Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:21 am

» New member from Europe
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat latch stuck this morning

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Seat latch stuck this morning Empty
PostSubject: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 8:15 am

Today, a particularly cold morning for Atlanta (20 degrees!) I arrived at the office after my 1 hour commute, only to be unable to open my seat (containing my attache case with key card and lunch inside). I turned the key in the lock several times but the seat would not open. I thought perhaps the cable or the plastic lever attached to the lock had broken.

I returned 2 hours later after the sun came up and tried again, and the seat popped open without issue. I wonder if the cause was hardened grease or perhaps some ice forming in the latch somehow. I definitely need to adjust the seat latch, which I will need to investigate how to do.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 8:28 am

Jesse,
There are two catches for the seat. One in the middle and one in the back.
Open the seat and look at where the catch is in the center of the seat (looking front to back). Note for yourself where that corresponds to on the top of the seat.

If this happens again, turn the key, and with the key turned, give a sharp
rap to that location on the top of the seat.

Dan
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 am

toolboxjesse wrote:
I wonder if the cause was hardened grease or perhaps some ice forming in the latch somehow. I definitely need to adjust the seat latch, which I will need to investigate how to do.

I would not adjust the seat latches ... unless the problem occurs very frequently (not just at a lower temperature).

dspevack wrote:
If this happens again, turn the key, and with the key turned, give a sharp rap to that location on the top of the seat.

I turn the key, then place my left hand palm down in the middle where my butt sits then apply increasing pressure till you hear the click ... it does not take much pressure.

Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 1:55 pm

None of those things worked for me at the time, but I appreciate your feedback.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 2:56 pm

The same happen to me .The culprit is the grease..I removed it using break
part cleaner .I had to remove the side panel , disconnect cable and pull with pliers .Then I remove key lock to adjust the bracket to put more tension on
cable. Use WD40 instead of grease. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
CSN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
CSN

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:49 pm

tinman wrote:
The same happen to me .The culprit is the grease..I removed it using break
part cleaner .I had to remove the side panel , disconnect cable and pull with pliers .Then I remove key lock to adjust the bracket to put more tension on
cable. Use WD40 instead of grease. motorcycle
Can you explain this a bit more? How does the grease cause it to get stuck?
I couldn't close mine properly today after putting a full face helmet in there.
I ended up having to put the full face in the givi trunk box and then it closed no problem. I was under the understanding that the seat could hold two full face helmets. I have a shoei helmet so not sure if that is larger than standard size but it seemed to fit no problem but I couldn't get it to latch. The latch then did get stuck trying to reopen so it was a bit frustrating. Then the same thing happened with the left locked side panel. I had my phone and a neck warmer in there. I could turn the key to unlock it but the latch wouldn't open. After several tries it worked. Just wondering if this is common? Today was my first ride out on the bike.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 pm

The grease is to thick,and the latch is connected by the cable to the rear latch,from there it goes to the center latch.There is to much free play and the grease puts to much stress on the cable causing the latch not to open.I removed the grease using brake part cleaner .Then I removed the side panel
to put more tension on the cable by bending the bracket that holds the key lock in place. Use WD 40 on the two latch .
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 6:45 am

I don't think I would use WD40 because it tends to dry up/ wash away (and that smell isn't pretty). I think I would use some graphite lube or something with PTFE.

Jesse
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:44 pm

As long that the grease is removed,the latch works better with a light lub or dry. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat latch stuck this morning   Seat latch stuck this morning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat latch stuck this morning
Page 1 of 1