Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

rubbing belt

Go down 
+4
Colin B
tinman
jmaslak
hotwings
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 pm

I got bored this evening so went to my garage to putter around a bit. I started to dust off the Swing then decided to see for myself what kind of condition the drive belt was in. I have never removed the belt covers before and was interested to see the workings underneath. I removed the plastic covers and cleaned the filter under the front cover. I then removed the aluminum cover and was a little concerned with the way the belt appears to have rubbed on the aluminum housing. Its the same on the top and bottom of the housing. Is this normal? The bike got 18k klms on it now. The belt measures 27mm (1 3/32") at its widest part. What does a new belt measure?

rubbing belt Photo_11
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Yes, the two Silver Wings I've worked on do this too - one is a 2012 and one a 2007. Both did it as early as a couple thousand miles. I am convinced this is also the source of the turkey gobble.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't have belt measurements, but I will say I think Honda specified the PITA belt wear check procedure specified on pg 10-7 of the service manual for a reason (to catch top of belt wear due to belt slap, perhaps?), but I am not smart enough to fully understand what they were thinking.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 4:15 am

Hotwings the belt slap on the top and bottom of the cover is normal belt slapping when the variator changes the position of the belt .27 millimetres is the in spec (new belt- 27 mil)
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 6:17 am

Thanks guys. I guess i'll have to find something else to worry about Smile
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 am

Worry?! But you live in Canada!

According to a poll it's the third best country to live in - after Australia and Sweden!!!

The UK is 10th.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/may/28/worlds-happiest-countries-oecd-australia
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Canada IS the best country to live in. Beautiful scenery, Low crime. I like the way i can pull the swing into a coffee shop (most places) and leave the helmets on the mirrors, gps left in its mount, key (most times) left in the ignition and not have to worry about things missing upon return. I wouldnt do it in any major cities but all our riding is mainly rural.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 3:52 pm

I thought I was the only one that did that.It must be a canadian thing hey! Smile
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
rubbing belt 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 7:47 pm

hotwings wrote:
Canada IS the best country to live in. Beautiful scenery, Low crime. I like the way i can pull the swing into a coffee shop (most places) and leave the helmets on the mirrors, gps left in its mount, key (most times) left in the ignition and not have to worry about things missing upon return. I wouldnt do it in any major cities but all our riding is mainly rural.
Heck. I do that all the time, city or rural. I even feel comfortable leaving the Doberman tied to the handlebars. Smile
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:52 am

Why is there a bit of paper being held on by a rubber band on the Maisto? models. Is it cammo to stop them being pinched, or worse yet is it so we can't see that someone has already pinched the motors out of them?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm

KurtPerthWA wrote:
Why is there a bit of paper being held on by a rubber band on the Maisto? models. Is it cammo to stop them being pinched, or worse yet is it so we can't see that someone has already pinched the motors out of them?
I got all the harley models from walmart back a few years ago when i had a sportster. I built a new house so before we moved i thought i had better label them all otherwise i wouldnt remember which is which. I had em all on display in a lighted cabinet at the old house but a month or so ago i stumbled across the box with the models and just placed em around my workbench.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 am

yeah all swings have belt rub marks , it seems even in as little as 750 miles , I am guessing the first time it rubbed was when they started it up and drove it off the assembly line ....
Back to top Go down
Dramhunter
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Dramhunter

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2012-08-15

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 9:35 am

Hey, glad to meet more Canucks! Not that I'm one but I love the country and people.

Anyway - Turkey Gobble!! Thats EXACTLY what it sounds like!! I have a 2010 Swing, bought it just in March (for a joint Silver Wedding present for me and my bride) with less than 3000 miles on it. It began turkey gobbling soon after and has done so sporadically, mainly when the weather is dry! I was worried but no warning lights came on and the machine never faltered. Was gonna take the drive covers off to investigate but won't bother now, thanks guys! And I'm squeezing 60+ mpg out of it on my daily 35 mile commute to and from Belfast on mixed fast highway and slow traffic. I'm pleased! The standard screen sucks though, will get a GIVI before I do any long distance rides and those mirror extenders are completely PERFECT!
Back to top Go down
http://northlight.artistwebsites.com/index.html
Sponsored content

rubbing belt Empty
PostSubject: Re: rubbing belt   rubbing belt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rubbing belt
Page 1 of 1