Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ABS Model ????

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
GHM-PM
LN
pauldeere
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-19

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm

I recently purchased a 2007 Silverwing. I've ben reading as much as I can on this forum to educate myself particularly on maintenance items. I see mentioned that some models are equiped with ABS brakes and some are not. Question: How can I tell if my Scoot is a ABS model?... Thanks in advance.....
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 pm

My first bike was without ABS and I was very close to die to many times.
If I only had an ABS model, I would've been able to avoid the car in front of me. Both my wheels locked and I went for a sleigh ride in the last direction I was pointing ... powerless. Search on YouTube for ABS motorcycle test. I personally think that should be illegal to sell a bike without it. There is no way a human can pulsate the brakes as fast as the ABS does.

ABS / NON ABS
1. Turn bike on. Does the first light on the left stay ON RED ? ABS
2. Look at the front wheel. Left side, as you are sitting on it. See the round holes from the brake disk...that is not it, look closer. You will see a small ring , the size of your palm with many rectangular holes in it. ABS

Picture on the left is the ABS model . The one on the right is not
http://www.honda.co.jp/SILVERWING/equip/brake/image/pic01.jpg

See the ring with the little holes. You will be able to see that on any bike just by looking at the front wheel

3. The same ring is on the rear wheel. ABS

Good luck
Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 am

Paul, your SWing may have ABS or not. Check the pic above and you should be able to tell. My 2012 came with ABS as it is no longer an option. Now after having it over a year I would not likely switch to a bike without that feature. True for years we got by without it on our 2 wheelers, as we did in our cars. BUT this feature works so well and requires no particular service, in fact does not even come in to play UNLESS you need it, so for safety's sake it is a good option.

My son was on a freeway in So. Cal last week and (on a KLR 650) was immediately behind an accident, in fact he locked up his rear tire to avoid rear-ending one of the vehicles. He started to slide and rear tire started to swing out...he released brake and was able to control the bike and avoid the accident by inches. Point is he has a worn spot on his new rear tire now and ABS would have helped him loads. He is a very experienced rider and a professional driver, I shudder to think of the end result for a beginning bike rider.

End of sermon for today! small moped 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 12:10 pm

It's even simpler on an FJS Silver Wing, the front mudguard/fender has ABS & Combined Brake System printed in big lettering on each side.  Smile

Don't forget you've got to pull the brakes on hard enough for the ABS to kick in and that's normally harder than on a non ABS equipped motorcycle or scooter. Also you're conditioned not to lock up the brakes, I've felt the ABS pulsing through the handlebars quite early on my 650 Burgman but I've never noticed it on the Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Guessing that you asking the question means it is not ABS - please let us know. If not, ride the SWing and see how you like it - maybe keep it for a while. If you like it and ride it often then IMHO you should buy one with ABS and then sell your 2007 - you will not regret this move.
Back to top Go down
pauldeere
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-09-19

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 23, 2013 7:34 pm

Checking the scoot, using the pics. as guidlines, my 2007 is not ABS........Thanks for the info....
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 24, 2013 12:39 pm

I checked my 2005 scoot for the distinguishing rings on the brakes. They are there, and so is the ABS light on the dash. I read somewhere that this is a $1000.00 option. I got a great bike for a great price !! I love every minute I ride on it.
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-14

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 7:25 am

Meldrew wrote:
It's even simpler on an FJS Silver Wing, the front mudguard/fender has ABS & Combined Brake System printed in big lettering on each side.  Smile
This is not always the case... at least around here. I have looked at several Swings before I purchased this one for my wife. A few had the ABS feature but none had the graphics on the front fender.

Look for the ABS light and the inner rotational disc. Also, the model number has the letter "A" at the end somewhere I think, though not 100% sure.

In any respect, I am making up a custom graphics package for her and having the vinyl cut by a local shop. It will feature a unique ABS logo among others. She loves the idea that it is a Silverwing... a little sister to our Goldwing and wants the same pin striping so they will match.

Tim.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
ABS Model ???? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:16 am

Tim, the Swings you looked at were probably not the FJS version. Different areas of the world get different ones. This is one reason we encourage new members to introduce themselves. I hope we see some pictures of your graphics package. It sounds interesting. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Mr Magic Fingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mr Magic Fingers

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-09-14

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 am

Yes… Hers is an FSC600 according to the paper work. A Canadian version I guess?

I am still learning the in’s and out’s of this bike. I know when I look up the fender on some of the on-line parts houses; they show the fender with the ABS decal on it.

Anyhow, it will get some “bling” over the next few months.

Tim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABS Model ???? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS Model ????   ABS Model ???? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS Model ????
Page 1 of 1