Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Today at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Today at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Yesterday at 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS Empty
PostSubject: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:21 am

I'm planning to make up a couple of stainless steel extension arms for the mirrors and wonder if someone knows the exact thread size of the lug that they screw into on the bar fitting.The locknuts take a 15mm spanner so the thread would probably be somwhere between 9mm and 12mm.
I'm lead to believe that there's a slight difference in the thread profile between European and Japanese metric threads for sizes over 12mm sizes so hopefully someone would now what i'm rattling on about.
The new extension would also raise the mirror height as well as bringing them further out as at the moment i'm getting a perfect view of my jacket sleeves at the moment.If anyone else has made these perhaps some dimensions or measurements would be possible.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:51 am

I have read that the threads are 10mm. Is this the measurement you need? I hear the Reflex and the Burgman 400 mirrors work on the SWing and they also have the 10mm thread. Take some pics on how you do this and post them if you have time. I'm sure we would all like to see them.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 11:58 am

10mm. I put Burgman mirrors on mine they work outstandingly well. Click the picture for larger view.

SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS Hpim0320.th
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey All,
I haven't tried it, but does the mirror stem screw in to the mirror head the same as it screws in to the handle bar?? I know there's no lock nut there. Had a funny idea of just getting a piece (whatever required length) of stock threaded material that would screw into both areas and then bend it (carefully) to your most suitable angle. Could then be painted, shrinkwrap applied, etc. Maybe something similar to what Brian is doing. .....just wondered...

Last edited by DickO on Sat May 02, 2009 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 11:13 pm

DickO
This is "Old Dave" again!
I made two extenders for my 05 SWing. Took a piece of 3/8 in aluminum and cut them out of it with my old saw. I could have use metal as I'm going to paint them black. You do need two 10mm bolts and those are kind of hard to come by here where I live so had to order them. They are the automotive fine thread. You will see when you remove your mirror.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Mirror extenders   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Dave Read

I live in Kent and researched mirror extenders for 2009 Silverwing as also fed up looking at my elbows.

I purchased the following Honda parts and they extend mirrors sufficient to give unobstructed view behin - they also do not impeed on Givi windscreen on full lock

Part No 88111mct000 - you need two and these are extender bars - £37.32 the pair
Part No 90314mb6000 - you need two and these are lock nuts - £3.80 the pair

Items ordered and supplied by Kent Motorcycles, Honda dealer

Hope this helps

Bill

FOTGOT TO SAY - Original mirrors just screw into new fittings and job done

Bill
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses - all very helpful.I guessed they were probably 10mm threads but my ex-Moto Guzzi 10mm allen socket bolts would start a couple of turns then pinch up.The thread profile is different even they are both 10mm.
I like the Burgman mirrors as they look to have much larger heads although I'm really looking at the least expensive option and think I'll have ago at making a pair of extension arms

Just had my best ride out yesterday since getting the bike in March.Geograhically speaking it probably won't mean much to our friends across the pond when I say I started out at 7.45am from Bromley, Kent and went to Leighton Buzzard (Narrow gauge Railway),across to the Glos.& Warwick Railway and home for supper at 7.30.Super A & B roads,mostly empty,dry weather,excellent machine and 58mpg over 270miles.That might not seem to be a big mileage for a day if you're USA based but in the UK its a different scenario.To give you an idea - Googlemap the route I took starting with the A41 from London - Leighton Buzzard-Winslow-Bicester-Moreton-Stow-Toddington-Cheltenham-Swindon-Bracknell-Guildford,West Wickham.
Cheers and happy riding!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS   SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SILVERWING MIRROR EXTENSIONS
Page 1 of 1