Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Owner, Old Bike

Go down 
+4
Mudnman
"Hi Yo"
MikeO
ABQ
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ABQ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ABQ

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2014-04-19

New Owner, Old Bike Empty
PostSubject: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Hello. I recently bought a 2003 Silverwing w/ low miles.
The former owner had babied it. He added a GIVI windshield and a J.Costa Velositor. I have no idea what a velositor is or what it does, but the bike runs smooth and quick.

As for me, I had owned a BMW r1150GS. After I had my right leg below the knee amputated last July the BMW was too difficult to handle. So I sold it and bought the Silverwing. So far it has been much easier to handle. I look forward to riding it daily.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 5:06 pm

Hello and welcome!
You aren't the first biker who's moved to a T&G maxiscooter for some reason or other.

At least one other member here is missing part of a leg and manages extremely well on his Silverwing - I know cos I've seen him do it! Smile 

I think the Velositor is probably the variator, part of the transmission.

Back to top Go down
ABQ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ABQ

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Yes, you are correct. It is a variator.
Here is a link to a thread about it on this forum:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t8-j-costa-variator
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Owner, Old Bike 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 7:23 pm

cheers   cheers   welcome   cheers   cheers 
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Howdy,I haven't tried these pins or the seller but I found these.
http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-396-Dr-Pulley-Gliding-J-Costa-Roller-Weights-TMAX
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 10:59 pm

welcome 
ABQ ...  You are gonna like being here with fellow Swingers.

I have diabetic Neuropia that at times makes my legs almost useless. That is why I had to convert to a trike kit. Couldnt hold up a two wheeler now if my life depended on it. I do miss the feeling of the leaning in the curves, but I have to take it as it is. At least I am riding.
Have a great Easter weekend.
Back to top Go down
ABQ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
ABQ

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am

The former owner of my bike had dizzy spells which caused him to sell it. He had dropped it one day during one of his spells. That was tragic for him. He reaally hated to see it go.
A few weeks ago I had been riding my BMW when my Leg Fell Off! That was awkward. The people driving behind me were kind enough to stop and help me. That incident was my motivation to get my silverwing.
I am surprised at the low mpg for this scooter. Even the old BMW got better mpg. Maybe it's because I flog it...
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Welcome aboard, I am glad the SWing works well for you! As to the MPG the early models did worse in that area. And realistically a CVT is NOT as economical as a chain drive. But I would not change it for the world  Wink 
Back to top Go down
gadget
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-10-04

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 pm

hi guys gadget here from the U K , like to comment on Hagon shocks, my wing was handing very bad on max:settings we felt every bump and uneven road surface.my wife said she was not
riding pillion till i fixed it. So I added up the max:load and found we were at the limit with a weeks gear for a holiday.the front end was very loose and a job to hold the bars strieght.
rang Dave at Hagon , told him total load, he sent me a pair
about
£159 all in & the cost to fit was £125 total. now it is totaly
transformed rides more like a bike now, so much better for us
I also run the rear tyre 2 p s i over. It has moved a lot of wieght
to front end producing a very pleasant ride and more stable.
it was a lot of dosh but worth it to us,as i did not feel safe as
it was
Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Stuff on older S'Wing   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 5:53 pm

ABQ wrote:
Hello. I recently bought a 2003 Silverwing w/ low miles.
The former owner had babied it. He added a GIVI windshield and a J.Costa Velositor. I have no idea what a velositor is or what it does, but the bike runs smooth and quick.

As for me, I had owned a BMW r1150GS. After I had my right leg below the knee amputated last July the BMW was too difficult to handle. So I sold it and bought the Silverwing. So far it has been much easier to handle. I look forward to riding it daily.

Sounds like you got a great S'Wing there. Being a 2003, there are things you would want to address from a reliability standpoint, even if it is low miles. I have been spending the winter replacing parts and doing upgrades on my December purchased 2004 S'Wing, which is my 3rd.

My 2004 was well maintained and had 14K miles. As I have been doing all this it is fresh in my mind.

Make sure the tires have not hardened up from age, even with good tread. Check the wheel bearing for smoothness. You may find the front fork springs very weak, especially since you were riding a GS prior. Many of us have used the HyperPro kit to upgrade the springs and handling.

As you probably know, it is a good idea to flush all the fluids including the final drive. I learned from this forum how the fuel pressure regulator goes bad with age and causes rich running. It is pretty easy to replace and is around $35.

The belt should be replaced due to age, if it has not been in recent years. The J Costa is awesome in performance but wears out the weights quickly (in my experience) and you should certainly check those. If you were to go to the stock variator you might want to consider some Dr. Pulley sliders to replace the stock rollers. Be sure to clean out the belt dust and wash the belt air filter at the same time.

I also did quite a few upgrades to mine over it's Winter disassembly, most of which you will find on this excellent forum.

Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Owner, Old Bike   New Owner, Old Bike I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Owner, Old Bike
Page 1 of 1