Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 2:07 pm

» Final Drive Noise banished
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 12:14 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 12:40 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 am

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Fork Gaiters

Go down 
+7
clay_in_co
rodenbach
john grinsel
GHM-PM
drewsieboy
Waspie
Mrpw666
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-11-22

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi Boys and Girls.

I am getting a bit bothered about the amount of salt on the UK roads and the possible damage to the chrome part of the forks because of it and the potential of oil leaks. Bought these fork gaiters (link below) after measuring the forks and spent about an hour fitting them securing the top and bottom with cable ties, just the ticket! They work just fine and, in my view compliment the look. Just thought i'd pass on the message. Best regards everyone. Oh I forgot to say that after owning my Swing now for about 3 weeks - I love it!!!
(If the link doesn't work, copy the 12 digit number and paste it in ebay search)

Mark

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221153863275?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 pm

I don't think you will find the chromed section is the problem area. Due to the process it is impervious to corrosion. In the RN we had undercarriage and rotor shaft that were what you call chrome we called fescalised or something similar. The coating is so dense it will not allow anything to penetrate it. I once dipped a chromed section in Nitric Acid and nothing was affected.

If you treat your exposed metal on your Wing with ACF50 or FS365 both rust preventers you wont go far wrong.

From experience the metal under the rubber seal on the front forks ARE prone to corrosion. The rubber splits exposing the corroded metal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Doug.

Ah yes, the Senior Service! I'm just about to retire after 37 years in the RAF and 25 or so years on SAR (both Wessex and Sea King). I just remember my old biking days and the fescalised bit always used to get a bit rusty in places, well more like rust pin holes and eventually cause the seals to fail (foreign grade chrome vs Aircraft grade). I know what you mean about the other type of corrosion under the seals, I've seen that before. I know times have changed and quality has improved over the years, anyway, they will be much easier to remove if I change my mind - snip the cable ties and carefully remove with a sharp blade! Haha!!

All the best

Mark
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:52 pm

Hi, Mark, last time I mentioned fescalising to someone they just looked blankly!!!! Apologies. Embarassed

Like you I spent some time in SAR. Eight years at 819, HMS Gannet, Ayrshire. SAR Aircrewman. Been left 20 years now but the smell of burnt aviation gasoline from the exhaust of the Wessex and mighty King still wafts by. Smile

The FS365 stuff is great stuff. Better than Dubs 40!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
drewsieboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am

Sorry i cant add to this nostalgia as i have never been an air crewman, mind you if you keep yer bike clean and gie it a regular check ye should have nae trouble. Did youse fleet air arm heroes no check yer choppers afore ye took off?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 1:02 pm

drewsieboy wrote:
Sorry i cant add to this nostalgia as i have never been an air crewman, mind you if you keep yer bike clean and gie it a regular check ye should have nae trouble. Did youse fleet air arm heroes no check yer choppers afore ye took off?

Haha, I love it! santa
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Fork covers---in US---Dennis Kirk about $20, wrap around=not pulling fork legs off. Work great, have been using them for years. Squirt of WD40 around top part of seals after washing. I ride/have ridden in Salt/Mud/dirt.....no seal trouble in years
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 19, 2012 9:22 am

Fork gaitors are a great way to protect the seals. Although fork legs may be hard and resistant enough to withstand stone chips, salt and dead insects, all this junk will keep sticking to the legs for a certain amount and this will work like sandpaper on the fork seals while riding.

Gaiters may not look as sexy as naked legs, they assure longevity of the fork seals.

Fork Gaiters Vp9hu1
Back to top Go down
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi All

Curious about the ACF50 so I bought a can to check it out, arrived today and will give some of the Swing a good coating. One slight problem - done my back in, so can't do much at the mo Crying or Very sad . Need to sort myself out before the grand kids turn up for Christmas!

Take it easy

Mark
Back to top Go down
clay_in_co
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
clay_in_co

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-11-25

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 2:18 am

Many years ago, I had a pair of simple gaiters that were basically hemmed vinyl rectangles with a couple of snaps. They simply wrapped around the forks and rested on top of the dust seals. They seemed to do a good job but, alas, I haven't seen their like in a long time. Although, they would be very easy to make...
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 2:29 am

I am a firm believer of gaiters too. Unfortunately we only have crocks in OZ. I like the squish squish noise they make.

I have used old inner tubes( freebies) on dirt bikes , cheap and nasty but 100% effective against mud and stones.

Truck inner tubes (freebies) can be cut for superb mud flaps that dont catch on anything but resilient enough to ward of water. Great on the front of high mudguards too.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 2:46 am

Salted roads...??????

That alone would make me ride carefully in the UK. If you came off you already would have salt rubbed in your wounds, without the ribbing.

I wonder what salted bitumen would taste like? I suppose a well seasoned limey would know. I find the ordinary stuff rather, well, ordinary.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 2:53 am

I just realised after reading the last post a couple of times that I am starting to sound like Meldrew.

I do apologise.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 11:04 am

Having salt rubbed in the wound isn't the problem, it's the bloody gravel mixed with it that causes the most pain!! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2012 11:14 pm

Have to say that after 3 scoots, I have never fallen off or dropped, I am rash free! But in my younger days have had some spectacular crashes on a CB175, boniville and aCB750! I intend to keep the swing rash free! Take it easy. Mark
Back to top Go down
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 am

Hi all

Well after only 6 months of fitting the gaiters they have split, very disapointed with the quality. So back to the naked look for me with ACF50. Now there's a thought I can't get out of my mind!!

Happy Days everyone

Mark
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Cut them off and replace them with a pair of black plastic fork protectors like I have on my Silver Wing, they take only a few minutes to fit and are secured with a single cable/zip tie on each lower fork leg.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Meldrew wrote:
a pair of black plastic fork protectors...take only a few minutes to fit and are secured with a single cable/zip tie.

Meldrew does it again - says something useful, I mean. cheers 

On your mention of these, I found them on Ebay. My two Burgmen had them fitted as standard, and not wanting the pitting I've experienced on on previous bikes, I was concerned that the Swing had no such protection.

Another niggle sorted. Ta very much.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fork Gaiters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fork Gaiters   Fork Gaiters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fork Gaiters
Page 1 of 1