Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My Wing Won't Start

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-04-27

My Wing Won't Start Empty
PostSubject: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Well I came back to work from a Dr. Appointment and with 2 hours remaining in my work day I worked and came back out to leave. When I turned on my ignition I noticed my headlight didn't light up like normal. I park in a covered garage so I can always tell my headlight is lit when I start my scoot. So I turned the ignition and made sure the stand was up tucked away, clicked the red button and pressed the started to fire her up and nothing. Turn signals lit, horn sounded, brake lights came on when depressing the brakes but not headlight or starter crank. I pulled the battery and got a ride home. I took the battery in for a test and it was fully charged and working fine. My best guess is that something came loose or perhaps it might be a fuse. It might be related to the side stand but I don't think that would prevent the headlight from coming on. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm not sure if it affects the headlight or not, but check the kill switch on the right handlebar. If it is off, the bike will not crank. If it is on, you might want to switch it back and forth a few times in case there is a bit of corrosion on it, then try it. small moped
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:36 pm

I've definitely fiddled with the kill switch quite a bit. I don't think it has anything to do with the headlight so I need to find that link and that will likely be where I find the problem.

Thanks,
Scott
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:42 pm

OK so the guy at the dealership told me it could be the main fuse since the headlight is not coming on so I need to figure out if that fuse is in line with the starter and comes off of the battery terminal wire or if it resides under the seat with all of the other fuses. I am sure someone might have a manual that could possibly provide me with that info? It would be much appreciated. That would certainly be a quick and easy fix, as well as cheap if that is the problem.

Thanks,
Scott
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm

Carefully check your starter switch ... there have been some reports on corrosion or needing lubrication. Work the the starter switch without the battery or ignition and recheck.

The lights will shut shutoff when you slightly depress the starter switch. If the start switch does not fully release then it could leave the lights off.
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:11 pm

Might you suggest WD-40 in that area and then depressing it several times to work the lubricant into the area?

I'm in Arizona so my wing doesn't see much weather besides dry hot. I did get caught in a storm last week though now that I think about it.

I will try anything so thank you for the suggestions. I did find that my cooling fan fuse was blown this whole time and I never even thought to look at the fuse because my wing only heated up when I was idling for long periods of time with no air flowing over the radiator. At least I got that patched up now.

What's not good for me is I don't have a trailer and my wing is stuck in my work parking garage so I kind of need to get it out as quickly as possible and goaz.com is wanting to charge $50 just to come 3/4 of a mile to pick up the bike that they are going to be working on anyway to replace my rear brake rotor and pads. They also charge $85 hr
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:13 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Carefully check your starter switch ... there have been some reports on corrosion or needing lubrication. Work the the starter switch without the battery or ignition and recheck.

The lights will shut shutoff when you slightly depress the starter switch. If the start switch does not fully release then it could leave the lights off.

If the switch is the problem would it just make the headlight turn off during the course of depressing it? Because all other lights and horn work just fine when the key is turned in the on position. The only issue is headlight off and no starter right now. I would sure love for this to be a simple fuse or issue with the button that is easily fixed.

Thanks,
Scott
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 2:35 pm

Just a quick report back on the start switch. I have played with that switch like crazy and the bike is behaving as if the side stand is down or as if the kill switch is engaged in the off position to stop the vehicle and keep it from starting. None of those would explain the headlight not coming on though. I checked all fuses is the fuse boxes under the seat and the Main 30A B fuse is just fine. When I pulled the panel off on the left side I did not see an inline fuse coming from either the ground or power cable. I don't have time to really dig in while I am hear at work so I'm hoping to hear that this problem has arisen and been solved by someone else. I've never had any issues with the vehicle running perfectly.
Back to top Go down
jobo2mi
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
jobo2mi

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2011-06-06

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Sounds like what happens to mine once in awhile .... for no apparent reason .... darn thing won't start, fuses checked, kill switch on/off several times, side stand down, then up, everything works but starter! AARRRGGHHH!!! I fiddle with the handlebar on the ignition side and eventually he starts up and no problems for awhile .... until it happens again!!! It is irritating as hell, especially since there's no apparent reason for it!! I don't know what, if anything, I do that makes it fire back up, but it sure makes me nervous to ride it anywhere!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.josbooks4kids.com
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:04 pm

jobo2mi wrote:
Sounds like what happens to mine once in awhile .... for no apparent reason .... darn thing won't start, fuses checked, kill switch on/off several times, side stand down, then up, everything works but starter! AARRRGGHHH!!! I fiddle with the handlebar on the ignition side and eventually he starts up and no problems for awhile .... until it happens again!!! It is irritating as hell, especially since there's no apparent reason for it!! I don't know what, if anything, I do that makes it fire back up, but it sure makes me nervous to ride it anywhere!!!

Did you ever notice if your headlight fails to turn on while you are unable to get the starter to fire? That might be unique to my issue but I will give it a further tear down tonight to look at everything I can possibly think of before I pay $50 for the mechanic to come get it and then another $85 per hour to fix that problem and get to my rear brake rotor and pads.
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:30 pm

I took the battery out and directly to Oreilly Auto Parts which bought out checker and Kragen here in the US and they used a volt meter and battery tester on the battery and were able to tell me it was functioning like a brand new battery with a full charge on it. Everything works except the starter and headlight. Brake lights, running lights, turn signals, indicator lamps and horn. All connections have been tightened down and all fuses that I can easily get to have been checked and checked out just fine with my cooling fan being the lone exception.

I don't even have a dim headlight or the sound of the starter getting any voltage to attempt turning the motor over. I have never had any issue with battery drain from the seat being left ajar or any other starting problems at all unless I forgot to click the kill switch to the on position or forgot to kick the side stand up out of the way. I apply the brake and make sure everything else is properly set. When I click the kill switch over I hear the sound of the bike preparing for a start and see the Fi indicator come on with the V belt indicator. The Fi light goes off after a couple of seconds and all of the driving lights remain on without the headlight. It's strange. I'm not completely mechanically challenged so I checked everything I could here at work with my tools. I might have to have a real mechanic do a full electrical system check if I cannot find a bad fuse inline from the battery cables.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 7:40 pm

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Terry, I have found that alot of good people on this forum think the easy to find and look at MAIN 30 amp fuse under the left cover is the in-use fuse. What they need to realize is the IN-USE fuse is under a black rubber boot and can't be seen unless the black rubber boot is removed. The SPARE 30 amp fuse is just below it.
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Dennis - Thanks for the link. I did see a boot cover over a plug coming off of the battery main power wires and I was attempting to loosen and pull that apart to take a look but I just ran short on time having been working on my scoot outside of work in the parking garage during my lunch half hour. I'll check the link and follow this through much more comprehensively this evening and I am just going to bet that is where I will find my problem. I was riding it without issue and just had it sitting for 2 hours or so before my next ride and I would think if that fuse blew during my ride I would've been dead immediately but maybe the headlight went out and I didn't notice it when I pulled into the garage and this is the whole issue. Perhaps I will find and exposed wire or something I can fix to prevent a future electrical issue. Electrical problems are the worst possible headache for any vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Wing Won't Start   My Wing Won't Start I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Wing Won't Start
Page 1 of 1