Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scooter Reviews

Go down 
+8
The Scootist
surlybiker58
john grinsel
the7smiths
dspevack
GHM-PM
roadrunner
Chilliwing
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:39 pm

I just visited the Cycle Canada website and noticed that the June and July 2012 issues are reviewing the BMW C600 & C650, Kymco 300 and the Yamaha TMax. To read the issues you have to subscribe ($15 CAN and change for 12 electronic issues). So I took the plunge and subscribed to the electronic issues (not something I usually do) and was pleasantly surprised by the experience and the quality of the publication.

For those that might be interested here is the link to the website where you can subscribe. There is also a limited free component to the magazine although that does not include the aforementioned scooter reviews.

http://www.cyclecanadaweb.com
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 2:54 pm

I for one would like to see an unbiased comparision of all the maxi-scooters offered in the states. The current Silver Wing, the Burgman 400 and 650, The T-Max, the new Beemers, the big Kymcos (I think they have a 300 and a 500) and just for fun throw in the Vespa 300. I know it may not seem fair to throw 300s, 400s, 500s, and 600s together, but the smaller scoots do have their pluses. What I'd really like to know is how far behind Honda is with the old SWing, and how competitive it still may be. I'd also like to see how the new "Integra" stacks up.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 6:44 pm

With the increased popularity of scooters worldwide what I would really like to see is a top class scooter magazine covering reviews and comparisons of new and older scooters,
accessories, apparel, travel features, custom and rider features, maintenance etc.

Anybody know of one?

Maybe there is an emerging market out there that is ready for a quality publication of this kind.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 7:29 pm

I second the motion Chill!!! Looked for one today but found nothing at the store, so far.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm

There was such a magazine, but in print it lost money, so it went to a web only subscription format, and I don't know if its still around. Don't even remember the name.

Dan
Back to top Go down
the7smiths
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
the7smiths

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Went out to read the article and the first paragraph caught my eye and I have a question.

What make a motorcycle real?
Back to top Go down
http://www.awiseplan.com
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:00 pm

dspevack wrote:
There was such a magazine, but in print it lost money, so it went to a web only subscription format, and I don't know if its still around. Don't even remember the name.

It was called Scoot! and only occasionally covered maxiscooters; they lean toward the Vespa side of things. It's still around on the Web at http://www.thescootclub.com/

I do miss the hardcopy...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:36 am

Road tests in US magazines are not critical---because #1 they need free bikes from makers to test---too hard=no free bikes. #2 they would have a loss of ad money if makers didn't like their methods.

Brit mags in the 50-60's wrote some nice tests on bikes that were real junk---enough to put the industry out of business.

German magazines in past have done good job, Motorrad, did/tear downs after some hard miles. When the CB750 Hondas first came out ('69 maybe) even printed pictures of their test bike that broke chains, tearing up engine cases. Touren Fahrer, does nice tests on bikes, even showing rear wheel removal using onboard OEM tools---no go for us in US scooter market....where are the tools?

MOTORETTA, again German,----just pulled out Aug 07 issue----Good and weaknesses of Vespa GTS 250...to include rusting, exhaust joint problems. Great info to know. Test was 6,000 km. Would US bike mag be so brave? They don't even complain about street bikes with no center stand.

US mags tend to glaze over top, really not big mile test and usually nothing on do it yourself maint---bad air management, etc. Sad. Do the writers actually ride bikes to work? Not mag, but industry related, once staying at El Toro USMC Air station, I spied on MSF/ MIC Motorcycle Industry Council for work week AM/PM---One bike being ridden to work, their van seemed to get big workout, then on day it rained=no bike. And these people are supposed to have my/our interest as riders at heart?

Bottom line--scooters not enough to support Scooter Mag, in times when print business is going downhill and in US case not much interest in scooters. In US market buyers often become the testers with their money and time.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:45 am

Just one more value of this forum
Prospective new owners can come here for the real scoop on the Silverwing
as well as opinions on a lot of other bikes .
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:39 am

Yeah, I agree with John. Magazine reviews seem more like promotional jibberish. I think you can get a more unbiased review from some of the experienced riders on here.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:19 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing that Terry.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:45 am

Maxi scoots have a hard time belonging to any majority motorcycle group. They perform strong enough to be in the sport bike category.... but it doesn't look hot.. so count that out. It doesn't look like a cruiser, so those guys aren't into them and they are not a sport tourer either, although they hold quite a bit of gear.

They way out perform the 250cc and under class so those guys sneak out for rides and don't call ya.

If you put knobby tires on it, wouldn't make it a dual sport either.

I am proud that my Silverwing 600 and the Maxi Scoot class will continue to grow in popularity, but it is never gonna be a rage as long as the cruisers dress like pirates and people put the Harley on a pedestal as "American Made" and a symbol of the American Workers Pride.

Wave the flag... you are not an American if you ride an American made Goldwing because it has a Japanese name.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:46 am

bigbird wrote:
A great mag is Motorcycle Consumer News.
They are 100% subscriber supported, no advertising, and they tell it like it is. A subscription isn't cheap at $44/yr. I've never seen it on a news stand. They test everything, from scooters to cruisers, and everything in between. One thing I particularly like in their road tests are listings of required maintenance, dealer shop times for the maintenance, and parts and labour costs.
Highly recommended.

www.mcnews.com

That sounds like worthy reading. Might have to subscribe to that at least for one year....

Thanks for the info.

I just went to the link you provided and they post the index of the articles. I was hoping they would have posted the whole article.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 6:50 pm

I heard that Honda has started making Goldwings in Japan

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 7:01 pm

The 2012 model is being made in Japan. American plant is now making automobile parts. There was no 2011 model. All wings previous to 2012 were made in the USA.

Harley parts are made in China and some are assembled in India.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 7:15 pm

That's sad . They are certainly not getting any cheaper but I guess
Honda can make more of a profit that way.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 10:02 pm

surlybiker58 wrote:
That's sad . They are certainly not getting any cheaper but I guess
Honda can make more of a profit that way.

My understanding on the move is that the US market share has slowed and the world market has continued to grow for the Goldwing. I am sure we will see some drastic changes on the Wing in the next few years. There is talk of an automatic.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks for the link to mcnews.com Bigbird. Interesting honest reading and articles there.

The name reminds me of a British motorcycle weekly newspaper I used to read every week when I worked in London in the 70's. MCN (Motor Cycle News). Not sure if it still a weekly newspaper or now a magazine. It used to be a great weekly read on the daily train ride to and from he double hockey sticks.
That website is http://www.motorcyclenews.com
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:04 am

I bought MCN every week for many years when I was into bikes, nowadays I'll probably buy an issue about twice a year and that'll be for a freebie clothing catalog inside. MCN is all about "getting yer knee down" on the latest 180mph crotch rocket.

Mr Grinsel is right about German magazines, they have a very large selection to choose from and I subscribed to Touren Fahrer for many years. Apart from Motoretta, anything with 'Roller' in the title is worth picking up and browsing through. They are also a useful source for accessories, touring destinations, and riding gear.

Out of the US magazines I'd say Road RUNNER is the best mix of test rides, touring articles, and clothing and equipment revues. They have road tested the Silver Wing and 650 Burgman in the past, and when my 3 year subscription ends this year I'll go for the downloaded version. It's also a useful source of products and services, and I wish a similar type of magazine was available in the UK.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:43 am

I read Road Runner---yes, they have and do test scooters by riding them......but their choice of hotel/motels for me as rider ir real turn off...and their general knowledge of bikes, including of bikes of the DDR, even though the editor/publisher is German speaking, is terrible. As semi-cripple on certain days, I prefer rooms you can park in front of door---I don't look at that as way to watch or hear bike being stolen(steal it, insurance money might allow me to buy/try something different) but as convenince for loading/cleaning windshield/any quick fixing or adjustments.

US MCN---started out as Rode Rider.... George Hays/then Roger Hull who came late in game to bikes, but rode a lot died too young/ Bob Carpenter (his wife still is on Masthead at MCN) Under this name RR, some real riding was done----now I think budgets/times restrict any serious riding/testing.---it has gotten pretty expensive over the years, but I still get it.----it has articles on health, your head, design(most of what could never go thru puddle) Used to be great source of ads for stuff rider needed.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 1:54 pm

John, is there any reports on the Kymco700 in the european press?. i watched a video of it on you tube,i don't think they intend selling it in the UK, pity as i would have liked a test ride. Sad My last magazine i read avidly was Motorcycle Mechanics in the sixties.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 2:14 pm

I read saw Kymco 700 test/review----but where? I spent over 20 years in Asia, my take they make some good stuff. Kymco review seemed to me to be same engine as new BMW scooter. In US I would have no fear of Kymco and their parts prices are fair. In Korea,, Daelim 250 has Kymco drive train with no troubles in commercal service.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:08 pm

I believe I read somewhere that Kymco was making the engines for the BMW maxi-scooters! Probably good stuff but seems a shame if you think you are getting a BMW and guess what... Probably paying a premium for the BMW name too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scooter Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scooter Reviews   Scooter Reviews I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scooter Reviews
Page 1 of 1