Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Balancing the rear tire

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Balancing the rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Balancing the rear tire   Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 7:40 am

I recently purchased an 05 Silverwing with 16k miles.

I bought it with intentions of doing the 16k service work myself. I would like to thank all the contributors on this site for the great job that they did in creating the step by step instructions for nearly any maintenance task. With the help of those instructions, I was able to change all the fluids and replace the belt and sliders.

The tire change was more problematic. The rear tire carcass was very stiff and difficult to remove and remount but I finally got it done.

I purchased a wheel balancer from Harbor Freight. When I got it home, I discovered that the axle was bent. I returned it for exchange but HF only had one other balancer in the store. When we checked the axle on it, we discovered that it was also bent.

I ordered a balancer from Amazon. It arrived a few days later. I was disappointed to find that it wouldn't work for the rear tire. The wheel hub diameter was too large and the hub width was too narrow. The taper of the balancer centering cones were too long and they met in the middle before tightening up on the rim. The balancer did work fine for the front rim.

Then it occurred to me that i could possibly use my lawnmower blade balancer, pictured below, on the rear.

Balancing the rear tire Bladebalancer

When you place the tire/rim on the balancer spindle, it will settle with the heavy side of the tire lower and the lighter side of the tire higher. I put a 6" bubble level on the brake rotor. I placed various weights on the high side of the rim until the rim was level. Once I determined the correct weights, I attached them to the rim.

I installed the wheel and took it for a ride. No tire balance issues. Life is good.

I am not sure that this type of balancer is as accurate as the axle and cone type but it is much better than not balancing the rear wheel at all.

Maybe this tip will help someone else who has run into this same problem.

By the way, this is the fourth scooter that we have owned and by far the best. I like the ride, handling, brakes and acceleration.

Ride safe!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Balancing the rear tire   Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 6:16 pm

tip here on rear wheel balance-----many shops cannot or will not balance 13" or less scooter tires.

I have static balancer, Hein Gericke from 30 years ago, works but takes time and patience, BEST I find a product called "Ride On"----good bike shops have it.

Goes in Valve stem with core taken out----little messy, easiest with wheel off bike---I made some clamps so little hose doesn't come off.

Not cheap @$15 a bottle----but worth it, as tire ages, it adjusts itself. Well balanced tires/ wheels, seem to let tire last a little longer. Also it does seal minor leaks, small tack holes, etc.

On removing rear tire from rim----I find at 73, longer tire irons, sun or heat lamp to warm tire up, lube the bead well. Bridgestone Hoops seem to have very stiff sidewall.

Glad to see somebody doing own tire work!!! As high mileage rider since 1955---have been thru 250-400 tires. Great thing about doing it yourself---you then know rear wheel is installed right and works. In today's bike shops you might have some Jet Ski Mech screwing it up-----notice also at most bike shops the shop people all drive pick ups so have little interest in bikes/scooters.
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Balancing the rear tire   Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 11:16 pm

just throw a bag of Dyna Beads in it.
I did it to mine and went to Alaska.
No problems
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balancing the rear tire   Balancing the rear tire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balancing the rear tire
Page 1 of 1