Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Trike conversion

Go down 
+3
Harleywld1
alan309
tinman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm

Having two knee replacement,and short inseam,I fine riding two up a bit unsettling at slow speed. I think having a trike installed would solve the problem . I ride 75% of the time solo,and love the twisties. I herd good and bad on the TowPac,and I find it ti wide 63". The Danson is about 55" wide But it take a few hour to remove. The Voyager trike I have no info on how it handles,but it takes 5 to 10 minutes to remove . I think it is 55" wide more info please. Now the Yelvington is a true trike,and is a great looking trike but because it is new on the market I don't know how well it will last down the road.the reverse gear is a good option. Yelvington is the only one that has not email back.I would like some feed back on the Voyager and Yelvington. Thanks. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
alan309
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-29

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 6:53 pm

I started with a TowPac - did not like it - (maybe it was just me) - tippy, hard to align.
I now have a Trinity, the last one before Yelvington took over. I installed it myself and it rides great! When I finally finished installing it (long story) I had to call Yelvington for information and some parts that didn't make it with the kit and had no problem getting help.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm

I ride about 25 to 30 K kl a year ,and I plan to have my Swing a long time. I do my own repairs and I would like to know if the diff would stan the test of time. How many miles do you have on your Yelvington? motorcycle
Back to top Go down
alan309
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-05-29

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry I can't come back with a long term report. It's been so hot here in Texas I only have about 3-4 hundred miles so far.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks for the info. There might be someone out there that has more miles on there trike that can answer that question for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Harleywld1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Harleywld1

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 12:27 pm

my trinity ( yelvington) trike was a long time coming, many parts did not fit, luckily my husband is a machinist and we made it all fit......been on some long rides, all ok, but the spocket and chain wore out after 200 miles. Sad other than all of that I love it
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm

your sprocket should have not worn out that fast. Mine lasted about 10K miles which is still pretty soon in my opion. I asked for hardened steel sprockets for replacement and replaced both sprockets. Chain is another story. I have replaced the chain about 6 times in 13K miles. Can get replacement for about $.50/ft up to $200.00/chain. Cheap stretch quickly... more expensive won't stretch but will stress the wear of your sprockets. Chain is not a big deal to replace at all. Sprocket IS BIG deal. Everything else for me is just fine. Wife and I ride very often.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2012 5:38 pm

Gary, good to hear from you again. You've been quiet for a long time. How have you been?
I hope everything has good for you. Knowing what you know now would you still bye a Yelvington trike? I am still saving up to hopefully bye one for myself.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 am

It is good to know of the problem with the chain and sprockets problems.For now I will wait on buying the Yelvington trike . Trigg trike kits has good reviews,along with the Voyager kits ,and the cost is much less,and they can be removed in a few minutes.Has anyone have a Trigg kit on there Swing?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 6:38 pm

For Tinman----unless trike maker has German TUV approval as min., I'd stay away from them---they (the trike ) equal too much fixing time in my book....and not too safe. Think tip over.....my only power trike experience, Honda 3 Wheel ATV in Japan---almost killed myself and weren't they removed from market later?

At 30,000 KM per year----look at Texas Sidecar, probably cheaper, only minus I can see---need added steering damper, be nice to change trail of fork, of course drive belts and clutch parts life will be shorter, them doing stuff they weren't designed for------And think of this...for the CAR TIRE nuts, a smaller OD car tire might provide the necessary overall gearing reduction necessary. But once bike is set up correct for sidecar use it should stay that way. Right car tire might work on front---but remember bike rims and car rims are different in the bead area--danger? In Europe EML made wheels rims that would work for car tires on sidecar outfits.

I rode sidecar outfits for 40 years, some ex factory, HD, MZ ETZ my BMW R51/3 except for solo gearing pulled a sidecar nicely with 24 HP----ALSO had 2 cobbled up from parts available---Guzzi V-7 Steib S350 (really needed trail changed and reduced overall gearing to be fine...no money was the problem on my part) and Yamaha SR500, Jawa sidecar...actually worked quite well for low buck deal.

I think a sidecar outfit set up right in skilled hands much more enjoyable and safer.

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 8:32 pm

I know how tippy honda 3 wheeler are ,had a few.If you look at Trigg trike photo gallery , the trike wheel are 5" farther then the rear drive wheel giving a more stable ride . My intention is to use the kit when my pillion is with me .To give me stability in stop and go traffic .With 2 knee replacement and 26" in seem , its a tricky balancing act . It take 10 minute to remove the kit and 10+ to reinstall .I prefer 2 wheel riding and will do so 80% of the time.I find a side car to wide and not sure that I would like it. The Swing Trigg trike is 51"wide and give the Swing a longer wheel base,with 15"rims for stability.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I looked up Trigg Trike---no model for SilverWing----$4000 set of training wheels----and of course would probably work standing still or very slow.

Problem SilverWing with passenger---passenger jacked way high up in air, making scooter very top heavy feeling---I am old/stroke/DAV/ 29" inseam and have to think with passenger....add top box even worse.

Bikes with flat seat like Triumph Bonneville (new), older BMW R60/6 even older Guzzi V-7 were pleasure with passenger....I haven't had new Bonneville but did have new 6T Thunderbird '62. Vespas also easy with passenger.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Tinman... Couple of things... The Trinity trike I have is perfect for me. Is it perfect? No, but I have had good service with it. I will not put any other product down here on this forum. A lot of trikers ride other brands of kits. Some like em, some don't.

I do want to comment on a couple of things John brings up. One, top heavy... Riding alone, the trike rides the same as two wheel did. With my wife riding with me, I still do not notice any problem in handling. And I do have a Givi 55 top box. 2nd, stability of 3wheels. Honda 3wheel ATVs not sold anywhere around here anymore. I think they are even outlawed. I am not sure about the outlaw part, but I do know no one sells them. Comparing tires/wheels on those machines with the 3 wheels of our trikes is like comparing apples and oranges.
Find the model/style you like and go for it.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 am

John ,On the Trigg trike photo album of Honda bikes ,go to the 4rth sets of pictures, the last 2 photos are of the grey Swing . Opalsboy ,1985 was the last year 3 wheel Atv were sold ,they were not for HW riding ,off road only and very unstable. Motor cycle trikes are very stable when riding at HW speeds . Yelvington trike is one I like very much ,along with the Danson,the Voyager,and the Trigg trike. The Trigg trike is $4k ,The others range from 1 to 3k more plus shipping and duties .I am not ready to go with a true trike full time yet.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 am

I rode Messerschmitts for several years---3 wheel pushers---ok but sure easy to raise inside wheel now that I think of it, and the cop that used to chase us on our 125 HD's, raised inside wheel, once ran in the bushes, on his HD servicar.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 09, 2012 10:31 am

Everything can be unstable at higher speed.You must of had a rush on that chase. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 5:09 am

I was flipping through Cycle Trader yesterday and noticed this Tow-Pac for sale for $2,995.00. Thought you might be interested.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Other-Tow-Pac-for-Honda-Silverwing-FSC600-Scooter-108150100
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 am

The one thing that I don't like about The TOW PAC on a Swing Is that they are very wide in proportion to the Swing . The Trigg trike is the narrower one at 51" outside and 31" inside mesurment.It make for a more compact look,along with the 5" set back of the 15' aluminum rims IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trike conversion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trike conversion   Trike conversion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trike conversion
Page 1 of 1