Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Final Drive Noise banished
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Rear shock longevity
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today

Go down 
+6
model28a
Atrick
tarmacburner2
"Hi Yo"
paul.delo451
exavid
10 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today Empty
PostSubject: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 am

The new windshield arrived today so I got to work and installed it. Took about an hour but half of that time was trying to puzzle out the Italian instructions and the murky pictures. A test ride in 45F weather proved the windshield was a winner. I tested it up to 80mph, in all ways it's better than the OEM. No helmet buffeting, much quieter, keeps the main air blast off the grips and very solid and steady at 80mph. I adjusted the windshield just so I can see over the top to the ground about 60' ahead. Higher didn't make much difference. I didn't test the lowest position but it will probably be nice in warm weather. All in all I think this is a great improvement over the OEM. Worth the money to me.
The Crampbuster arrived today too. I put it on the grip and what a relief. I've had them on the last three bikes I've owned and they sure are a relief when you have a bit of arthritis in your throttle hand. Also got the Dyna Beads today and will put them in tomorrow and see if they are worth the cost. Not too much more to do to the scooter it's getting pretty close to what I want.

Last edited by exavid on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 am

I've just installed the screen too and its 100% better than the original. One of the biggest differences is my hands don't get so cold. I have noticed at motorway speeds that the air comes behind me and pushes me forward a bit this is a minor gripe compared to all the advantages.

What is a cramp buster?
Back to top Go down
http://www.coventryselfstorage.co.uk
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 am

[quote="paul.delo451"
What is a cramp buster?[/quote] Midol
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:35 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
[quote="paul.delo451"
What is a cramp buster?
Midol[/quote] Sorry Paul, I know you had a serious question, but it is early here. The crampbuster is a throttle aid (not a cruse control) either sworn at or by. You can learn about it at WWW.crampbuster.com
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 6:29 am

Paul, I use one and I swear by it. I use it either on the outer edge of the throttle so that my palm just rests on it or on the inner edge positioned so that my thumb operates the throttle, I find that I can get much more sensitive control that way. Obviously this is a personal thing and I'm not saying that everyone will find this to be the case.
Available on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Cruise-Control-Cramp-Buster-CrampBuster-/130642404683?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item1e6ae4e54b

Get two as they can get nicked - ask me how I know!

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks for the heads up on cramp buster. I'll get one of those.

My only work so far is fitting the screen and using velcro to stick the garage door opener to the inside of the lockable glove box.

I already use this scooter so much more than my previous bike and this is during the colder weather so I just know its going to get its use.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 am

Tip - if you leave the glove box unlocked when you know your next stop will be the garage allows you to open the garage doors whilst the engine is running. In fact you maybe able to hit the opener whilst riding up the drive - straight in no messing!
You probably have already thought of this. Smile

Cheers
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 am

Yep, thought of that and when I'm approaching and pressing the button, the door starts rising and I start singing 'dinner dinner dinner dinner, Batman' Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am

I bought a garage door opener button thingie that hangs on my keychain. So it hangs right in front and I can press it in the driveway for a batcave type entrance.

Sorry to get all technical with a term like "thingie."
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 pm

I've had my Givi Airflow for just over a month and originally put the adjustable part to the highest point but suffered a bit of noisy uncomfortable buffeting (nowhere near as much as the stock screen though). A week ago I lowered it halfway down and what a difference - almost all gone! It must be something to do with the airflow between the the two parts so over the next few days I going to move the adjustable part up & down a bit to see if there's an optimum setting.

Of course, this may well be old hat to those who've had one for a while!!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 1:42 pm

My bike key chain is getting kind of crowded what with the fob for the Coocase and the garage door opener. I used to have the door opener on the underside of the unlocked box, I'll probably do that again. I have another that'll be inside the top box and locked up so if someone steals the one in unsecured box I'll still have one. I've really pleased so far with the Givi screen and will go test it out at half mast as Atrik mentioned. Today's chore is to put the Dyna Beads in the tires.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 pm

I use this. Flash2Pass

http://tinyurl.com/bhxb7jc
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 7:42 pm

I was out on the SW this afternoon after installing the Dyna Beads in the tires to see how well those balanced the tires. No more vibrations at 80, in fact I ran the bike up to an indicated 105mph on the speedo and it was smooth as silk. The Givi really was nice at high speed, no flutter or vibration and no more tendency to lift my helmet off my head. The wind noise was much lower than with the OEM. As far as I'm concerned this new screen is a winner. In today's 40F weather I liked the full up position best. I tried half way down but it wasn't quite as good keeping the cold off. I suspect the half mast position will be what I like best once the warm weather returns. So far, Givi screen, Coocase, Crampbuster and Dyna Beads, wiring for my Gerbings, this scooter is getting pretty close to what I want. Just a few more things and it'll be a good replacement for my GL1800.

Last edited by exavid on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 am

exavid wrote:
I was out on the SW this afternoon after installing the Dyna Beads in the tires to see how well those balanced the tires. No more vibrations at 80, in fact I ran the bike up to an indicated 105mph on the speedo and it was smooth as silk.

Did your SWing have an imbalance at 80mph before you put in the DynaBeads and if so, were your wheels balanced? My 2008 SWing seems very smooth at 80mph(actual) - don't generally go faster than that. I have given up on mounting/balancing my own tires and instead have the shop do it (for $20 a wheel).

Are others having 'vibrations' at 80 mph with 'traditionally' balanced wheels?

Last edited by Dimond on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:07 pm

What are "DynaBeads"? I know they have something to do with tire balance.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:49 pm

IIRC there are a couple of threads on here regards Dyna Beads.

Some Pro's and Cons so worth a read to see if they are what you need!

Found these.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1502-disappointed-in-dyna-beads?highlight=Dyna+Beads

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4828-dyna-beads?highlight=Dyna+Beads
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 1:33 pm

Why is this post in such small print? The other posts are normal.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I think it's the long URL on model28A's post that stretched out the screen a bit, why it didn't fold I don't know.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Dimond wrote:
exavid wrote:
I was out on the SW this afternoon after installing the Dyna Beads in the tires to see how well those balanced the tires. No more vibrations at 80, in fact I ran the bike up to an indicated 105mph on the speedo and it was smooth as silk.

Did your SWing have an imbalance at 80mph before you put in the DynaBeads and if so, were your wheels balanced?
Are others having 'vibrations' at 80 mph with 'traditionally' balanced wheels?
I bought the Dyna Beads because of the out of balance vibrations of one or both tires. I decided to try the Dyna Beads because I didn't want to go to the bother of removing the rear wheel to balance it. Got spoiled with my GL1800 and it's one sided swing arm.
The vibrations are gone now but most likely would have been cured by rebalancing the wheel with weights as well. The main thing was it's a lot easier to put the Dyna Beads in the tire than pull the rear wheel off to balance it. The front wheel can be done on the bike but the rear wheel has to come off to be balanced.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 am

Still adding stuff. I got a used Midland handheld CB from my brother who had it on his previous BMW 1100. He moved up to a newer model Beemer that had a cb so I bummed his old one. I've got it mounted on the right handlebar on an aluminum bracket I fabricated today. I need to go get an antenna for it. I'm planning to mount the antenna an alongside the top box on a piece of aluminum. The cables for the PTT, power and antenna will run down inside the handlebar cover and then under the plastic to keep the installation clean. I've wired the GPS the same way. The PTT switch will be on my left handlebar just on top and ahead of the headlight dimmer switch. I wouldn't bother with the CB except I ride with some fellows who have them on their Goldwings so it would be nice to get back in communications with them now that my GW's sold. The little SW is getting pretty well fitted out as a mini tourer now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today   Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installed a Givi Airflow Adjustable today
Page 1 of 1