Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cold hands at LOW temps

Go down 
+14
toolboxjesse
smorkle
Microtouch
Meldrew
Old Limey
Dimond
john grinsel
rodenbach
exavid
tinman
tarmacburner2
Nowun
Waspie
clay_in_co
18 posters
AuthorMessage
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-25

Cold hands at LOW temps Empty
PostSubject: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 11:09 am

Having just gotten my SWing for Christmas, I've only been able to get winter riding in. I have an old pair of "River Road" insulated leather riding gloves, but they are really no better than my suede non-riding gloves.

So, I've been searching the forums for advice on what might work best, specifically on the SWing, but every time I see a reference to the temps that people use their gear with, they are talking about 30-40 degrees or so as very cold. Personally, I wear spring/autumn gear in those conditions, could have something to do with being in Colorado, where many people wear shorts when it's above freezing, or maybe that my cold tolerance is much higher after getting my heart fixed.

Anyway, has anyone found a good solution for cold hands in temps down to 0F?

Go America, Go Broncos!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Just Google winter riding gloves. There are many gloves that are suitable for winter riding.

In the UK we are used to the ups and downs of the weather so many riders carry a rugged water proof winter glove and a lighter general glove.

Try the usual suspects, Alpinestars, Weise, etc!!!!

Then there are the heated gloves, Gebring!!

Happy hunting.

PS

OR

Heated grips!!!!! Even better!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Santa brought me a pair of Gerbing Hybrid gloves. I've only gone as far as 0C so far but hands are really warm - they have 4 temp settings and only used the 75%.

Gerbings heating elements are on the out side, exposed side of your hand so everything is kept warm. They plug into the power outlet in the left hand glove box, so no wiring required

http://gerbing.com/Products/Gloves/hybridGlove.php

(0F is a bit chilly! = -18C)
Back to top Go down
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Nowun wrote:
(0F is a bit chilly! = -18C)

A temperature swing of 40 degrees is almost a daily occurrence here on the Colorado front range (literally). We don't have the dampness you have there on the British Isles (just the opposite), so there is no concern here for things being waterproof, just windproof.

I'm thinking more and more that I might have to go with electric heat, gloves or grips. It'll give me an excuse to put a power socket in the glovebox. A m/c dealer in Denver has a NOS pair of HotGrips for about $50; I think I'll have a closer look.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 4:28 pm

An alternative that may kill two birds with one stone is to fit a bigger screen. The Givi Airflow directs wind away from the grips so your hands aren't in a draught. Another one is fit heated grips. I find I don't like wearing thick winter waterproof gloves as they are so much more clumsy than a thinner pair.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 pm

GET YOUR SELF A PAIR OF DOWN FILE LETHER SNOWMOBILE GLOVES, AND OXFORT HETZER GRIPS 2 YR WARRANTY. Sorry for the big letter my cap lock was on. Smile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I recommend Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. Mine have been keeping me warm on winter roads for a couple years now and are GREAT! Last week I was out in the hills around here where the temp was in the high 30s and felt toasty warm. At first with the OEM windshield I had to run the gloves at their highest setting but now with the Givi Airflow windshield I don't need much more than setting the control a bit under halfway.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:40 am

My personal 'comfort limit' is 4°C (= 39°F). I prefer not to ride in lower temps, due to arthritis. And over here winters are (very) wet, so when freezing there is a great risk of black ice and other nasty two-wheel traps.

However, in my younger days, I used to ride with sheepwool muffs and sometimes didn't even bother to wear gloves inside... It is the uggliest but most comfortable cold-weather protection for your hands. Nowadays some manufacturers offer the option of an electrical heater for their muffs.

A cheap option would be to wear silk gloves inside your winter gloves.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:25 am

I think electric might be good----but cost? convenience? I don't have.

Langlitz gloves I have (they last, only 2 pr since 1966 as daily rider) are good down to 45 degrees F for long term, short ride more. For real cold I have again '66 purchased Harley Mitts, currently lined with cheap ski gloves=work.

OEM heated grips might work. SilverWing has poor design for keeping hand out of blast and handlebars are too high.

I do have electric bib----SilverWing has no convenient plug in----again designers not riding or Honda trying to save some money on US market stuff------Only problem with me on plug in stuff=the wires/plugging in, un plugging--think emergency pee break!!

AND Electric, while handy, can fail, big trip you can almost freeze to death or crash, disconnected and you have to lay in woods or on side of road. My Electric vest failed one time--Montery MX--as I had just been to Central America, no real warm stuff along----cold forced me into $150 motel....took first available.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 9:47 am

Good point John about not relying completely on powered items. So the probable way to go is wearing gear that will keep you warm without power but if you want that little bit of extra comfort use heated.

Changing the screen will improve things for when you are moving, won't do a thing when you are stuck at the side of the road though. Smile

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 pm

I went with the Gerbings heated GLOVES and heated JACKET LINER. I got these in early December and have used them several times down into the low 30s. Each of us are way different in what parts get cold and our tolerance for cold. I offer some comments as they pertain to ME.

1. Cold Weather Riding - I now look forward to riding when it is cold. I do wear several (unheated) layers on my legs.
2. Connection - One pigtail plug under the seat connects to the (dual) controller - which in turn powers the jacket liner - and the gloves - independently. Without the controller the jacket would get way too hot - the gloves would get too hot at times. If I forget to unplug myself when stepping off the scooter - no worry - the plug easily pulls apart.
3. Power Usage - So far I don't have any power issues - but I need to get a digital volt meter installed so that I don't tax my system. If I were to draw too much current - I could go to low beams or cut back on my heated gear controller.
4. Ride Duration - For short rides (an hour) I don't really need heated gear but after an hour I start to need it. As the day warms up - and I wear down - I need more heat to feel comfortable. Without heated gear I could not last all day.
5. Temperature Neutral - I have read that it is best to maintain a temperature where you don't feel HOT or WARM - rather you feel like you are not even being heated. If you turn the heat up too high - you start to sweat - and chances are that your gear (mine is) has some rain liners - and does not breath - never a good thing.
6. Non-Heated Components - I am hoping to eventually make (DIY) my own heated pants as feel these will be necessary for long rides in the 20s (don't really do these now - partly due to fear of ice).
7. Heated Grips - I don't have them - but friends that do say that it does not (for them) replace heated gloves as the grips do not heat the back (exposed) parts of your hand - and your thumb gets cold. They help - but may not be the cure-all for long rides when the weather is very cold.
8. Ride Conditions - If it is sunny it seems to add 5f to my ride conditions (35f feels like 40f). If I go faster (75mph) this seems to add 10f to my ride conditions as compared to 45mph. Anything you can do to stop the wind for getting to your core (e.g., rain pants, neck muffler, etc) can help immensely.
9. Core Temperature - When you core drops in temperature your brain starts to close your capillaries - which adversely impacts the blood flow in you fingers/toes - not a good thing. My jacket liner keeps my core temperature up - which in turn fools my brain into maintaining blood flow to fingers/toes - which makes me feel better in the hand/foot area. Heated gloves (or grips) don't do much for heating your core - hard to heat you entire body through your finders - which is why it is a good idea to use heated gloves WITH heated core device (assuming that you are going in conditions or duration where your core temperature is dropping).
10. Manipulation - My gloves are bulky and the dexterity is poor - but adequate. I seem to have far better dexterity as compared to using winter gloves and having very cold fingers/hands. If I was riding a sport bike then the Gerbing gloves would likely by unacceptable - but since I conservatively ride a SWing - they seem to be just fine.
11. Temperatures - Most of the folks I know that use Gerbing heated gear do not ride in very cold temperatures (below 25f) for long periods - and they are satisfied with it. However, I have read on other forums that Gerbing gear may not be as protective as other heated gear at the extremes - so check the forums if you are one of those riders (I am certainly not). I have my doubts that my Gerbing heated gloves would be protective at 0f all day - unless I used something to keep the wind off them - or the heat in.

In summary, if you ever feel cold in your chest area, are chattering due to the cold, or are extremely uncomfortable due to the cold (and your normal ensemble of gear does not work) - then it is time to CONSIDER heated CORE gear. If you can not manipulate your handlebar controls properly/easily due to cold, then it is time to CONSIDER heated GLOVES. If you are stopping for a ride break to 'warm up' or finding that when you do stop you are 'cold' - then it is time to adjust your gear. Suggest you CONSIDER heated gear as one of your options - but be prepared as it is expensive. CONSIDER going for the jacket/glove combo. A 2 component controller is not much more than a 1 - so if you go for the gloves only - get the 2 as you may wish to add a jacket later. If you don't like winter riding - or don't do less of it - because of the cold - then heated gear is surely going to adjust your perception - and greatly extend your riding season.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 pm

I use Keis heated vest, insoles, and inner gloves( they also do outer heated gloves). The vest is so good at stopping the wind i wear it all year, without the heat on mostly, the mains lead fits perfectly on the Silverwing battery and i run the cable under the seat and out the side. I can't say if they will cope with your temp's but i never had it on more than medium( it has low, medium and high. Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:05 pm

I ware Long under ware, my pants and wind pants over all to cut the cold wind.On top the same as bottom,with flannel shirt a heavy pull over hoody that doubles for my head and neck,a second zip up sweater and my leather jacket ,down fill snow mits,and Oxford Heatzer grips. Good for short 1 hr trips and warm up at coffee shop. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Dimond wrote:
In summary, if you ever feel cold in your chest area, are chattering due to the cold, or are extremely uncomfortable due to the cold (and your normal ensemble of gear does not work) - then it is time to CONSIDER heated CORE gear. If you can not manipulate your handlebar controls properly/easily due to cold, then it is time to CONSIDER heated GLOVES.

You may also CONSIDER that you could be suffering the early stages of hyperthermia, and you need to stop riding as soon as you safely can and get somewhere to slowly warm up your body core, not make up a mental shopping list for heated gear.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I use and old mantra from my flying days.

'Dress to survive.'

Layers are the key, silk inners are ideal for gloves.
Back to top Go down
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Hey Waspie, excuse my ignorance but what is the significance behind the silk liners?
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

I don't know what the silk liners really do but I used to buy US surplus leather gloves with their removeable knitted liners and then wear a black silk GI surplus liner under that. One good thing they did for me when flying in Northern Alaska in an almost unheated airplane was you could pull your glove off easily leaving the knitted liner inside. Then the silk glove was thin enough that one could work radio controls or whatever without sticking to them at -20F. The thin silk glove would protect your hands long enough to do something that took fine motor control and then you could stuff them back into the heavier glove. Flying most light airplanes in real cold weather (-20F--40F range) in the 60s usually meant you had a Scat tube plugged into the cabin heat outlet and run up to the windshield to keep that from icing on the inside from your breath. That didn't leave much heat for the pilot or passenger.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Silk is thin and very warm. I have silk Long Johns and they are great.

Also have silk sleeping bag liners to take my bags up another season.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
smorkle
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
smorkle

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:48 am

Microtouch wrote:

Hey Waspie, excuse my ignorance but what is the significance behind the silk liners?

The silk, especially if you can acquire multi layered silk gloves or wear two pair, are perfect at trapping air and keeping the extremities warm. In a previous life I used them under a pair of thin cape leather gloves and they would keep me warm down to minus 15-20 deg. C. So there properties of keeping one warm and toasty are proven in my humble opinion.

I have one pair from my old flying days remaining which are starting to wear on the thumb. I will be devastated when they finally give up the ghost. Already have my feelers out to obtain another pair, (without paying!!!!).
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm

I own a full Tourmaster Synergy heated setup, including gloves, jacket liner, chaps and shoe insoles. I was considering heated grips, but I once rented a BMW with heated grips and realized they did little for the outside of my hands when wearing winter riding gloves. I first bought the Synergy gloves in the beginning of last winter, then added the chaps, then the insoles as I found them on sale/with gift cards. They all worked really well even at around 20degF (it doesn't get much colder than that in Atlanta.) I bought the jacket as the final piece a few weeks ago which is nice because it interconnects with the gloves and the lower pieces without additional long cables. The jacket includes a dual-rheostat controller that controls the jacket with one dial and the rest with the second dial, and the controller straps to my left leg with an elastic strap (or it's possible to find a way to mount it to the bike temporarily or semi-permanently). The whole setup cost me about $450 over time and I think it was worth it (considering it would cost me $20 per day to commute by car and about $6 on my Silver wing). The Tourmaster synergy products have a 3 year warranty and are machine washable. If I had to do it all over again I would probably have gone with Gerbings though. The Gerbings seem like quality components and made in the USA, and also a rechargable battery option (I ride my Vectrix electric scooter to work 2 days per week and currently use chemical heating packets inside ski gloves since I can't connect to the scooter battery on the Vectrix).

Oh also I use the Tall/wide GIVI windscreen in the winter which does deflect some of the cold air.\

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
acworthpatrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2011-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 pm

I have the entire sedeci hotwired collection from cyclegear.com

Gloves, heated jacket & pant liners. Makes 20 degree mornings like a summer day! Smile
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 8:16 am

Before I got hot grips ,when I finish mi ride,I would put my hands on my wife's neck to warm them up .She did not like that but It felt good. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Cold hands at LOW temps 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 2:19 pm

tinman wrote:
Before I got hot grips ,when I finish mi ride,I would put my hands on my wife's neck to warm them up .She did not like that but It felt good. :lol!:
That would probably put an end to any "riding". Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:00 pm

I switch from my leather jacket to my Astars winter jacket when it gets cold. The liner's pretty good to about 40F but below that, I pull the liner out and layer my Army fleece liner underneath. On the bottom, silk liner under my jeans and Gore-Tex pants over them. With the covers on my crash bars, I stay pretty comfortable.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 pm

I have a pair of xl gerbings in good clean condition for 50 bucks if anyone is interested
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold hands at LOW temps   Cold hands at LOW temps I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold hands at LOW temps
Page 1 of 1