Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scoot hire in US?

Go down 
+3
tinman
tarmacburner2
steveR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 am

I am looking at various options for either 2013 or 2014 to come over to the US again, and this time, take a decent bike ride.... Smile

There are 3 options available to us UK folk, hire a bike, buy a bike or ship over your own. Doing some early and basic costings show that if the trip was for more than 2 weeks, it may well be cost effective to "bring yer own"! I do like the idea of bring my Varadero over, I have to say. It is a known comfy machine, and reliable. Bit of a fuel guzzler, but that goes with aerodynamics like a barn...!!

Buying can make sense as long as the bike is purchased in advance and you have time to sell it on at the end of the trip Wink

This leaves hiring... I have no interest in hiring a Harley... honest, none at all Smile What I would consider though, is hiring a Swing or a Burgervan. I already know how good the swing is and for one up touring, there is enough luggage space with a tote bag on the pillion seat! So does anyone know of a company renting these out for a sensible price please?

Preferred area for a ride is lots of mountain roads, little traffic and some scenery and the like thrown in. A ride from the Canadian border down the Rockies looks like fun.... Her Ladyship is also taking an interest in thsi possible trip, but if she came along, I suspect the Scoot may be a bit lacking for a long tour, at least without doing work to it first.

Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 6:23 am

Steve,
One possible problem with taking your own maybe the Customs delay in getting it released from the docks. Just a thought but at least you would be riding something that you know.

cheers,
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am

Depending on the cost of shipping your Swing here and back home again ,buying a used Swing for $ 3500. with low kl and re sell it for $2500.for a quick sale might work for you. Having someone here could work for you motorcycle to re sell .
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 am

It's not a silver wing nor a Burgman, but you can rent a Piaggio MP3 400 and other scooters here:
http://www.eaglerider.com/scooter-rental.aspx
The MP3 400 is $85 per day. They also have motorcycles, trikes and spyders.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

I called Eagle Rider as I wanted to rent Vespa GTS 300 for a couple of days to see if it was really worth buying for my use.

They had nothing (US south) in the Vespa line-----they are really in the Harley business rental wise....and really not interested in scooter business

Bring your own---maybe easiest on same plane---Lufthansa used to do it. Ride on ride off. Bike on pallet. Your autoclub should be able to furnish liability insurance---pre-arranged.

I once arrived in Korea on Ferry---had a hell of a time exercising the drive/drive off but pulled it off.

Have fun
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am

I have rented BMWs from them in the past- it depends on the location. According to the link the MP3 is available in Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and Orlando only.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:10 am

toolboxjesse wrote:
It's not a silver wing nor a Burgman, but you can rent a Piaggio MP3 400 and other scooters here:
http://www.eaglerider.com/scooter-rental.aspx
The MP3 400 is $85 per day. They also have motorcycles, trikes and spyders.

Jesse

Not enough ooomph in the 400 for my tastes and they are pretty small machines as regards leg room as I found on a short test ride. So not an option. Sad

I would take a BMW GS or similar big adventure bike on hire, but ooooh the COST!! Smile If it is even available.....

Last edited by steveR on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:13 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Steve,
One possible problem with taking your own maybe the Customs delay in getting it released from the docks. Just a thought but at least you would be riding something that you know.

cheers,

From research, it is vital to use a good shipping Agent!! Suggested cost for 2 way flight for a big bike is around 1500-2000 UKP depending on which coast, but no mileage limits or silly rules and restrictions on usage once you are there Smile

Also many (most??) bike hire companies seem to want the bike back at the starting point.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 am

tinman wrote:
Depending on the cost of shipping your Swing here and back home again ,buying a used Swing for $ 3500. with low kl and re sell it for $2500.for a quick sale might work for you. Having someone here could work for you motorcycle to re sell .

That is what I thought, and if I buy in MT, it is a really easy for me to register the bike in my own name, whereas some States are a real PITA to deal with from what I have found out. I have friends in MT too Wink

Taking a hit of $1k would not be too bad for 2-3 weeks worth of biking.

I no longer have a Swing, but my Varadero Pic would be around $3K to airfreight both ways from the UK.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Steve,

Is the Varadero actually sold in the States. I'm thinking getting any parts you may need would be a major headache if they had to be imported.

(The objective is to thoroughly analyze all situations, anticipate all problems prior to their occurrence, have answers for these problems, and move swiftly to solve these problems when called upon. However, when you are up to your arse in alligators, it is difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.)

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Steve,

Eagle rider has bikes that get dropped off in one city and needs to get back to there home base. They offer specials on riding them back. I have heard as little as $50.00 a day. I'm not sure. You would need to research that option. I know they give you a certain amount of time to ride it back. I think you need to be flexible. It may be worth checking out.

Bob and I got a deal a couple of years ago. Rent one day get the second day free. We rented for three and got six. We rented a Goldwing from Eagle Rider. They do have BMW's for rent in Chicago at Countryside BMW. They also, have an Eaglerider dealer with them.

A lot of riders from your side of the pond fly to Chicago and rent a bike and take the historical Rt. 66 all the way to LA. Over 2000 miles. There are plenty of other options.

Hope this helps.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Steve,

Is the Varadero actually sold in the States. I'm thinking getting any parts you may need would be a major headache if they had to be imported.

(The objective is to thoroughly analyze all situations, anticipate all problems prior to their occurrence, have answers for these problems, and move swiftly to solve these problems when called upon. However, when you are up to your arse in alligators, it is difficult to remember that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.)

Cheers,

Nope, no Vara's in the US, but Canada has them I believe. The engine is found in a couple of other bikes though and like most Honda's it uses across the range parts and spares. Smile

On the issue of draining swamps, a phone call to David Silver in London would sort most Honda related problems!
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 3:44 am

CathyN wrote:
Steve,

Eagle rider has bikes that get dropped off in one city and needs to get back to there home base. They offer specials on riding them back.

They do have BMW's for rent in Chicago at Countryside BMW. They also, have an Eaglerider dealer with them.

A lot of riders from your side of the pond fly to Chicago and rent a bike and take the historical Rt. 66 all the way to LA. Over 2000 miles. There are plenty of other options.

Thanks Cathy, I will have a look into Countryside BMW and see what they have available.

I have looked at the Route 66 ride, but after looking at some other options for a big ride, it slipped down my list a bit. Smile However, the whole venture is still a few months away at the very least, and may even be next year before I can get away.

It'll partly depend on when my eldest daughter finishes University, and if she is willing to manage the farm for 3 weeks before going travelling (or starting work) !! I suspect some extensive bribery will come into play here.... :lol!:
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 6:21 am

Employ daughter as farm manager whilst you are away, salary commensurate with farm / managerial experience (in otherwords 'LOW'). Full time job depends on her performance, when you get back then inform her that the standard of the work isn't high enough to offer her a full time position. Plus the fact that a 2.2 in Media Studies isn't much good when you are up to your ankles in pigs**t.
Give her £100 severence pay (good will gesture).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:06 am

That is what I did when my boys grew up ,They said that i was to hard on them and quit. Now the talk about the good old days when they were working for me . Go figure. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 12:21 pm

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Employ daughter as farm manager whilst you are away, salary commensurate with farm / managerial experience (in otherwords 'LOW'). Full time job depends on her performance, when you get back then inform her that the standard of the work isn't high enough to offer her a full time position. Plus the fact that a 2.2 in Media Studies isn't much good when you are up to your ankles in pigs**t.
Give her £100 severence pay (good will gesture).

Cheers,

You are hired as the HR and Employment Officer...!! Smile

I am tempted to send her your excellent suggestions, with your email addy attached..... Razz

She may spit and splutter about the Degree mind!! Know any good jobs in the geology mapping field, location not an issue? Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Just say to her 'So you're a Gravel Monkey'. chickendance

Make sure you are well protected when you do!

Luckily email addresses aren't geographic.

Hopefully she has inherited your sense of humour.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Just say to her 'So you're a Gravel Monkey'. chickendance

Make sure you are well protected when you do!

Luckily email addresses aren't geographic.

Hopefully she has inherited your sense of humour.

Cheers,

My suspicion is that Gravel Monkey is small beer these days... based on looking at her tee shirts!!

She has her Mother's bad points, and my good points, as you would hope Rolling Eyes My better half tells me my sense of humour is weird, but seeing what she watches on telly, I am not sure whe is qualified to judge....
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 am

Steve,

Have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU5b-tc8ZeY

cheers,
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 8:35 am

tarmacburner2 wrote:
Steve,

Have a look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU5b-tc8ZeY

cheers,

I wondered whether to mention BBT here... We love it as a family and Steph is not amused at the sniping from Sheldon about her chosen "science", we all use it to wind her up more Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Sounds as if you are 'Caught between a rock and a hard place'

Geology Science - may qualify your daughter for a job in MacDonald's analysing their burgers!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 pm

If you want something big and comfy, a Victory would be the way to go. The Cross Country and Vision are their touring bikes and though they are V-twins like Hardley Driveables, They are counterbalanced to be very smooth. Being able to rent depends on where you are coming in and when. I was in the Phoenix area and the Scottsdale Victory dealer offered 1/3 off the price ($100 from $150/day) since it was a slack period.

Liked the Cross Country I rented so much I decided to buy a Cross Country Tour for my next bike.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 3:54 pm

DarthJ wrote:
If you want something big and comfy, a Victory would be the way to go.

Being able to rent depends on where you are coming in and when. I was in the Phoenix area and the Scottsdale Victory dealer offered 1/3 off the price ($100 from $150/day) since it was a slack period.

Not really my "cup of tea" but I guess these machines are designed for the roads in the US Smile Out of interest, did you find a mileage allowance on the hire bikes? Some companies are pretty mean on the daily allowance I noticed when checking out bike hire last year!
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:25 pm

It depends on the place, Scottsdale Victory were fine with around 500/day but were very negotiable.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Besides, you'd be surprised how well a Victory handles the twisties. Look up Victory vs Harley on YouTube and you'll see how the cop models handle. Victory Police bikes are standard Cross Country or Visions and are really good at tight handling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=710yjzf6g64 Video shows a Victory Commander police bike in an offset weave. (Commander is a Cross Country modded for cop work, mostly electronics)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scoot hire in US? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scoot hire in US?   Scoot hire in US? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scoot hire in US?
Page 1 of 1