Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Share | 

How can the brake delay be tested?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LarryB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: How can the brake delay be tested?   Fri 24 Feb 2012, 18:12

With the front wheel off the ground, I give it a good spin and apply the left brake lever. The tire stops immediately with no delay, even with a light touch. Is this normal? Shouldn't the delay valve not apply the front brake for a second or two? Or, is the valve applying just a little force that would not affect the brake if the bike was on the road? Is there any way to test this valve? Thanks

LarryB
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: How can the brake delay be tested?   Fri 24 Feb 2012, 19:30

Interesting. I'd imagine the only way to know would be on a rolling road where you could compare the breaking force of each wheel.

Your experiment seems to prove that there is some leakage of pressure to the front but maybe its reduced when compared to the back brake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
LarryB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: How can the brake delay be tested?    Fri 24 Feb 2012, 19:53

The service manual says the following:

This model is equipped with Combined Brake System. Check the rear brake operation as follows:

Place the scooter on its centerstand.
Jack up the scooter to raise the fromt wheel off the ground.

Operate the rear brake lever. Make sure the front wheel does not turn while the rear brake lever is operated.

It goes on to basically to say make sure no air is in the system, then start changing out parts. If this is the only test, my next step is to bleed the system. The delay valve is around $110 shipped. Ouch!!Sad

The brake fluid levels are good, but the fluid is brown. So, I'll flush the entire brake system and go from there, but I sure would like a better test for the valve.

Anyone got any experience with this?
Back to top Go down

How can the brake delay be tested?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1