going to have to get rear wheel out and do job properly.
Happy days.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 9:35 am

FYI a fellow G'Winger was having a front wheel tire leak problem I traced it like you to a rim leak, the short of it is it wasn't the RIM at the sealing area but the TIRE. Close examination showed the bead itself wasn't processed correctly and had a rough area about 6 inches long. He didn't want to put another tire on so I bought some black RTV and liberally coated the tire in that area. I inflated to only 20 psi and let it set overnight then put in the full 40 psi, end of leak.cheers
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 2:57 pm

Tommo wrote:
Found the problem,  inflated rear tyre checked valve.  Inspected rear tyre again and found no thorns or nails, listened for air leaks.
Squirted some Muck Off around the rim and immediately I could see air bubbles coming from all around the rim, both sides. So whoever fitted the tyres before I bought the Scoot, (according to the service records the tyres have only done 1000 ish mls) didn't do a very good job.
I tried inflating rear to 110 psi to see if it would seal, but no good, going to have to get rear wheel out and do job properly.
Happy days.

Your tire may leak around the rim with 110 psi. Try bringing it down to 33 psi then check. If still leaking, you need to remove and clean the bead area and the rim. Someone may have deflated the tire to get it out sand/mud and rubbish got into the bead area.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 5:11 pm

A lot of people fail to clean the mating area of tire bead and rim thoroughly before mounting a new tire. It's worth the time to do that carefully.
Back to top Go down
Tommo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tommo

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 11:13 am

Sun shining here today 11'C so time to get into the shed and get the rear wheel out of Sw and take to tyre company, have asked them to ring when tyre is off rim, so that I can take a look and if it's in a bad way and then I can do something about it, don't want this problem again.
As for getting to wheel out, it was quite straight forward and easy, the only little snag I encountered was, the connector for the exhaust sensor was up behind the RH rear panel, so that had to come off to gain access to the plug.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 1:59 pm

When I take the rear wheel off (for new tyre, etc, ) ) I just turn the exhaust pipe sideways so it is upright on the floor I tie it loosely to the bike so it doesn't fall over. I never disconnect the exhaust sensor. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tommo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tommo

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 2:26 pm

Old Limey wrote:
When I take the rear wheel off (for new tyre, etc, ) ) I just turn the exhaust pipe sideways so it is upright on the floor I tie it loosely to the bike so it doesn't fall over. I never disconnect the exhaust sensor. Smile
Did think about doing that but wasn't sure how much slack I would have in the cable, I will try it next time, thanks. Smile
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Thousands of miles on tire plugs on my 83 Goldwing. Never had a problem with plugged nail holes. I would never plug a puncture. harley
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 pm

hardee41 wrote:
Thousands of miles on tire plugs on my 83 Goldwing. Never had a problem with plugged nail holes. I would never plug a puncture. harley

So what's the difference between a nail puncture and an "I would never plug a puncture" puncture?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 2:42 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
hardee41 wrote:

So what's the difference between a nail puncture and an "I would never plug a puncture" puncture?

Tim

Tim,
I think Harley meant that he would replace his tire than ride with a plugged tire. That is why he never had problems riding on a plugged tire because he has never ridden on a plugged tire.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 11:03 am

Easyrider wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
hardee41 wrote:

Tim

Tim,
I think Harley meant that he would replace his tire than ride with a plugged tire. That is why he never had problems riding on a plugged tire because he has never ridden on a plugged tire.

Harley's statement, "Thousands of miles on tire plugs on my 83 Goldwing.<> I would never plug a puncture", seems to be contradictory. Or am I missing something?
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 pm

I agree with Old Limey ; just carefully take exhaust sensor wire from the retainer inside of RH panel and stand your exhaust upright (rear down) and secure it from falling with a bungee or wire .This gives you the room to remove rear wheel.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2016 11:17 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Easyrider wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
hardee41 wrote:

Tim

Tim,

Harley's statement, "Thousands of miles on tire plugs on my 83 Goldwing.<> I would never plug a puncture", seems to be contradictory. Or am I missing something?
If you are I'm missing it too, last time I checked a nail hole is a puncture, though a puncture isn't always a nail hole
something like 80% of all flats I've seen have been nails / screws, at a rough guesstimate
Maybe he meant side wall puncture?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plugged tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plugged tire   Plugged tire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plugged tire
Page 1 of 1