Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Years of riding, 0 on scooters
by EvilTwin Today at 17:31

» Hello All.
by "Hi Yo" Today at 16:33

» 2002 600 Odometer
by Lugwrench Today at 15:42

» Installing new trunk light
by Meldrew Today at 14:06

» Silverwing no longer on US Honda site
by john grinsel Today at 06:34

» Riding---next trip
by john grinsel Yesterday at 20:50

» Brief introduction and question
by dekare Yesterday at 19:14

» Drive belts
by The Bern Yesterday at 07:05

» mounting attachment points
by MikeO Fri 17 Aug 2018, 14:32

» What did you do to your SW today.
by Briorick Fri 17 Aug 2018, 14:28

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Seat strut

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Thu 05 Sep 2013, 16:46

LVScooterBill wrote:
I have a question: Was it the same 13kg /28.6 lb force as Hotwings' one or did you all go with a heavier force one?  Am I just better off getting the same 28lb one as Hotwings?
I went with Hotwings on this one - got 28#. You need to fiddle with the ends (top one for sure) as noted in this thread to get it to fit - but no big deal. I had to remove the plastic section under the seat to get my strut out. Mine came with black paint on the slider rod - I compressed it without taking off this paint (it will come off easily with a plastic scour pad) - bad idea as the paint gets down into the plunger seal and then it does not move in/out as smoothly - but still a monumental improvement over my old strut. I have had two SWings and both had lousy structs. It is such a blessing to have a seat that does not continually close on your hands/head as you are rumaging to get stuff in/out. Spending the $13 (heck even the OEM $25) to get a seat that stays open is well worth it. How long will this strut last? Don't know but I am enjoying it while it does! I wanted to get something that someone else said would work - so went with 28#. I don't have any extra weight on my seat - If I did I would consider the heavier weight - but was concerned that more force may do more harm - and cause the strut to fail sooner - but the foregoing is only my 'uninformed' conception - I have nothing to back it up.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Thu 05 Sep 2013, 16:56

Thanks Dimond. I had been considering the 33 pound unit since I have a nice Pro Pad gel seat cushion that seems to add weight to the seat where even my one year old stock seat strut can't handle it.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Thu 05 Sep 2013, 17:06

LVScooterBill wrote:
Thanks Dimond. I had been considering the 33 pound unit since I have a nice Pro Pad gel seat cushion that seems to add weight to the seat where even my one year old stock seat strut can't handle it.
Honda_Silver has a thread on a great strut from Grainger that handle a massive weight - at not such a great price ($50); but it is tried and proven.

If it was me, I would go with the #33 pound and if that $13 does not last go with the one used/recommended by Honda_Silver.
Back to top Go down

Seat strut
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: