Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 

Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Wed 24 Jul 2013, 18:49

I have looked at my service manual and searched this site and I don't see anything about a way to check the fork oil. I think there is a little too much give (but I'm not sure) in the front forks. I don't seem to have any leaks but I'd like to be able to check to make sure it has the correct amount of fork oil. Is there a way to check that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Wed 24 Jul 2013, 19:22

Yep,workshop manual FJS6001,section 14-16 says...

Pour the specified amount of recommended fork fluid in the fork tube.

302 +/- 2.5 cm3(10.2 =/- 0.08 US oz)

Slowly pump the fork tube several times to remove trapped air.
Compress the fork tube fully & measure the oil level from the top of the tube.

OIL LEVEL : 97mm(3.8in)

Pull the fork tube up fully.Install the spring with the tightly wound end facing down.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 06:44

Can someone please explain the thread title to me, I'm a little confused!Smile 

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 10:00

Fundermold, it refery mostload to oil leaky squirt squirt and loss of springy bounce on front wheel loader.

Oh yes.

Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 12:29

I appreciate the replies, but that only tells me how to change it. How do I determine if I NEED to add some or change it?

Also, the title was kind of a joke because of the requirement that titles be a certain length and my inabaility to read WHY the thing didn't post the first few times.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 15:43

New bike don't worry about it----then at 50,000 miles--take fork legs off, turn over to drain, proper amount of oil, the right kind. Old bike try the 50,000 mile deal. OEM Honda hop manual handy I nice. I use gaiters to protect seals.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1101
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 16:06

smorkle wrote:

Also, the title was kind of a joke because of the requirement that titles be a certain length and my inabaility to read WHY the thing didn't post the first few times.

Understand it now.

Could of used 'My_Forking_Oil' Laughing 

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 16:54

smorkle wrote:
How do I determine if I NEED to add some or change it?

See post from 'The Bren', since you need to remove each fork you might as well replace the oil while you are there...

The Bern wrote:
Yep,workshop manual FJS6001,section 14-16 says...

Slowly pump the fork tube several times to remove trapped air.
Compress the fork tube fully & measure the oil level from the top of the tube.

OIL LEVEL : 97mm(3.8in)
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 21:13

Is there then no way to check it without removing and disassembling it?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Thu 25 Jul 2013, 21:16

Yes there is there then no way to check it without removing and disassembling it.
Back to top Go down
stanly
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2013-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Fri 26 Jul 2013, 13:29

model28a wrote:
Yes there is there then no way to check it without removing and disassembling it.

Couldn't you just measure down that 97mm or is it impossible to take the tube caps off and replace them while in the bike?
I'm interested in this topic as would like to replace my fork oil, but seems like pulling fork tubes out is extreme.
Know what the stock vis oil is (can't seem to find, manual just says Honda oil part no.)?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255   Fri 26 Jul 2013, 15:03

stanly,you will need to pull the forks from the yolk as the measurement is taken with the springs removed from the fork leg
Back to top Go down

Fork Oil and then enough charicters to reach between 10 and 255
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1