Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.
 
HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2002 Honda Reflex 250cc ABS
by Scootn56 Today at 02:07

» New Swing owner in South Wales
by Easyrider Yesterday at 18:50

» New possible swing owner
by bikehiker Yesterday at 18:22

» Air Shocks
by Cosmic_Jumper Yesterday at 16:30

» Introduction
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 12:34

» Reply to Post is lost
by Easyrider Fri 20 Oct 2017, 15:10

» A bit windy
by steve_h80 Thu 19 Oct 2017, 15:23

» New Honda three wheeler
by cliffyk Thu 19 Oct 2017, 08:19

» Pin Stripes
by bikehiker Wed 18 Oct 2017, 19:19

» Converting Non Abs Rear wheel for tone Ring woes
by siataukreg Wed 18 Oct 2017, 17:55

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 Profile
 FAQ
 Search
free forum
 
Share | 
 

 Mild UK Weather.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JamieB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 62
Age : 40
Location : North West UK
Points : 2579
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 14:08

Hello all,

Just been out on the scooter to give it a bit of a run, 20 mile or so.

The weather is so mild at the minute, too good of an opportunity!!

9 Degrees and its December.

Merry Christmas to all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2735
Location : York, North Yorkshire, England UK
Points : 5324
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 14:24

It's only warmed up in the last day or so, we've had snow and icy roads in Cumbria. Crossing the A66 was foggy and freezing on Saturday, and it was bitterly cold when wandering around Fountains Abbey in North Yorkshire on Sunday. I'm not dreaming of a White Christmas either, that bloody Bing Crosby has a lot to answer for! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2392
Age : 65
Location : Portland, UK
Points : 5559
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 14:46

Downside is that over the past few days of mild weather the silver - Silver Wing is no longer silver!!!!!! It's a kinda, muddy, sandy, yellowish grey!!! What number plate!!!!!! Can't see it never mind read it!

So tomorrow no matter what the weather it is being cleaned to see if beneath all the road dirt is my Silver Machine!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
avatar

Number of posts : 774
Age : 73
Location : BOLTON LANCASHIRE ENGLAND
Points : 3524
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 15:13

Hi Jamie B Weather forcast for tomorrow is fairly dry.I plan a little run around, as we had snow on Saturday and rain ever since. Could be last chance for a while.I usually end up at Glasson Dock,in the PM,plan to run up to Settle and over the hills to Lancaster before ending up at Glasson it's usually 150ml run for me from Bolton and back. I clean my bike after every run,like having a horse, i always think, tend to the bike first,and it won't let me down, well, worked far ) Did my run today briiliant days riding 147mls over Lancashire and Yorkshire.Had a flask of coffee and a Phillies Blunt cigar Iam content! Wink


Last edited by Old Limey on Thu 22 Dec 2011, 13:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 206
Location : Shropshire, God's own county!
Points : 2647
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 15:50

JamieB wrote:
Hello all,

Just been out on the scooter to give it a bit of a run, 20 mile or so.

The weather is so mild at the minute, too good of an opportunity!!

9 Degrees and its December.

Merry Christmas to all. Smile

Gotta go up to Leeds again before the weekend and after I bottled taking the Swing a week last Monday ( a VERY wise decision as it turned out with 60mph winds and heavy rain) I am wondering if it will be mild again on Thursday or Friday? Got a nice run I use through the Peak District before diving onto the M1 to take me into Leeds City centre, but it does need to be decentish weather over the top!! Smile The return run back to Telford would be pure M'way, M62, 56, 6, 54, and at rush hour around Manchester.... Joy! Sad


Last edited by steveR on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 18:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
u p tom
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider


Number of posts : 111
Location : marquette michigan
Points : 3294
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:50

I remember the Peak District being mentioned in "Pride & Prejudice". Looked very scenic in the movie. Will never see it- my loss. Staying in the U. S.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 206
Location : Shropshire, God's own county!
Points : 2647
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 17:59

u p tom wrote:
I remember the Peak District being mentioned in "Pride & Prejudice". Looked very scenic in the movie. Will never see it- my loss. Staying in the U. S.

Yep, a typically English, compact scenic area, 40mins and you are through it, but nice roads as long as you avoid the weekend hooners on big sports bikes... Smile

Lots of stone walls waiting for any mistakes in your line... Sad
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
avatar

Number of posts : 206
Location : Shropshire, God's own county!
Points : 2647
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Wed 21 Dec 2011, 18:03

Waspie wrote:
Downside is that over the past few days of mild weather the silver - Silver Wing is no longer silver!!!!!! It's a kinda, muddy, sandy, yellowish grey!!! What number plate!!!!!! Can't see it never mind read it!

So tomorrow no matter what the weather it is being cleaned to see if beneath all the road dirt is my Silver Machine!!!!

The road dirt is fine, it is all the damned salt eating your alloy that's the bugger! Smile Gotta admit leaving the bike in the shed on damp winter days does preserve them...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2735
Location : York, North Yorkshire, England UK
Points : 5324
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Thu 22 Dec 2011, 04:53

steveR wrote:
The road dirt is fine, it is all the damned salt eating your alloy that's the bugger! Smile Gotta admit leaving the bike in the shed on damp winter days does preserve them...

I've found the only way to get through winter without salt corrosion is to treat the vulnerable areas with a coating of anti-corrosion spray, wax polish the wheels, and hose down the scoot thoroughly with cold water after every ride. Doing no winter preparation or regular after ride cleaning, and just leaving it after a ride on salty damp or wet roads is a sure way of ruining the finish. You may not always want to make the effort to neutralise the corrosive effect of salt, but it's easier than treating the rust and corroded alloy in the Spring.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2392
Age : 65
Location : Portland, UK
Points : 5559
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Thu 22 Dec 2011, 06:53

Meldrew wrote:
steveR wrote:
The road dirt is fine, it is all the damned salt eating your alloy that's the bugger! Smile Gotta admit leaving the bike in the shed on damp winter days does preserve them...

I've found the only way to get through winter without salt corrosion is to treat the vulnerable areas with a coating of anti-corrosion spray, wax polish the wheels, and hose down the scoot thoroughly with cold water after every ride. Doing no winter preparation or regular after ride cleaning, and just leaving it after a ride on salty damp or wet roads is a sure way of ruining the finish. You may not always want to make the effort to neutralise the corrosive effect of salt, but it's easier than treating the rust and corroded alloy in the Spring.

Agree, I coat mine with FS365 after a good wash down.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru


Number of posts : 1025
Age : 79
Location : Lafayette, Colorado, USA
Points : 4342
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Thu 22 Dec 2011, 11:59

Fortunately we here in the lee side of the Rocky Mountains seldom have to worry too much about salt on the roads. They simply use crushed granite that ultimately turns into jillions of tiny glass crystals that eat tires at an alarming rate. As I write this, we have about a foot of fresh snow on everything, still snowing, and I hate it.

flower
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 2392
Age : 65
Location : Portland, UK
Points : 5559
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Thu 22 Dec 2011, 12:10

I live in the middle of this place and as you see, surrounded by salt laden water!

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 3018
Age : 68
Location : Garland, Texas, U.S.A.
Points : 6050
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Mild UK Weather.   Thu 22 Dec 2011, 12:12

joncallihan wrote:
As I write this, we have about a foot of fresh snow on everything, still snowing, and I hate it.

flower
Hush, the snow gods and resort owners (same thing) may be listening. Smile
Back to top Go down
 
Mild UK Weather.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Mild UK Weather.
» pike going off the feed as the weather gets too cold
» Winter 2010/2011 weather prediction
» Weather Feature
» fing hot weather

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Rides and Stories-
Jump to: