Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing Performance Modifications..

Go down 
+8
dspevack
"Hi Yo"
bob wells
honda_silver
Meldrew
sharker
bigbird
XRacer
12 posters
AuthorMessage
XRacer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Silverwing Performance Modifications.. Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 9:14 pm

I thought that I would share some of my opinions; about results that I have achieved by modifying motorcycles, and to a lesser degree, my Silverwing.
I put an aftermarket exhaust systen on my VMax....not much [if any] performance increase, and Way Too Loud! Changed it back to stock.
On my Suzuki Bandit 1200, no noticable performance improvement; and was "irritating" at high cruising speed...changed it back to stock. [Yes, I did do a plug check, on both bikes=neither breathed any better enough to need a jet change.
After changing the stock variator [on my Silverwing] to the J.Costa: even though I was expecting a "noticable" change, the results were even better! Much Better! Satisfactory Now.
I think that the biggest improvement from exchanging the factory muffler for an aftermarket muffler, would probably be the loss of weight. The stock muffler IS Very Heavy.
Note: I have never experienced an aftermarket muffler that had better performance and was as quiet as a stock muffler.....mostly for "looks" and noise.
Have a Nice Day!
Gerald
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Agree totally Gerald.

Where did you come from?
Better yet, where are you going?
Back to top Go down
XRacer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Alabama/USMC/AMA/4 trips to China...   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 11:44 am

bigbird wrote:
Agree totally Gerald.

Where did you come from?
Better yet, where are you going?

Bigbird; you have asked two questions that I would have to write a book size post about, and I don't think that I would be allowed to use up so much space..LOL
Since 1960, I have had at Least 100 motorcycles; very few were kept "stock" before sold. Some that were modified:mildly modified Suzuki 500 twin 2stroke [traded triumph 650 in on that one] Almost Total Modified Atlas and Commando Norton's[including porting/valve/guides/lifters/pistons/rods/oil pump/Hawasaki 3 cyl. 500/750 note: Heavily modified the 750 2stroke [5 times!] Faster, Then, than an '85 VMax was when new. [in 1971]
Future? I hope to just stay: Healthy/Not on food stamps/any kind of 'relief"...and to Really "Write" a Book...as in RAHeinlein andClarke/ect. Wish me Luck! Later, Gerald
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Gerald:

If you ever put that book on Amazon, I'll be sure to order it. It sounds like VERY interesting reading, especially the tech stuff.

As a quick aside, I had a friend who had a Commando with a Dunstall kit. It was 900+ cc's as I remember. My friend weighed about 130 lbs soaking wet. He could not start his Norton unless the gods were looking down on him favourably, what with the Lucas electrics, higher compression, and crappy carbs (can't remember if they were Amals or Webers). Regardless, he phoned me up to come over and kick it over for him on those bad days.

Great stories.
Welcome to the board.
Terry
Back to top Go down
sharker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sharker

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-05-10

PostSubject: performance improvements are relative   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 11:26 am

I had a Kawasaki Concourse and was only able to use full throttle when passing or for a few brief seconds of play racing and never in first gear. There would have been no reason to do performance mods to increase the 108 or so BHP.
Now with my Silverwing's 37 BHP I have great fun cranking on full throttle often. So it's easy to feel the performance increase from my Leo Vince, K&N and Techlusion EFI module. The increase is notable especially when carrying a passenger.
Steve - Kingston ON
Back to top Go down
XRacer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Modifications/Nortons/Silverwings   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Hmmmm....If the guy had a hard time kickstarting a modified Norton; THAT was caused by:High compression With a stock or near stock camshaft. My Nortons had amal carbs. In my earlier post, I neglected to add what was Probably the largest contributor to the Higher [Much Higher!] Horsepower: The "Experimental" camshaft that I ordered from Crane Cams. [in Florida?] The overlap timing, and the lift was so much more than stock, that I had to shorten the brass valve guides=not hard to start at all. [8,000 RPM With Reliability, On a long stroke Norton!] Actually, a few times went to 8,200...no problem.
To the Silverwing rider that previously rode a Kawasaki touring bike: Regardless of the other "Performance" mods; In my opinion, just adding a J.Costa Variator would add More performance, than the other 3 mods, alone. Even though you do not appear to be very performance oriented, extra power is sometimes Very useful. [and Safer..] Regards, Gerald
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 pm

sharker wrote:
Now with my Silverwing's 37 BHP I have great fun cranking on full throttle often. So it's easy to feel the performance increase from my Leo Vince, K&N and Techlusion EFI module. The increase is notable especially when carrying a passenger.
Steve - Kingston ON

37 BHP ? I was under the impression the Silver Wing has 50 BHP to the 650 Burgman's 55 BHP. I don't think I'll be putting any performance mods on my Silver Wing, it can cruise effortlessly two up on German autobahns, and still overtake vehicles without having the throttle against the stop. After years of reading about the poor fuel economy of the SW, I've had a few 160+ miles on the trip meter with one bar still showing on the fuel gauge before reserve, and that's with a passenger, a loaded top case and saddlebags, and mainly cruising on motorways.

Meldrew

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I don't think I'll be putting any performance mods on my Silver Wing,

I am contemplating installing this on my Swing:

http://www.leovince.com/en/catalog-honda/terminale_lv_one_omologato_evo_ii_passaggio_standard_sw_t_600_i_e_2011/14577

It's not a complete exhaust system, only a slip-on.

I like the idea of getting rid of the heavy, horrible looking stock muffler. The exhaust sound change could be a bonus or a PITA, I'm not sure yet.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:43 pm

I've only ever bought replacement mufflers/silencers once, and that was for a BMW R100/7 back in the late 70's when the stock ones rusted through. Rust and accident damage would be the only reasons I'd replace an exhaust system or silencer. Leave it alone or put an Yoshimura decal on the heat shield, we won't tell! Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
XRacer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Note: If anyone gets tired of me rambling on about my motorcycle past; please, just say so.
I have thought of a comparison of my felt difference, of my stock Silverwing vs with the J.Costa... [no..I'm not affiliated with J.Costa; though, I wish I was!] lol
It was either the 4th or 5th time that I modified my Kawasake 3 cyl. two stroke bike: My riding buddy [neighborhood friend] and I used to: on a back country road with about a one mile straightaway..no traffic in sight..we would start as if at the Dragstrip; side by side [he was riding a modified Suzuki three cylinder two stroke [water cooled, my Kawasaki=air cooled] and see which bike was faster to the bridge about one mile ahead..
looks as if I am running out of space...to be continued..
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Meldrew wrote:
37 BHP ? I was under the impression the Silver Wing has 50 BHP to the 650 Burgman's 55 BHP.

As I recall the engine has 50 BHP ... the rear wheel measure by dynometer was 37 BHP stock.
Back to top Go down
bob wells
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bob wells

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Had a Leo Vince slip on on my '07 VFR 800. Sound was mellow without being ridiculous. Biggest deal was the weight saving.

Bob
Back to top Go down
XRacer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 3:03 pm

Continued: After my third modification; our bikes were just about even, on that straightaway backroad....but; after more modifications, my Kawasaki just wouldn't "get on the cam" [a 4-stroke term, meaning, that "It" was taking too long to rev-up between gear changes...so he out ran me, bad! After thinking about the reason...stock Kawa redlined at 7,000...with the short stroke of the motor, I calculated that it should easily go to 10,000 rpm.....so, I geared it Down=That Did It!! After that My bike Easily outran his...so much so, that He just "Had" to ride it...to see for himself how it felt.
And THAT difference, same type of difference, is similar to a stock variator compared to a J.Costa variator equipped Silverwing.
Have a Nice Day! Gerald
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 3:07 pm

bob wells wrote:
Had a Leo Vince slip on on my '07 VFR 800. Sound was mellow without being ridiculous. Biggest deal was the weight saving.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.
Now if someone has one of these on a Swing, that feedback would be even better. Lots of guys have the complete exhaust on a Swing, but not the slip-on as yet.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Silverwing Performance Modifications.. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 3:41 pm

[quote="XRacer"]Note: If anyone gets tired of me rambling on about my motorcycle past; please, just say so. SO! Just kidding. I'm more jealous of all your experience. I like the way you compare your "motorcycle" modifications and relate them to the silverwing. Ramble on Gerald, ramble on. motorcycle
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:26 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Meldrew wrote:
37 BHP ? I was under the impression the Silver Wing has 50 BHP to the 650 Burgman's 55 BHP.

As I recall the engine has 50 BHP ... the rear wheel measure by dynometer was 37 BHP stock.

If that's the case I'm happy enough with the 37 BHP stock Silver Wing, and if I wasn't I'd be riding something else.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Meldrew wrote:

If that's the case I'm happy enough with the 37 BHP stock Silver Wing, and if I wasn't I'd be riding something else.

Hmmm, like what?

Can't post my answer. I'd be banned forever.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 5:51 pm

My mods brought that up to almost 43hp. (37.04 to 42.91)
5.87 additional horsepower equates to a 15.9% improvement.
Nothing to sneeze at.
Back to top Go down
XRacer
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 pm

Well, Mr. dspevack; with almost 16% improvement in HP, you should be able to Definitely "feel" the difference....as I read long ago, that it usually takes 10% [or more] to be able to feel the difference. [seat-of the-pants accelleration] That is quite "Good", without internal engine modifications, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 5:59 pm

I actually like riding my machine. Can't be bothered having it apart in the garage when it could be on the road.

If I actually wanted a fast bike I would probably buy a Suzi Hyabusa and kill myself exploring it's performance envelope.

Give me stock, upright and on the road.

HP = brown sauce! Rolling Eyes Probably have to be a Brit for that one!!! Sorry! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi All,

I'll kinda' have to go along with "Waspie" on this subject...
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 7:47 pm

Me Too! small moped
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:20 pm

We could put xracer to work modifying our Swings. You can start with mine
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:34 pm

I sometimes carry an travel umbrella, I'm going to start telling people it's a drogue parachute instead!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I sometimes carry an travel umbrella, I'm going to start telling people it's a drogue parachute instead!

See if you can find some of those warning triangles you get on fast jets!

"Stand clear explosive device" - " Drogue may deploy without warning" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Performance Modifications..   Silverwing Performance Modifications.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing Performance Modifications..
Page 1 of 1