Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho

Go down 
+3
larryinseattle
surlybiker58
realbtl
7 posters
AuthorMessage
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Empty
PostSubject: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Weather was a bit iffy but I decided WTH and took off on my Idaho 3 dayer today. My wife said it started to rain about an hour after I left but I managed to get out of Montana dry. The last 100 miles it sort of spit at me occasionally, not enough to bother with the rain gear.

Day 1, 5/31- Bigfork MT to Riggins ID, 318 miles, 7.25 hours.
Animals I had to slow down for: group of 3 chickens (?), 2 separate wild turkeys.
As I said it was kind of a grey day though not too cold, about 47. Had a big breakfast at home and headed down Hwy 93 towards Missoula and Lolo.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0225
Gassed up at Lolo and headed up Hwy 12. This is my favorite road sign ever when I'm on 2 wheels.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0226
Plus there's 35 miles of twisties going up the pass on the Montana side. Actually just about all of this big circle starting and ending at Lolo is great bike country.
About 8 miles past the sign I picked up the Lochsa River and followed it or the river it flowed into for about 100 miles.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0227
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0228
At Kooskia I picked up Hwy 13 for about 30 miles. In this part of Idaho you follow the rivers down in the valleys then climb up onto a bench for a while, then back down.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0310
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0311
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0312
I picked up the Salmon River at the bottom of the last pic and followed it to Riggins. I'll be rejoining it on the east side in 2 days. It flows through the “river of no return” portion of the wilderness.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0313
Here is where I am composing this, at least until it decides to seriously rain. Just the occasional drop now.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0314
Got into Riggins about 3:00, checked in and walked ½ mile downtown for dinner. I went into a bar & grill and couldn't believe they still allow smoking in Idaho. Luckily they had an outdoor area when I got a killer BBQ pork sandwich.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Day 2- 271 miles, 7 hours
Animals I had to slow down for:
1 deer, off to the side but I don't trust them
As you can see I don't do long days anymore. There are lots of beautiful places nearby plus I'm retired and don't have to hurry. I left about 8:00 AM after coffe while packing up. Had a couple of small roads to take so out came the old fart's GPS.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0315
Gorgeous day, sunny and mid-50s when I left. I followed the Salmon for a while then went up into a beautiful open valley.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0316
Went down the road about 20 miles and had a great double expresso. These are a crap shoot in many small towns, often just strong coffee. This one had the slightly foamy top and was a pleasant surprise sitting in the sun drinking it.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0317
I like to get going in the morning then stop for breakfast somewhere. This morning it was in McCall where I found a hip little place with good eggs Benedict outside in the sun. Unfortunately I couldn't see the lake.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0318
Another hour and it was starting to get warm so I stopped along the Little Salmon River to get my mesh gloves and remove my jacket liner. You get used to this kind of thing here in the Spring and Fall when there can be a 40+ degree shift in temps as the day goes along.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0319
Pretty soon I left Hwy 55 onto a small road up through Crouch and started climbing. I was following another river and saw quite a few rafters and kyackers. There were lots of very nice campgrounds along this road. Kept climbing. It started to get cold.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0320
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0321
I got up high and stayed there until past Stanley.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0322
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0323
At Stanley I picked up my old friend the Salmon. Once I had lost 1000' or so it warmed up and the country got drier. It reminded me of the east side of the Sierras.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0324
As I was cruising along this road I came upon somebody touring on a Honda Trail 90 (OK, it could have been a 110 but still...) loaded down with camping gear and putting along about 35. I admire folks like that.
I'm now in the Holiday Lodge in Challis ID, an old 50s motel that has been upgraded and is quite nice especially for $52. If you are ever in Challis I highly recommend it. I prefer these kind of places to the BW I was in last night. Clouds are coming in so we may get some rain tonight as well as tomorrow. Oh well, today was worth it.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Day 3- 305 miles, 7.5 hours
Animals I had to slow down for:
1 herd of 30 or so cows being driven along the road, luckily not too sloppy;
1 cow elk who didn't really want to get out of the middle of the road;
1 rather sickly looking big horn sheep.

Woke up this morning to rain drops left on my seat cover and this
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0325
so decided to put on my rain gear in the motel as it is easier that way. Went about 20 miles in the sunshine with mostly sun to the north so I decided to get rid of all but the pants as they are a PITA to take on and off. Plus the combination of the rain cover for the seat and my rain pants kept causing me to slide into a slouch which was bothering my back. Still pretty dry along the Salmon.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0326
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0327
Near Salmon ID I broke into a big valley with snow covered mountains to the east. A couple of years ago I rode from Salmon to Jackson WY along the road at their base and it is deserted and beautiful.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0328
About 30 miles later I said goodbye to the Salmon River as it headed west into the mountains. The road in the picture is a side road that goes up towards the wilderness area.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0329
Went over the pass into Montana and into the Bitterroot Valley.
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho Dscn0330
Just before I got into Lolo MT to complete the circle I began on Day 1 it started to rain pretty hard. I managed to gear up before it hit and rode the last 110 miles home in the rain. I'm not complaining as this is a fairly straight grind-it-out section for me as I've seen it many times.

Stats:
894 miles
16.12 Gal.
55.5 mpg- High 57.8, low 50.7 on the last beat it on home section.
$63.43 for gas

Summary. This turned out to be a great trip and the Wing performed flawlessly. I say I like to go slow like I did on the Helix last year but the truth is that it's kind of nice to roll along at 75 in some sections. I'm happy with the +2” Cee Bailey windscreen and the tail bag was perfect. Why why why did I wait all of these years for a Russell Day Long seat? It was wonderful, no squirming around at about 250 miles and I feel like I could have gone another 150 without too much trouble.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Gee, you use the same model GPS I use !

Beautiful country you have out there in the west !
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Absolutely stunning pictures on your ride report. Thank you.

I too noticed your GPS. I upgraded a few years ago to the new fangled ones and found out they can get you lost so I always carry a paper map too.

I look to be riding some of those same roads come August.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Great ride report! And the pictures were super as well. hit a nerve for me as I used to live in Idaho and many of the places, I know and have seen! Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Re: GPS
I've never felt the need and in fact have 30k miles on my Subaru and never used the nav. I have however learned to distrust Google Maps. A few years ago I took an extended camper trip to BC that included two 12 hour ferry rides with an overnight on a tiny island to change ferries. Google maps showed a campground so I made a reservation. Turns out it was on a nearby island and I ended up camping by the ferry dock. I thought about camping in the woods until the RMCP told me about the grizzlies and wolves on the island.

ETA Thanks for the response on the pix. I'm using a $90 Nikon Coolpix point and shoot and am very impressed with it.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Great ride report and pics. I was up in NW Montana in 1986 camping. Glacier, Yellowstone, etc.. We were driving a Ford PU then. Would love to get back there on the Swing one day. Beautiful country.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Beautiful report on a beautiful trip. Thank you. :flower:
Back to top Go down
Windrider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Windrider

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 am

I did a Motorcycle trip to Washington State in 2004. Seen a lot of Id. And Or. It was a great trip. Did it in july, I like the pic. and wish I could do it again. The trip was from East Texas to the top of Wash.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho   Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Racing the Rain- 3 days in Idaho
Page 1 of 1