Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

gps or phone mount

Go down 
+2
exavid
Jinglebob
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Greetings, all. Would be interested to see how those of you with GPS or cell phone mounts installed the mounts on the SWing...thinking about doing that with my smartphone/GPS...Thank you!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm

I made an aluminum bracket that is mounted inbetween the handlebars on the two bolts that hold the center of the handlebar cover on. I got longer bolts and a couple of spacers from a hardware store and cut the spacers long enough for the plate to clear the center of the handlebar cover. You could use a stack of washers for spacers as well since they don't show. I have my old Magellan GPS mounted on the plate. For power I soldered a couple of short leads on the 12V GPS charging plug, wrapped the plug with electrical tape and tie wrapped it to the bike's frame under the right rear cover. Then the two leads were run to the battery. I ran the longer cord with the plug for the GPS under the plastic, up through the handlebar cover and left about two inches come out of the cover. It's not noticeable when the GPS is off the bike. I did much the same with the wiring for my Gerbings heated jacket liner and gloves. Made a bracket that I mounted to the rear brake master cylinder's mounting bolts, got longer bolts and some washers to space the bracket away from the master clamp to allow room for my Gerbings double controller to clip on. I shortened the wire on the controller so it would plug neatly into the wire coming out of the handlebar cover on the left side. The lead for the Gerbings controller isn't very noticeable either so the handlebars don't look messy.
I fabricated a mount attached to the front brake master cylinder clamp for a small Midland CB and was planning on running the Push to Talk wire under the handlebar cover to trhe left side and velcro it to the top of the rear brake master just inboard from the grip. Easy to hit with a forefinger even with gloves on. I haven't permanently installed the CB stuff yet since I haven't fabricated an antenna mount which will be installed on the tail piece, rear rack or whatever it's called. It will extend outboard enough to clear the Coocase top box so the antenna won't touch the box and won't interfer with it's removal or replacement. I probably won't finalize and install all the CB stuff until this spring when it's more likely I'll be riding on day trips with friends on their Goldwings. I miss being able to talk to the other guys on their bikes. Today's project was to install the Kisan Pathfinder headlight modulator. This will be the fourth bike I've owned that I've put one on including my previous SW. I think they are an excellent safety feature.
I don't need to install anything for my cell phone for phone use, my hearing aids have bluetooth so I can just keep the cell in my pocket or in the Coocase where the charging outlet is located. I may eventually remake my GPS mount for the cell phone as the Magellan is becoming a bit dated and no updated maps are available for it. One way or another I'm going to make this SW a mini-GW for trips. I'm still considering installing an electronic cruise control on it.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 7:06 am

DennisB, makes a mount that is very nice: https://www.silverwing600.com/t2839-gps-mount-for-honda-silverwing-and-reflex

Dennis also makes several other "Designed for the SilverWing" items: Dennis' Shop https://www.silverwing600.com/f23-dennisb-shop
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 pm

I have 2 RAM-mounts connected- 1 on each handlebar at the brake reservoir and they work really well- sturdy and lockable if you get the right components. I use my satellite radio receiver on the left side and either my phone or a portable navigation of the right side in an Aquabox.

jesse
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Another Option from Motorcycle Larry: http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=8
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:02 pm

I have a MotorcycleLarry one for my ipod - on the LHS.
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I like Dennis' arrangement, and also the MLarry arrangement.

MLarry users...do you find that the weight of the item you're mounting causes the cover to warp or distort over time, or does it stay pretty solid?
Back to top Go down
tracab
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
tracab

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2012-08-29

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 am

Here is my arrangement. DennisB supplied the center bracket and I bought the ball, short extension and a Ram X-Grip. I also hardwired a Micro/Macro USB inside the cowl and ran the wire up through the dash just under the status lights.

gps or phone mount 2013-010
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

gps or phone mount Empty
PostSubject: Re: gps or phone mount   gps or phone mount I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

gps or phone mount
Page 1 of 1