Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Leo Vince muffler.

Go down 
+6
micbusathens
dspevack
bigbird
bikerboy
Meldrew
ericclapham
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 am

I recently fitted one of these to my '07 Swing and was very impressed by the quality of the product including the mounting hardware, Top gear . It took me about 45mins. to complete a very easy installation. The new unit is wee bit louder at standstill and around the traps but seems the same at highway speeds .It does however provide a nice deeper rumble to the exhaust note.What was a bit disconcerting on that first run was the a-poppin'n'a-bangin' that occurs on the overrun e.g. slowing and stopping at traffic lights. Is this normal or does something need tweaking somewhere ? I am also left with a thin round SS disc of 50mm diameter which has five 9mm holes punched in it with the no.50 stamped on one side. This was not identified by either the written or pictorial instructions but it is fairly obvious that it is a baffle for somewhere in the muffler outlet. Could its omission be the cause of the noise described and - where is it meant to fit???
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 5:04 am

G'day mate, our Canadian friend bigbird is the bloke with the answers to your queries, he fitted a Leo Vince to his Silver Wing a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 am

I too have the disc (somewhere!) as I could find no mention of it in the instructions.  The popping on the overrun tends to go once the system is really hot.  I suspect that the cone joint gets tighter as things heat up and expand.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 8:39 am

I just read the thread title and you piqued my interest in this one.
My LeoVince 8552 muffler was apparently the first imported into N. America 3 years ago for me by the US distributor. Perhaps it has since been redesigned, as I had no disc supplied as you describe. I do have a rather large drilled tube that is called the dB Killer, and is just a fancy name for the baffle that makes the muffler acceptably loud for street use. This tube slides into the end of the muffler and tightens with an hex screw. Removing the dB Killer made the exhaust ridiculously loud and annoying, especially at steady highway rpm. The droning drove me crazy. After that highway ride, I put the dB Killer back in and haven't removed it since.
The popping and crackling on throttle back off is normal. It's caused by air injected into the exhaust system by the PAIR valve in the engine. It's purpose is to complete the combustion of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust, before they pass through the catalytic converter in the stock muffler. It's normal. I like it, but if you don't, you could always disable your PAIR valve. Check the service manual if that's the route you want to go. You really don't need the PAIR valve once the stock muffler is removed, because then the catalytic converter is gone as well. I have left my PAIR valve intact. Hope this helps, even though I have no idea about the drilled disc you both have.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 am

I was one of the early ones to fit a leo vince exhaust on my bike, somewhere around 2004.
That model was the "4road" exhaust. I don't know if that is the same model you have.
Keep in mind that certain later stock exhausts also had an oxygen sensor.
Do not know if Leo Vince was modified to adapt to that.

I recommend adding to your bike a power commander.
This device, when properly mapped, will optimize your fuel/air mixture across the power band.
This should improve gas mileage, and reduce the crackling and popping from unburned fuel.

As far as the DB killer goes, I saw a very interesting modification.
A person had used extra long versions of the screws provided and placed them inside springs.

When there was little pressure, such as at idle or low speeds the springs kept the db killer in place.
As the pressure (speed) increased the db killer was pushed out of place (against the springs) allowing more air to flow.

Thus he had the best of both worlds. Quieter at idle and faster at speed.

Dan
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re Leo Vince Muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks one and all for the replies . The unit is the 8552 mentioned complete with dB killer and the adptr.to fit the O2 sensor or not with a blanking plug provided.My Swing is a late '07 made in October of that year which has a sensor and which I re-installed. As I have only ridden a short distance since the change-over I might just leave things as they are for now as I can quite easily live with the crackle. It does,as mentioned ,tend to lessen as things heat up.As for the mystery disc,for interests sake, I guess I could contact the manufacturer.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 3:34 pm

PAIR valve is the answer to your problem as bigbird describes above.Usually you struggle a hose from the air filter box which leads to the PAIR valve in order to bypass it.I'm not sure for SW though.Keep us informed .
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: RE Leo Vince Muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks agin guys.Would disconnecting the PAIR valve solenoid have the desired effect without upsetting any of the other electrickery ?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 am

ericclapham wrote:
Thanks agin guys.Would disconnecting the PAIR valve solenoid have the desired effect without upsetting any of the other electrickery ?

Shocked

Very cool word.  I'll have to start using it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 am

The PAIR valve is a mechanical device. It doesn't need any electrickery, as it is just a reed valve. The solenoid, which relies on electrickery, allows the flow of filtered air from the PAIR valve into the exhaust once the engine is warmed up ( up to model year '07) or the emissions control system is in closed loop mode ('08 and after).
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: RE Leo Vince Muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 am

17:34:53DSPEVAK .Feel free to use the word .I have picked it up somewhere on my travels. Another phrase I like when referring to things electrical is "the jelly beans."
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2014 11:23 pm

Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 8552 and stock that it replaces?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:27 am

LDB wrote:
Does anyone know what the weight difference is between the 8552 and stock that it replaces?

The 8552 is a straight through design with no internal baffling. It also has no catalytic converter, as does the stock muffler. The 8552 weighs 9 lbs. The stock muffler weighs 18 lbs (I just weighed mine for you), for a net savings of...... 9 lbs.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 9:42 am

Thank you for doing that. That would be a nice weight reduction.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 10:26 am

LDB wrote:
Thank you for doing that. That would be a nice weight reduction.

You're welcome.

For another 5-6 lb weight reduction, you can replace the stock AGM Yuasa battery with a Shorai or similar Li-Fe battery.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Won't a straight-thru muffler cause the engine to run lean? If so, how could you compensate for that lean condition without reverting to a Power Commander?

Tim
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 12:48 pm

That's a good plan although I'll probably run the stock battery for a year at least. When it's time for a new batter I'll definitely go that direction.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 15, 2014 6:04 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Won't a straight-thru muffler cause the engine to run lean? If so, how could you compensate for that lean condition without reverting to a Power Commander?

Tim

On the '08 and later models the Lambda (O2) sensor detects too much or too little O2 in the exhaust. A rich mixture needs more O2 to burn completely, and a lean mixture will have excess O2 (needs more fuel to use the excess O2). The high voltage (rich) or low voltage (lean) from the O2 sensor goes to the ECU, which adjusts the fuel injector pulse width (how long the injector remains open), determined by many parameters.
So any fuel injected engine with a closed loop operating system (lambda sensor) can control the fuel mixture based on its own self monitoring. An open loop system, like those used on '07 and earlier Silverwing engines, would need a Power Commander or similar device to remap the pulse width adjustment. However, a Power Commander also adjusts ignition timing as well as fuel injection mapping.
So yes, Tim, an '07 or older would require a Power Commander to not run lean, an '08 or newer, no.
I have checked the plugs on my '09 a couple of times with the LeoVince straight through muffler, and their burn signature is perfect. Of course I reinstalled my O2 sensor in the LeoVince. if I didn't, I would have a bag of problems.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Does anyone know where I can purchase a 8552 ?   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 3:24 pm

I would like to purchase a Leo Vince 8552.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2014 4:03 pm

kreiseldave, do it there's nothing stopping you. Now if you want some advice or help with something it would be best if you introduced yourself HERE Then post any questions you may have. This site is a very helpful site, but a introduction is the best first post.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Leo Vince muffler. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Leo Vince muffler.   Leo Vince muffler. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leo Vince muffler.
Page 1 of 1