Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Lucky First I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Lucky First

Go down 
+4
Bernardo
Cornishman
JeffR
DickO
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:35 am

Well it finally happened. Was headed into our little village this afternoon and was going too fast when I went into a little set of "S" curves. Got the first righthand half ok but was too close to the sand and gravel on the edge of the road (chip and seal type) and was afraid to lean it over to the left any more. So instead, I straightened it up, when down over a small embankment and plowed into a pool of water at the edge of a brome grass field. Went off and down after about 10 feet of 6 inch deep water.

Embarrassed? You bet. Hurt? No; just my pride. Didn't take much to get the bike back on its' wheels(suprisingly) but was afraid when it wouldn't start right off; thought maybe it was too soaked with water (yes, it was completely soaked, including me and grass was sticking out everywhere on the right side. Anyway, I saw the kill switch was in the off position so turned it on and it fired right up. A couple of cars stopped to check on me and a fella helped me get it headed out of the field and back up on the highway and headed home again.

Long story short... I was just going too fast to make those curves. Never again though. I do learn real fast. I was really lucky this time to have a cushy spot that I wound up in. No damage to the bike at all, except for muddy water and grass. 'Course, I gotta take a garden hose to it now and clean it up again. Glad that's all I have to do. And Yes, I was wearing all the riding gear... it's drying out in the garage.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 1:59 am

Dick,

It's too bad this happened but you came out really good though. No injuries or damage. I bet it was a bit scary. I have come close when going around a corner. I'm glad all is well after this. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 2:17 am

A very lucky escape Dick, it could have been so much worse. When I took a corner too fast back in the 80s I tangled with a stone hedge.
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 6:23 am

Hi Dick,

Hey, glad to read you are OK, and the scoot too.....

Of course you realize that from now on you will be known here as

"Von DickO, the U-boat commander", or maybe just "The U-Boat Commander" for short

Razz

Seriously, glad you are well!!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 7:59 am

Hello U-Boat Commander... where is an "S Curve" located in Kansas. I was born there and taught school there one year. I never saw a curve, period. When I was last there in 1967, there was NO speed limit. I think it was "whatever was safe for conditions" or something like that. If you didn't have an accident, you were not stopped for speeding. But, if you ran off the road down over a small embankment and plowed into a pool of water at the edge of a brome grass field. Went off and down after about 10 feet of 6 inch deep water. You would get a ticket. I am happy that I never did that.

Glad you are safe.
Gary
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 10:24 am

DickO,

Glad to hear you’re OK. This sort of thing has happened to me in my 50 years of riding.

Some times it seems like a warning shot from our maker to let use know we are tempting our hand a little too much. Pretty darn heavy duty lesson to make a point.

Takes me a while to stop shaking after a thing like that. What a Face

DennisB :D
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 5:18 pm

DickO
Glad you are ok. I happen to like Kansas, course I was raised in the Tulsa, Oologah, Claremore Oklahoma area which was not to far from the border. Visited relstives in Chanute and Cherryville up 169 is still a fond memory. Worked in Coffeyville for a week last year. Those folks were hit with a lot of water as the town was pretty much flooded. Sounds like your Swing faired a bit better. Take care..Dick
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 12:33 am

Thanks everyone,
And yes Gary, there are a 'couple' of curves here in this northeastern part of Kansas. Might be the only ones but I found'm Smile . The next time I take my sub (thanks Bernardo), I mean bike, through there it won't be going near as fast. Was really glad the landing surface was water and grass instead of something like a stone fence, which we have some of those here too. A warning shot from our maker is a darn good way to put it Dennis. As I said before, I've learned my lesson well. Thanks again all.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 12:55 am

DickO wrote:
Thanks everyone,
And yes Gary, there are a 'couple' of curves here in this northeastern part of Kansas. Might be the only ones but I found'm Smile . The next time I take my sub (thanks Bernardo)

Kinda sounds like an old Beatles song :ROTF:

We all live on our Honda Silver Wing, Honda Silver Wing .... 🍺
:yoyo:
Back to top Go down
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2008-12-25

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 6:52 am

Hey sounds familar!!

You scoot wouldn't happen to be yellow would it?!! :D
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:05 pm

Hey Dennis... it just came to me. A new device for you to come up with. How about some kind of flotation device. Something that deploys automatically when our scoots encounter wet brome grass or something. No scooter should go down in 6" water. You can come up with a fix for that. Now the concrete walls... that is another story for another forum. BTW... I have more than 6" of water standing in my yard today. It is coming big time monsoon rains here. Pond is out of banks.
Gary
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Hey Gary,

Hide the scooter keys!!!

Those big catfish you have in your pond just might want to take a ride if the water gets to high. Don't let'em... they never refill the tank with gas after they use it and they leave the seat in bad shape to.

DennisB
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Oh No Embarassed Exclamation This just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse, and... :ROTF:
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Having a little fun   Lucky First I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 8:24 pm

I love this forum. Of course it helps to be old and on medication....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lucky First Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lucky First   Lucky First I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lucky First
Page 1 of 1