Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» finally figured out what is wrong with scootering in N America/US
by Easyrider Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Looking for 7811 ST HO SWT 400/600 (Fehling - Side Case Holder for Givi/Kappa (Monokey) Case) New or Old
by hayesfamilyscoots Yesterday at 9:11 pm

» Foot brake
by cotetoi Yesterday at 5:04 pm

» Hi from Scotland
by Scootypuff Snr Yesterday at 2:22 pm

» What did you do to your SW today.
by cotetoi Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Throttle cable
by john grinsel Yesterday at 10:35 am

» New to scooters trying to decide which one
by cotetoi Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

» 2010 silverwing low beam head LIGHT
by heinlein Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am

» Tool to hold cam chain tensioner?
by Loosebearing Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:35 am

» 2013 Silverwing ABS FOR SALE
by cube Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 am

Looks like I need to take a look at the upper right side of my SWing motor. A few drops of oil on the shop floor. Looked under the scooter and the oil filter seal is dry and the drain cap is also dry. It's been a while since the last oil change so its not any remaining oil on the engine guard plate.

I did a search and found some information on leaks. Looks like the next step is to start pulling tupperware off.

Just a note...the other day I heard what sounded like a small rattle from that side. I felt around when the scooter was running and rattling. Nothing on the out side of the scooter is loose Question
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:58 pm

It's nothing serious.To all SWs the sooner or later some oil escapes from the elastic seal of the stators cable .Not big of an issue.You can can live with it or you can seal it with some silicone ....either from the outside... or better(but harder) from the iside right engines cover.Rattle has nothing to do with it.Just coincidence IMO
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi,

Some of you might be wonding what happen to the oil leak "JAY" was having...Well I cleaned and cleaned the bottom of the engine..not a drop or smug of dirt or oil any where. Then I went for a ride to get the scooter hot. Next morning there was a drop of oil coming off the engine guard. I removed the guard and cleaned the engine under that piece of hardware and reinstalled the 4 bolts. (Engine guard removed only to clean and the observation of possible leak locations).

Went for a short ride... when I got back to the shop, oil was forming a drop of oil on the cooling fin just in front on the oil drain plug...Soooo, I replaced the O-ring on the plug and did an oil and filter change on the scoot.

I thought that I found the broblem...I warmed the bike up let it cool down....Yes, another oil drop started to form on the same fin.

This morning...I decided the oil leak was coming from between the two halves of the engine case. BUMMMER!!!!

After some research... I then decided to put just a little more torque on the case bolt in the area. Not much , just a little bit more 1/8-1/6 of a turn, and warned her up till the fan came on.

Now that the scooter has cooled down, I'm going to take a look....So here I go... GOOD NEWS, no oil leak!!!!!!

I'll keep an eye on it for a few days.

This is good, I was about to rename "JAY" to the new name "OLD LEAKY"

Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 419
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 am

"OLD LEAKY" My gosh. I can almost relate. But I am not old enough to truly relate. Only 64 and still ticking. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:22 pm

This morning I reached under the scooter and there was oil drops. Sad

OK...One more thing to try...A new oil drain cap. Just ordered one. The old oil cap just might have a micro crack in it.

Now waiting for the new oil cap to be delivered.

After this, if the new oil cap fails to stop the leak, it's "Old Leaky" till the engine is pulled and taken apart and re-sealed. pale
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:35 am

I'm having a similar problem with oil around the bottom right of the engine and the engine guard. It's dry oil and there are no drips or drops, just a spread of dry and hardened oil. The oil filter and drain plug areas are clean so what can it be?

I thought DennisB had solved it by tweaking the casing bolts on that side of the engine. I must admit that this must be a very gradual leak because I cleaned all that stuff up on the last oil/filter change about 3000 miles ago and. as I said, it's not actually dripping, but as we all know, it's only gonna get worse. So far I have done no further investigation, i.e removing plastic or covers etc.

I know this is an old thread but I wondered whether DennisB had solved it? Mine is a 2001 with 25000 miles on it.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 607
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

My money is on the grommets that seal the alternator wires coming from the right side case. There are 2 grommets and they will harden and crack with age. A 2001 SWing is a good candidate for that. Mine is a 2007 and already showing some seeping from the same area.
I haven't figured out what to do about mine yet. It is not affecting the running, oil pressure is good, and I'm not having to top up. I don't get any drops of oil under the bike either, so it's not a huge leak.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Loosebearing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks for that cotetoi.

Like you, it's not causing any problems but it's something to keep an eye on. Does it require a major fix or can it be sealed with some modern silicone substance. I need to look at the engine breakdown diagram to have a look. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2818
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
Thanks for that cotetoi.

Like you, it's not causing any problems but it's something to keep an eye on. Does it require a major fix or can it be sealed with some modern silicone substance. I need to look at the engine breakdown diagram to have a look. Any ideas?

Further to Jay's comment, that/those grommet(s) are a common enough issue on the Silverwing, and probably other Hondas as well. It's a splash-leak, not a pressure leak. Unfortunately those grommets are not available as replacement items and there is no easy peasy way to cure that drip.

The only fix is to pull the stator cover, clean the grommet and "gasket" surfaces with a solvent then reseal the grommets and stator cover with Hondabond or Yamahabond sealer. Do it once right or do it over again. Been there, done that.

Tim
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 607
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:19 pm

I had a similar problem on my Helix. What you could do as a temporary fix is to use a good sealant compound. The trick is to get the area totally clean, no oil or grease. Engine degreaser would work. On the Helix I used a Permatek product to seal. You have to let the application dry thoroughly, overnight is best, before you fire up again.
Or, you could wait till you have to remove the right side cover for some reason and do a sealing job from inside and out.
I personally never done it. Someone with more experience could chime in.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy   Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Hondabond 4 is the stuff you want. Goo seals those rubber parts and stays soft flexible.

I was chasing a oil leak on left side Water pump. Not coolant but oil. All better now new pump.
Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Leak - I need to get busy
Page 1 of 1