Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
British members I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
British members I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
British members I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
British members I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
British members I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
British members I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
British members I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
British members I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
British members I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
British members I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

British members

Go down 
+2
Meldrew
Greysilver
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

British members Empty
PostSubject: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 1:05 pm

Who ever lives closest to Towton please ride over and tell the rest of us how it feels and appears. Thank you.

GSTQ Greysilver
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Towton is just a small nondescript rural village a few miles outside the city of York in North Yorkshire where old Brubaker and myself live. There's signs saying the Battle of Towton was fought there and a stone cross and that's about it.

The battle itself during the Wars of the Roses in 1461 was supposed to have been the 'bloodiest battle fought on English soil', and two hundred years later the Battle of Marston Moor in 1644 during the English Civil War was fought in the area too.

There's nothing special to see and it doesn't evoke thoughts of the senseless slaughter of thousands of young men like the World War 1 Cemeteries, and Memorials in Northern France do.

A few days ago Mrs M and myself visited the Memorial Site at the burned out village of Oradour-sur-Glane near Limoges, where in June 1944 a detachment of Waffen SS troops murdered over 600 villagers of all ages before looting and burning the village.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 1:57 pm

That's Yorkshire men for you, always fighting somebody. i bet they charged them for using the fields as well. Laughing 
Back to top Go down

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 4:10 pm

I know what you mean Mildrew. I grew up in Manassas Virginia, where the first battle of the American Civil War took place. The battlefields are preserved as tourist locations and don't really evoke great battles in any way.

There are actually pictures from the time of local civilians gathering on the hillside to have picnics and "watch" the battle take place, if you can imagine such a spectacle.

When I was a youngster we used to go sledding down that hillside when it was covered in snow, without even thinking of all the bloodshed that took place there.

Sorry to threadcrap but Mildrews post made me think of it. If anyone wanted to ride in the eastern US, civil war battlefields might make for some entertaining day trips.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Oradour-sur-Glane:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13pwg5_the-world-at-war-ep-1-a-new-germany-1933-1939_shortfilms
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 5:30 pm

Just wander through northern France and Belgium and see the war cemeteries. They are everywhere. Not just the graves, but the memorials to the thousands who's bodies were never found/identified. Theipval and the Menin Gate for example.

That is why Remembrance is important. Not specifically to remember the dead, but to remind ourselves of the atrocities that man is prepared to inflict upon his fellows in the name of some high ideal or quest for power.

Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 pm

DuggleBogey wrote:
I know what you mean Mildrew. I grew up in Manassas Virginia, where the first battle of the American Civil War took place. The battlefields are preserved as tourist locations and don't really evoke great battles in any way.

There are actually pictures from the time of local civilians gathering on the hillside to have picnics and "watch" the battle take place, if you can imagine such a spectacle.

When I was a youngster we used to go sledding down that hillside when it was covered in snow, without even thinking of all the bloodshed that took place there.

Sorry to threadcrap but Mildrews post made me think of it. If anyone wanted to ride in the eastern US, civil war battlefields might make for some entertaining day trips.

FWIW. That's Meldrew
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 pm

I have a wonderful wife that tolerates my penchant for battlefields and cemetery's. About 10 years ago we went to France rode tgv from Paris to Lille and from Lille drove the Western Front of 1016 - 1918 to Vosges mountains. The British Somme and Canadian Vimy were two of the best stops. Beaumont Hamel (77,000 missing) being deeply moving. We saw Vedun and the American Sectors.
Thank for the report from Towton, it is on my bucket list
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 9:06 pm

As is Oradour-sur-Glane  Sad  .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

British members Empty
PostSubject: Re: British members   British members I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

British members
Page 1 of 1