Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A few front end problems

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
havelet2013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-02-05

A  few front end problems Empty
PostSubject: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Hello again,
Picked the wife up from work on the Silverwing last night and she is very impressed, she likes the sound of the engine and was very comfortable.
The problem that is getting on my nerves is a constant clonk from the front wheel, not a serious clonk just a regular clonk as the wheel goes round.
It sounds like something is knocking the front mud guard. I have had a look today and can not find anything. If you lift the wheel off the ground you can't hear it. while I was looking. I noticed some fluid on the brake calliper, when I checked that I found that it is shock oil, so I would assume that that is the seal that needs replacing. I also noticed that the brake pads are quite low.
Does anyone have any idea what the knocking could be and how long in labour
time would the seal be? I will try and have the brakes done at the same.
Thank you, Jeff Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Not sure what the DONK is - but from what you described I suggest you (you or dealer) check it out and make any necessary repairs before riding it any more. I would not ride a SWing in condition described until I got it repaired. Let us know more about the DONK! And, good luck.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Describing the noise as a Clonk, or as Dimond calls it, a Donk, is funny. I have no idea what a Clonk or Donk sounds like.
Doing the seals (you need to do both at the same time, otherwise be prepared to do the whole job again if you only do the leaking one) is fairly time consuming. I'd say at least 2 hours in labour at a shop. They might tell you that the whole front end tupperware has to come off. Not true. You can remove both front forks without removing the front end plastic.
Back to top Go down
havelet2013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Thank you both, the clonk or Donk is more like a plasticky sound, just like tapping the mud guard with the back of your finger. I know a chap who is a good motorcycle mechanic and cheap, so I will get the things done with him.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Next time you go for a ride gently apply the front brake (right lever only) with out changing speed and see if this makes a difference. Disk brakes are susceptible to picking up dirt,small stones etc. If this changes things there might be some foreign object on one of the front brake pads.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
havelet2013
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:08 am

Thank you, NWSSC,
It could be something to do with the front brakes, although they stop fine.
There is not a great deal of pad left on them so maybe they are rattling on the disc as it turns.
I think I will do the pads first and see if that helps, then later on I will book the S/wing in,to get the fork seals done. Other than that I am very happy with the bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few front end problems   A  few front end problems I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few front end problems
Page 1 of 1