Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi Top Boxes

Go down 
+2
honda_silver
Guy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 pm

Basically, what is the difference between Givi's Monolock and their Monokey cases? I am considering either the Monokey E-30 or the Monolock E-300 and the rear lights and back rest pad. All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 pm

Guy wrote:
Basically, what is the difference between Givi's Monolock and their Monokey cases?

http://www.giviluggage.co/givi-luggage-explained/the-difference-between-the-givi-monolock-monokey-technology/
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:46 am

Above ref explains difference. My E-46 Monokey has survived over 500,000 miles of hard daily use. Go with the more expensive. You get what you pay for.

Buying another box--I would go for Givi Trekker, as you can open it part way, it has square corners.

Box mounted back rests tend to beat passenger up. Better Givi passenger back rest that mounts solid to bike---as I recall I had one on my SilverWing and have one on my last 2 Burgman 400's.

I found Givi lites not greatest in world....but connecting method to box is great. I found as box aged, red truck marker lite made great/cheap extra stop lite.

Of the many motorcycle/scooter aftermarket junk available----Givi works well/fits well and does the job.....and doesn't let you down.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 am

I don't know about the Trekker but agree with everthing else John said.
Incidentally, the givi separate backrest WON'T fit on the 650 Burger if it's got a topbox fitted - one up for the Silverwing! cheers
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm

MikeO wrote:
Incidentally, the givi separate backrest WON'T fit on the 650 Burger if it's got a topbox fitted - one up for the Silverwing! cheers

The 650 Burgman Executive already has a very comfortable backrest but you have to remove it to fit the Givi Monorack. It's pretty easy to do because because the rack bolts onto the three holes that held the backrest. On the older basic 650 Burgers with no backrest you have to drill three holes in the Tupperware. Even that is pretty straightforward because the underside of the panel is pre-marked with the positions to drill the holes. Then you can mount either a rear carrier or the 650 backrest.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Givi makes it sound like you get a substantially better top box with the Monokey than the Monolock. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. I frankly don't see the advantage of spending the extra money.

I looked at a Monolock and Monokey top case in the dealership one day. There was little difference between the two that I could see, and nothing that could justify spending the extra money. I asked the salesman, and he couldn't point out anything either. Especially since when you buy the Monokey, you have to buy the mounting plate. With the Monolock, the mounting plate is included.

Just as a point of comparison, the top box I bought for my 2007 Burgman 400 was a Bestem 2012. It cost me @$80 total. That's the top box and mounting plate for that price. It held up just fine for carrying cases of Costco Soy Milk and the 40 lb box of bird seed they sell. I used that inexpensive Bestem 2012 case for @49,000 miles. That's more miles than most of us will ride in the lifetimes of our scooters...and it held up just fine.

My point is the Givi Monolock top boxes are really decent boxes. The largest, I believe, is the e470...the one I bought from Kiwi Dave. The quality is like comparing a Chevy (Bestem) with a Cadillac (Givi Monolock). Yet even that Chevy top box looked good and did everything I asked of it.

One consideration to make is the amount of loading you can put on your bike. I'm not talking about the load capacity advertized by Givi, but what Honda calls out for the max load in that area. The Givi Monokey V46's shipping weight is 30lbs. The Givi Monolock e470's shipping weight is 23lbs. So while the Monokey will supposedly carry more weight...for all those times you're not carrying 40lbs of bird seed, you've got more weight hanging back there above and behind the rear wheel. On some bikes, the weight of the Givi Monokey alone, is the total max weight of what you can put back there.

Chris
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:57 am

The weight difference is the key - the Monokey boxes are much stiffer than the Monolock ones, being double-skinned round the sides and therefore do not flex.
The carrying-handle and locking arrangements are much better on the more expensive box.
I've had two Monolock boxes and one Monokey, which is the one I have now I've owned and used for six years.
The Monolocks were good but, for me, the Monokey is far superior.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 7:16 am

Look on boxes.....GIVI is expensive, heavy my Monokey----but works well and any top box up high and back is about like an arrow with a rock tied to the rear. On this top box thing----best solution for money----large plastic tool box--yellow works great----drill out rear wing at pre-marked holes, with thin rubber pad and fender washers, 6mm bolts good enough, bolt directly to wing. Cost should be under $30 US.

Add some reflectors/tape and great top box---even can lock with little lock, but who cares---underseat storage is for locking. Looking back at 57 years of doing this I have never had helmet stolen, by just leaving on seat---Italy 1959 had 2 guys try to steal my camping junk from back of bike....I caught them. Same trip,while taking nap, covering myself with ripped/scuffed worn out leather jacket as blanket----it was taken. I have ridden most of Europe/Japan/Korea/Central America----bigger fear today are the fat ladies with bleached blond hair in SUV's, on the phone as I ride on my scooter----they could kill me/you,
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Givi Top Boxes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Givi Top Boxes   Givi Top Boxes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi Top Boxes
Page 1 of 1