Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dilemma Time

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm

The government over here in the UK is thinning out it's admin folk, (me).

They had a scheme whereby you could elect for Voluntary Early Release. Being in the right age group to maximise the financial package I filled in the paper work and put myself forward. Knowing that if successful I wouldn't have to take it.

Today was the day and out of the six of in our department I am the only one to be accepted. (The others did want to go too - fate works in mysterious ways.)

My dilemma is that I really don't want it. The primary aim was to receive an accurate pension forecast prior to actual retirement in six years time.

Now I have been selected I am having serious thoughts about what to do. I'll have to wait until I actually see the ££'s but I'm in a 'do I' - 'don't I' phase. Another element is my post is being reduced from nine down to five supervisors and we all have to apply for our own jobs. This is occurring right now so the pressure is on to decide on what and where I want to be this time next year.

Another thing, well money again, my earning potential over six years is massively more than the retirement package. I would have to work but living in a seasonal work area and being an old fart getting another job is easier said than done.

Still, I have a job, next to no mortgage so really I have all the cards stacked in my favour. Decisions!!!!! Evil or Very Mad

Sorry to prattle on, had to get it off my chest. clown
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Tough decision. Consider this... what happens if you don't take it, and you are not one of the 5 retained as a supervisor? ( I can hear someone saying 'he had a way out, and didn't take it, so don't feel sorry for him'). I don't expect an answer... just think about it. I assume you have a bit of time to consider your actions, so take it, sleep on it, and your answer will come. scratch

Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 6:20 pm

GaryL wrote:
Tough decision. Consider this... what happens if you don't take it, and you are not one of the 5 retained as a supervisor? scratch

Good Luck!

Gary I do hold a good hand of cards.

If I don't keep a supervisors job I shift to the shop floor, keep my salary, (supervisors,) and simply relinquish my supervisory status.

So in a way I can't lose. The job is terrible, but I promised my dear wife that when I stopped flying in the military I would do anything that would stop me traveling and get me home every day. This crap job allows me to do just that.
Back to top Go down
GaryL
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
GaryL

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2010-07-09

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Glad to hear that you have a solid position to base your actions on. It's still going to be a tough decision, though.

Again... Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks Gary, I think I have a few months grace yet.
Back to top Go down
Acquit
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Acquit

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 5:17 am

Waspie wrote:
I would have to work but living in a seasonal work area and being an old fart getting another job is easier said than done.

Never underestimate the scope of age discrimination. I have a JD, an MBA and a MA in Psychology 18 years as a lawyer and 12 as a psychologist. I stayed home for a few years while my wife finished her gradudate degree. When I went back to the workforce looking for a job I can't tell you how many interviews I went to where - as soon as they saw the grey hair - I knew it was over.

I job is a good thing to have in this economic climate.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 3:12 pm

Doug,

I think the key factor here is that YOU were evidently NOT thinking about retiring yet. Just because THEY brought the subject up does NOT mean that you have to change your mind about retiring.

I have been a stockbroker since 1986. I see the same thought process at work among clients when the stock market declines - they think that they have to do something, or react, to the decline. They're still decades from retirement, so nothing has really changed (you don't have to change your mind just because they gave you an offer).

Those last couple of years of working are often key to having a comfortable retirement for two reasons:
- those are several more years to save money, and
- those are several more years that you are not spending your savings.

Stay with it a little longer.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Buddy I agree with you. The cash incentive to go is meagre compared to the earning potential in the six years to when I planned to retire.

Added to the equation is that six years of earning as you stated will enhance the actual pension at 65 by nearly 25%, don't know why it's what the pension forecast shows.

The pension is worth more to me than ££ or $$'s in that, historically my side of the family have lived to ripe old ages. Both parents still alive, one in their 90's the other rapidly approaching 90.

Certainly lots to think about.

Summed up; short term gain or long term stability.
Back to top Go down
walmac
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
walmac

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Doug
Can fully sympathise with your dilema.
I took the plunge 10 years ago opting for voluntary redundacy.
Do I regret it,overall its a big NO,but I must admit there have been odd time when I have missed the whole work ethic ie the technical side and the friendships involved in the workplace.
The best advice I can give you is to do whats best for YOU and your family.
I am sure you will resolve it and once decided get on with life.

Best of luck

Wal
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dilemma Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dilemma Time   Dilemma Time I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dilemma Time
Page 1 of 1