Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?

Go down 
+2
Smaug
Octarine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:59 am

Ive put about 1500 miles on the bike so far and the seat is getting more and more uncomfortable to deal with. Id like to at the very least sit on one of the custom seats before plunking down such a large sum.

Im leaning towards the Russell. What changed my mind was riding a vtx1300 that a buddy put a Mustang seat on. Ive ridden a couple vtx's before and found them uniformly cramped. The mustang seat turned it into a completely new to me experience.

The difference was so startling I have to consider the Swing would benefit as much.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 8:45 am

Before you drop a big chunk of change on something like that, you might consider a Beadrider or a simple ATV or stadium seat from Walmart.

I've got them both, and they both work well.

The main issue is not so much the shape of the stock seat, but the fact that it doesn't let your butt breathe. The aftermarket ones are usually leather, so they help a lot in this regard.

I've had three Corbins previously. (Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki Concours, Yamaha FJR1300) They're shaped well and they breathe, but they are rock-hard and actually make for a more jarring ride. (I custom ordered the last one as 'soft' but it didn't help much)

Corbins are so expensive now, it would be better I think to go custom and get a Russell if you're going to go that route.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 11:37 pm

I have put over 24,000 miles on my Swing since I got it 22 months ago. The first 1600 miles I only had the stock seat. I too found it to be quite uncomfortable. The following spring I bought a Airhawk seat cushion what a difference. Well worth the $130.00. Just another option to consider that isn't so expensive.
Back to top Go down
edwardwr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:00 pm

Cathy,
On our silverwing I pulled the seat and took it to a local upholstery shop. We had them pull the cover and remove some foam replacing it with a surgical gel foam material. Thousands of miles later my wife is still happy as a clam with it. I have a corbin on my goldwing and frankly here silverwing feels better on the ......
If your ever in the Starved Rock State Park area your welcome to try it out.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 12:13 pm

edwardwr,

Thanks, I will keep that in mine. Bob and I go out that way once in awhile. I especially like to in the fall for the colors. PM me with your phone # so I can give you a call next time we plan to go out that way. Thanks again.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:14 pm

Im leaning towards the russell over the corbin. The wings are what I think will make the most difference.
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 am

CathyN,
I'm new around here. I saw your post about the Airhawk seat cushion. There are several available. Can you tell me which one I would need for my Silver Wing?
Thanks,
Waterboy

-------------

I have put over 24,000 miles on my Swing since I got it 22 months ago. The first 1600 miles I only had the stock seat. I too found it to be quite uncomfortable. The following spring I bought a Airhawk seat cushion what a difference. Well worth the $130.00. Just another option to consider that isn't so expensive.

honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:30 am

waterboy wrote:
I saw your post about the Airhawk seat cushion. There are several available.

Original AirHawk neoprene
Newer/Cheaper AirHawk II Polyurethane

The majority of the AirHawk answers would be for the original AirHawk. The newer and cheaper AirHawk II ... not sure how long it will lasts.

waterboy wrote:
Can you tell me which one I would need for my Silver Wing?

Once you choose your AirHawk version ... the you are down to size.

With the Buttrest, I had the medium AirHawk, which I use for my wife on longer trips with her when needed for her comfort.

With the Buttrest removed (Utopia backrest), I then purchased a large AirHawk
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 5:45 pm

waterboy,

honda_silver is correct. I have the original Airhawk medium, I have the butt rest still on. You would need the large if the butt rest is removed.

Just got back from a 2800 hundred mile trip to the Black Hills, SD. Longest ride day was 620 miles. The Airhawk was great.
Back to top Go down
waterboy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 9:58 am

Thank you so much for your help. While I'm at it, can you recommend a supplier?
I took advice here in the forum and ordered a Givi AF 214 windshield Sunday from David Sparrow. It should be here today.
I might as well get started with a seat cushion order. My seat's a little lumpy since I removed the butt rest. It's nice to be able to scoot back, though.
Waterboy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?   Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone near Chicago have a Russell or Corbin seat?
Page 1 of 1