Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sad Day today
by bikehiker Today at 09:24

» Recommended Tires
by lloyd193 Today at 09:03

» Trailer Hitch For SilverWing Scooter
by The Bern Today at 06:10

» Wanted: Oil drain plug
by cliffyk Yesterday at 17:43

» Hard to find a career
by "Hi Yo" Yesterday at 16:58

» A hillbilly goes hunting
by "Hi Yo" Yesterday at 16:51

» Silver Wing Colors
by Mike from NS Yesterday at 07:28

» Oil Leak at Oil Filter?
by oldwingguy Sun 10 Dec 2017, 16:06

» very low mileage engine and trans
by siataukreg Tue 05 Dec 2017, 18:04

» Masks on SW 2001 600cc
by siataukreg Tue 05 Dec 2017, 17:55

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

"Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: "Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.   Fri 03 May 2013, 17:02

Following wisdom found here, I held the rear brake and ramped up the throttle in a process that took ~3 seconds.
The smell of high temperature adhesives and friction materials followed.
The bike during initial acceleration is much smoother now. No negative results, from what I can tell or smell. Maybe removed some time from the life of the clutch, but well worth it. Far less "dash/fender rattle" and more comfortable.
When the time/distance is reached, the bike will get new roller, etc., but until then this is a great little trick.
Thanks, forumsters! Another satisfied customer! band
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: "Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.   Fri 03 May 2013, 21:38

SCTLVR,

I have been doing this for years and it is great when you need to do it. It seems to need it more if there is a lot of stop and go traffic. But in California we can split traffic, as you know, so I really don't need to do it much. Some though will not do this. They will take everything apart for some reason. It's good you posted this for the members who just recently joined.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: "Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.   Sat 04 May 2013, 08:02

I had squealing when I first got the bike and did the "brake while accellerating" to get rid of it. Since then I have developed a heavy hand and simply do wheelies every time the light turns green. Strange cure.

Oh, the new belt has not squealed yet. The old (now spare) looked pretty good and was only a couple mm narrower so the few times I did this did not seem to matter. I would not recommend doing it a lot. Just do wheelies. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2764

PostSubject: Re: "Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.   Sat 04 May 2013, 08:51

Ishkatan wrote:
I had squealing when I first got the bike and did the "brake while accellerating" to get rid of it. Since then I have developed a heavy hand and simply do wheelies every time the light turns green.

It's very interesting on here today, there's one old boy riding his Silver Wing with no hands and flapping his arms pretending he's a bird, we call that 'Orville Syndrome' in the UK. Now you're doing wheelies on yours every time the lights turn green, I really do find that hard to believe. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195

PostSubject: Re: "Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.   Sat 04 May 2013, 09:51

Meldrew wrote:
Now you're doing wheelies on yours every time the lights turn green, I really do find that hard to believe. Neutral

Fantasy and perception have little relationship to reality. I think I do therefore I do... king

Or maybe I am a fisherman and the fish is THIS big.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org

"Power braking" to smooth out initial acceleration.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1