Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
crush washers. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

crush washers.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am

Hi guys ( and gals), I knew I had forgotten to mention something when I did the final drive oil change. I came across crush washers on both the drain and the filling hole. I examined them and found them to be okay to re-use; but in other manuals ( ACE 750 ) they recommend replacing them. I guess this is another item that I will buy by the dozen next time I am at the dealership.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 12:38 pm

I have often re-used these two crush washers - 8mm - cost about $3each - not sure why they can not be re-used and re-used? Who re-uses and have you ever had a problem? My theory on re-use is tat the threads are so long that I will see a leak before I loose the bolt - but not too sure about this. Can you get a substitute crush washer at less cost somewhere? Where? I think the antifreeze drain also uses a crush washer - but different size.
Back to top Go down

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 1:04 pm

This may be a UK/US spec thing but the washers on my 2001 model are flat copper (rather than what I would call a crush washer which I would expect to find on an exhaust system).
It may equally be a terminology thing where in the US a flat copper washer is described as crush due to it's ability to deform a little when under pressure.
Assuming this is a terminology thing,then the reason for renewing is that copper "work hardens" & with repeated use can crack due to the afore mentioned hardening.
The internal & surface stresses caused by "work Hardening" can be relieved by heating the washer/gasket uniformly to bright cherry red & then either plunging into cold water or allowing to fully cool naturally,this will anneal it back to it's original soft condition.
A good way to ensure uniform heating is to lay the washer/gasket on a thin sheet of brass & heat the sheet from underneath,this method was shown to me many years ago by a clockmaker when I was trying to re-use a copper cylinder head gasket on my Triumph Bonneville.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 1:59 pm

The Bern wrote:
This may be a UK/US spec thing but the washers on my 2001 model are flat copper (rather than what I would call a crush washer which I would expect to find on an exhaust system).
The 'crush' washers on my 2003 and 2008 SWings were silver in color and I don't think they were copper under that silver - but I never cut one apart to check in this. The only place that I have encountered a copper washer is under the allen bolt on the bottom of each front fork. I am guessing that Honda used a 'crush' washer on the final drive oil and antifreeze bolts to better seal against fluid loss at low torque values while maintaining bolt tightness; whereas the crush washers elsewhere (exhaust manifold/forks) are copper to deform so that misalignment will not stress the metal that the bolts are threaded into - IMHO.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 2:20 pm

The washers I have always been given for drain plugs on my Hondas appear to be aluminium and function the same way as a copper one but with no risk of electrolytic reactions on the alloy castings .. I believe they can also be annealed but I'm not sure it's worth it as they are pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm

Re-use them.No trouble
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

crush washers. Empty
PostSubject: Re: crush washers.   crush washers. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

crush washers.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: