Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Why does SW have a trailing front axle?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Why does SW have a trailing front axle? Empty
PostSubject: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:29 am

I am not an expert on motorcycle frame/suspension geometry or the cause and effect of changes to rake and trail.

But esthetically speaking, I wonder why the SW has a front axle located behind the fork legs vs. most motorcycles/scooter/bicycles which have leading front axles or axles mounted at the tips of the fork legs such as Burgmans?

I have a hard time getting past the appearance of the front fork on my scooter with the trailing front axle
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:52 am

The moment of inertia is raised up further on the fork leg. And wheelbase has a huge effect on the longitudinal stability of the frame system.

Wow, check out the big brain on Tagg!
Back to top Go down
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 12:58 am

So you are saying that Honda made the frame too long and had to place the axle behind the fork leg in order to compensate?

LOL
Back to top Go down
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:01 am

Irregardless of the front fender as well as the front brake caliper mounting, what would be the effect of swapping the left/right fork legs and placing the axle in a leading position?
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:15 am

IDwingit wrote:
So you are saying that Honda made the frame too long and had to place the axle behind the fork leg in order to compensate?

LOL

Not at all! The greater the distance behind the rake line that the axle centerline is the better, however it is a exponentially diminishing effect.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 1:18 am

IDwingit wrote:
Irregardless of the front fender as well as the front brake caliper mounting, what would be the effect of swapping the left/right fork legs and placing the axle in a leading position?

You would be increasing the lean angle in turns, making scrubbing your front end out very much more of a likelihood.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 28, 2011 8:02 am

They put it where it works for the design. Who cares how is looks? Function is the deal if you ride a lot and SilverWing Suspension as scooter works well.

Forks= we have tele as SilverWing and most motorcycles today. Leading link=early honda step thru cubs, NSU MAX and Fox, others Trailing Link=Indians with leaf spring, Vespa.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why does SW have a trailing front axle?   Why does SW have a trailing front axle? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why does SW have a trailing front axle?
Page 1 of 1