Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Left hand valve stem possible?

Go down 
+6
Cosmic_Jumper
bikerboy
Old Sloppy
model28a
ucwinters
GHM-PM
10 posters
AuthorMessage
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Left hand valve stem possible? Empty
PostSubject: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 1:55 pm

The rear valve stem is a PITA to use as most of us know... The disc gets in the way of the process. I have seen options on here but how about a left hand valve stem? No disc on the other side so it should make checking loads easier. Is this possible, has anyone tried it?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Try the Ariete valve stem. Can position to the left or right side of the rim.
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 4:13 pm

This is where I bought mine for the ST1300 motorcycle. Sold in pairs.
http://kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=142
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 4:27 pm

This is where I bought mine(Ariete valve stem) for $18.50. shipping included. The seller gave a discount for BurgmanUSA members.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-Ariete-Bridgeport-90-83-degree-angled-valve-stem-SET-NEW-IMPORTED-ITALIAN-/270897842056?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f12c50788&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks look like it IS possible! I will wait and order when I get new tires and change them at same time. Makes more sense even if I have to fight it until then!!!
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Gee, I thought valve stems just rotate around in a circle.
So you reposistion it when you change your tire.
spray some silicone lubricant or something.

Harry
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 5:30 pm

There is a small 'lug' cast into the rim to hold the bracket for the long rubber valve stem. I knocked this off to make space for the Ariete valve to point nicely to the right. I think that pointing the valve to the left will make access just as difficult as you will have to get to it beneath the transmission housing.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 6:14 pm

bikerboy wrote:
I think that pointing the valve to the left will make access just as difficult as you will have to get to it beneath the transmission housing.
+ 1 when I put the Ariete valve stem on my rear rim I thought the same thing. I left the lug and just rotated the stem a little. It made it easier for me to fill than the OEM stem.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I found the Ariete valve stem to be a genuine PITA to get an air chuck on. When I had the opportunity I returned to the OEM valve stem. Now when I need to check/add air I pop the little black valve stem support off the lug and bend the valve stem down slightly. Then put the support back in place when I put the valve cap back on.

Works for me
Back to top Go down
ucwinters
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 9:38 pm

I saw Roger's link to Ebay for a cheaper price than I'd paid at Kurvygirl.com and went shopping on Ebay and found this even cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-Ariete-Bridgeport-90-83-degree-angled-valve-stem-SET-NEW-IMPORTED-ITALIAN-/270897842467?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f12c50923&vxp=mtr
Just ordered a set of the blue color.
I like the Ariete because it will last for several tire changes IF properly installed.
YMMV.

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2012 11:16 pm

ucwinters, yes that is the same seller. He runs specials often, the silver ones always sell first. Hear is the last post he made an offer for a discount.
"Re: Ariete angled stems
by drahonmotorcycle ยป Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Limited time summer clearance on silver sets. $18.50 to your door on eBay. Mention the secret code word: KNEEDRAG and get 5% off!*
*5% off comes via refund through PayPal after you've paid the full amount per set."

Hear is a link to the thread wear he made the offer for a discount for BurgmanUSA members. If you care to read it.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56504
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 5:51 am

bikerboy wrote:
I think that pointing the valve to the left will make access just as difficult as you will have to get to it beneath the transmission housing.

That is the dilemma I have with the discussion of right hand verses left hand orientation.

Either way there is something to impede accessibility! Surprised
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 7:30 am

I've got one of these - I have a standard valve in my rear tyre:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schraeder-type-90-deg-right-angle-valve-extension-prod14915/

I screw it on when I want to pump up the tyre.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 am

By kneeling down and studying mine it appears that there is quite a bit more room (on mine anyway) on the left side. The tranny does not interfere as much as the brake disc on the other side...
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:10 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
I found the Ariete valve stem to be a genuine PITA to get an air chuck on. When I had the opportunity I returned to the OEM valve stem.

On the rear wheel I cut the stem support down for better access to the end of the Ariete valve. If you do not want to cut the stem support, then you could face the Ariete to the left side (opposite the stem support) to avoid interference.

I use a tire gauge with a clip on valve ( http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-44-ez-air-gauge.aspx ) and do not have any problem with the Ariete valve stems (both front and back).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 10:30 am

The OEM valve on 650 Burgman is metal, secured by nut, appears to be short enough to not rub on anything. 90 degree.

Worth looking into----on my own, I don't mind crawling around on the ground checking and adding air.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Left hand valve stem possible?   Left hand valve stem possible? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Left hand valve stem possible?
Page 1 of 1