Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Servicing. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Servicing.

Go down 
+2
"Hi Yo"
ericclapham
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am

In reply to my intro Cosmic Jumper asked for info on the progress of my planned Major service . First up I tackled the spark plugs.These are easy to access-if a bit fiddly- and this task could be achieved with the tools in the makers toolkit but is much easier with a deep 3/8th drive 16mm plug socket with rubber insert and a longish 3/8th extension /ratchet or bar.The insert makes removal/refit so much easier. Next I tackled the rear trans.oil.This procedure is covered in depth elsewhere in this forum and is quite straightforward. I had a large syringe at hand and this put the req'd 320cc into the housing with minimum spill . Today I approached an oil/filter change with much trepidation having read in this forum about the drain plug shearing but in the event all went smoothly and job done. My local dealer had a HiFlo HF204 replacement in stock which was the one I fitted .The one that was removed was a K & N KN204. This had a 17mm hex. as part of the filter and would be my preference for next time . Still to do is brake fluid /coolant change and battery installation check.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Servicing. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 6:16 am

cheers   cheers  Isn't it nice to learn from those who have gone before us. Thanks to all of them!  cheers   cheers 
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 7:55 am

It is amazing that servicing is not as daunting as it may first appear. Once you get to it, it goes pretty smooth. You don't mention the air filter. That job will take about an hour or so (at least it did for me the first time). Not particularly hard just step by step removal of some plastic to find the filter! There is a very good pictorial elsewhere on the forum that details the change.

At least the Silver Wing filter is easier to get at then on the Goldwing GL1800. Egad, talk about hide and seek... LOL
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 8:55 am

GHM-PM I did forget to mention about the air filter but hopefully one is winging its way from K & N as we speak . The very good pictorial you mentioned has already been sussed so I don't anticipate any probs. Also forgot to mention that the 13200K in my initial post =8202miles so a belt renewal is still some way down the track . Finally , anyone out there know where I can source a front fender extender ?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:55 am

P&J Cycle has fender trims and mud flaps , do a search  on fender extender.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

ericclapham wrote:
GHM-PM I did forget to mention about the air filter but hopefully one is winging its way from K & N as we speak . The very good pictorial you mentioned has already been sussed so I don't anticipate any probs. Also forgot to mention that the 13200K in my initial post =8202miles so a belt renewal is still some way down the track . Finally , anyone out there know where I can source a front fender extender ?

Ah, well done, although some will take you to task for the K&N!!! I put one in my Silver Wing about 7K ago with NO problems and the Goldwing will get one too (oh horrors). Air filters are kind of like oil filters, people get very heated about them. My opinion is that I don't want to have to undertake the work necessary to access them because of the work involved so the K&N is the ticket (ducking).  :lol!: 
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
My opinion is that I don't want to have to undertake the work necessary to access them because of the work involved so the K&N is the ticket 

Seems to me that the K&N needs to be cleaned just as frequently that the OEM filter need to be changed. So actually you are not saving any labor. Removing one is just as much a PITA as the other. And given the fact that you've got to wait while you hang the K & N out to dry then re-oil the filter element would seem to give the OEM filter a 'replace & go' advantage.

That said, the K & N has the cost advantage because you only have to purchase it once.

Tim
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 3:59 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:
My opinion is that I don't want to have to undertake the work necessary to access them because of the work involved so the K&N is the ticket 

Seems to me that the K&N needs to be cleaned just as frequently that the OEM filter need to be changed. So actually you are not saving any labor. Removing one is just as much a PITA as the other. And given the fact that you've got to wait while you hang the K & N out to dry then re-oil the filter element would seem to give the OEM filter a 'replace & go' advantage.

That said, the K & N has the cost advantage because you only have to purchase it once.

Tim

Actually Tim for street machines the K&N is rated for 50,000 miles before cleaning. Not sure I would wait that long for the OEM filter... That said I usually service them about 35K but that is still an improvement. You do have to purchase a cleaning kit for about 10 bucks but it will clean many filters. I have K&N units in my truck, my car and my wife's car plus the SW. Tomorrow, hopefully the Goldwing will get one also. So yes, I have had lots of practice cleaning them.

But each to his/her own. If you feel more comfortable with an OEM then so be it.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 pm

If not for sponsorship, would anyone in their right mind run a K & N in the Baja 500?
Just askin'.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Terry

I'd think that one of those centrifugal-type pre cleaners would be more appropriate for Baja than a paper/fabric K&N filter. But money talks...

Tim
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

I'd think that one of those centrifugal-type pre cleaners would be more appropriate for Baja than a paper/fabric K&N filter. But money talks...

Hi Tim

The HEPA filter on my Kenmore Progressive upright vacuum would catch way more fluff (and sub-fluff) than any K & N.
As I said somewhere before in this forum, I'm done with K & N after seeing its filtering ability, or lack thereof, compared to the stock Honda pleated paper element.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Servicing. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Servicing.   Servicing. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Servicing.
Page 1 of 1