Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clutch stuff

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Okay, I see you guys talking about variator tools etc. Are you talking about the tool to hold the outside sheve ? I am not used to fixed and moveable sheve clutches. I am familiar with chains and sprokets. The weights you guys talk about, are they the roollers in the face? If lighter or heavier, what is the advantage, disadvantage? What is the stock weight? I hear alot about 26G. My scoot just crossed 600 miles and is going in Mon. for service. So far I am not at all disappointed in performance, just a little annoyed at the front suspension. My Hyper=Pro springs will be here Fri. Hope they help.
Scooter riding is fun!! Even my Ducati buddies get it. I don't run with a performance crowd anymore and I have only lived "back" in Idaho for 3 years, so I don't have to give a **** about what people think etc. Love it! Having more fun now on the Swing than I have had on a motorcycle in a long time. cheers

Bob
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:31 am

The transmission in a scooter (SW included) operates a lot like a mountain bike. A MB will have three chainrings in front (small, med and large) and eight to ten sprockets in the back (large to small). Small chainring/large sprocket gives the best take off or hill climbing ability. Large chainring/small sprocket keeps the RPMs low for cruising. The weights control the shifting of the transmission on the Silverwing.

Lighter weights keep the belt from climbing up the face of the variator as quickly. This keep the front "sprocket" smaller, allowing faster acceleration.

Heavier weights cause the belt to climb faster, slowing acceleration. Some feel it will help gas mileage. Lighter weights will probably hurt mpg.

The weights are either "rollers", "sliders" or "pins".

Rollers are round weights that are thrown outwards as RPMs climb. In theory they roll outwards. In reality, they tend to slide outwards, which causes wear and creates flat spots and diminished performance.

Sliders are an attempt to solve the flat spot issue. They start life flat, and slide outwards. Their shape allows them to push the two halves of the variator together a little closer, making the belt ride slightly higher and increasing top speed. Their lighter weight usually help acceleration too. Sliders are made by Dr Pulley. Dr Pulley is currently moving from Taiwan to Germany. Buggypartsnw.com sell their products in the USA.

Pins only come with a J Costa variator and will ONLY work with the J Costa variator. A JC provides much improved acceleration and is generally smoother than stock. It also tends to wear out. Don't expect 30,000 miles out of it. I still like my JC and will use it until its trash.

Youtube will have videos demonstrating sliders and the J Costa variator.

HyperPro springs will improve handling at the cost of some comfort. I am still happy with mine.

Hope you're enjoying your new ride. Glad that your MC friends appreciate it also. They will probably appreciate it even more when you get caught in a sudden downpour and stay mostly dry.
Back to top Go down
IDwingit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-07-15

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 12:50 am

I, like Bob, would like to know what the stock rollers weigh in grams. The service manual does not state.

Kind of like a baseline so that we can make a decision in which way we may want to go , from stock, if we were so inclined as to replace the rollers with sliders.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:12 am

The stock Rollers are 28 gm.

You can change to the same weight Dr Pulley Sliding Weights (Sliders) and still retain the 'economy' of the OEM Rollers and yet also get a boost in performance.

Several members here have changed to 26 gm Sliders and are very happy with them.

AFAIK the Sliders have much less tendency to wear out than the OEM rollers
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2011 10:19 am

buddy, thanks for the explanation. I think I get it now. That was a big help.

Bob
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 11:07 am

Glad it could help.

RE: weight of stock rollers, I have also seen it listed as 28 gram.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Clutch stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Clutch stuff   Clutch stuff I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clutch stuff
Page 1 of 1