Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Picked up a New Honda

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Picked up a New Honda Empty
PostSubject: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Hello everyone. While I am awaiting a new tire and changing out my belt and roller weights with Dr Pully 24G I decided I was going to pick up another bike to teach my Fiance how to ride. Of course, I chose a bike that I felt she could handle that I would also like and that we would not want to get rid of. After long nights of research I decided upon the VF750 Magna. Since I don't care about having a Harley I felt the Magna offered everything that I would want in a bike along with being manageable for my 5' 6" 125lb lady. As it turns out the bike is probably faster than any other cruiser besides a Vmax on the road regardless of engine size. The good thing is that this power is manageable with RPM much like my old vtec Civic Si and Prelude. This bike has definitely cured my need for speed so that I can just appreciate the Silverwing so much more than before I bought the Magna. I had to drive out to San Diego to pick up the used cruiser and being that I had never ridden a motorcycle before I learned by driving back the 6 hours to Phoenix. The Silverwing feels like a cheap toy in comparison because of all of the plastic and the way it handles bumps and pot holes but the wind protection and ease of driving made me really wish I was driving my scooter those 400 miles and while I love the Magna, I cannot wait to get these maintenance items fixed and get back on the Silverwing for my daily commutes until I get a big fairing/windshield and a much more comfy seat. I was wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with the Magna 750 that they could share and what everyone thinks about having one of these bikes in their stable.

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 4:45 pm

The Magna 750 has been a Honda staple for years. It is solid, dependable and everyone I have talked to both current and former owners really liked them. A good windscreen is a must and there is alot of accessories for farkling. Rolling Eyes

Bob
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Well the bike is certainly quite naked and I would love to get one of these http://rifle.com/Cruise%20Tour%20Fairing%20Honda%20Magna%20%28%2794-%2703%29-P2386.aspx

I think it would add a great look to the bike and then I need to get a Mustang Wide regal seat because we are planning some serious touring on both bikes once the weather starts to cool here in the southwest!

Glad to hear the Magna is everything I heard it was before buying it. I happened to get mine for $1900 and with only 28,000 miles on the clock. Coming from San Diego it has a little superficial rust on some replaceable parts, including the exhaust but no leaks of any kind and it has a $650 custom paint scheme of deep purple with pearl flames on the tank, just had $800 in carb work and brand new Dunlop tires front and rear. I felt that I got a smokin deal. The bike is scary fast from 6,000 to 9,700 RPM
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 pm

They're top heavy, handle poorly, but go like a bat out of hell.

There are some oiling and cam lobe pitting issues.

Valves are a bit tricky to adjust, but no shims, just screw and jam nut adjustment.

Everything you want to know about it is here:

http://www.v4hondabbs.com/index.php?act=idx

and here:

http://www.sabmag.org/

Last edited by bigbird on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 6:36 pm

It sounds like you got the bike for the cost of the work recently done on it and the new tires. applause
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:03 pm

I like it a lot actually and I have about 1,000 miles from my ride back from San Diego plus the nice ride across 89a from Wickenburg to Prescott. I think the 80's models might have been top heavy but not so much the 3rd generation Magnas. Mine in particular feels lighter and less top heavy than my Silverwing and their weight is nearly identical. I have noticed some idle issues and a slight miss on two of the cylinders so might need some more carb work done and one I have the Vance & Hines exhaust plus the Dave Dodge jet kit I'll get all that done with the valve adjustment. This is definitely a cure for the acceleration deficit I experience on the Silverwing so I can occasionally just take this out and get all that out of my system. Thanks for the insight and links folks. All that will be helpful. If I can figure out how to post picks from my prescott trip I will put them up here from my windows phone. We met a couple riding an HD night train so I have pretty cool pictures of their bike too.
Back to top Go down
ThePPH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:06 pm

bigbird wrote:
They're top heavy, handle poorly, but go like a bat out of hell. My Magna took some really tight curves that call for 20 MPH at over 35 MPH and felt very confident so I think you might be referring to those 80's V45 models. I have heard a lot of folks say great things about the handling of the 3rd gen magnas. Obviously I am new to motorcycles so I have nothing to compare it to besides the wing.

There are some oiling and cam lobe pitting issues.

Valves are a bit tricky to adjust, but no shims, just screw and jam nut adjustment.

Everything you want to know about it is here:

http://www.v4hondabbs.com/index.php?act=idx

and here:

http://www.sabmag.org/
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Sorry, I just realized from the topic title that yours is a 1995. I believe that the cam and oiling problems were fixed by then, as well as the later models having a new frame.

Your idling problems may require a re-look at the jetting. When using the
V & H pipes, the only real way to get the jetting spot-on is to use a dyno in conjunction with reading the plugs. That requires an expert. Like you say, all the specs must be within factory tolerances before beginning dyno tuning. The spark plug gap and valve clearances need to be checked first. Have fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Picked up a New Honda   Picked up a New Honda I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Picked up a New Honda
Page 1 of 1