Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Rear shock longevity
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

V-Belt suppliers

Go down 
+2
john grinsel
mikef
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-20

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm getting a funny noise on acceleration and a burning smell. Never tore into anything drastic yet, but I think I'm going to pull the covers, inspect the belt, clean where it needs it and flush the rear drive oil.

In case I need it (2003 w/6400 miles), I want to get a belt lined up. I checked with Bikebandit and it looks like about $130. It may not need this, because the original owner was a lady, so I'm suspecting the glazed condition, I've read about here. I'm only tearing it apart for my own satisfaction and see how it ticks. Old engineers seem to think like that.

Where do you guys get your belts and what is a fair price? Should I consider getting the pins at the same time?

Thanks, guys
Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 4:07 pm

Having done well over 200,000 miles on rubber band scooters----OEM only.

Walking sucks. I had one broken belt on Helix, near end of belt's service life, came off Freeway after a day of wide open in WV and VA----Gave gas and no go.

In those days Honda would come get you free----had them take to me friend's garage and we put my spare on.

03 I would change when convenient=age.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I bought one here recently.

http://hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_select2.asp?category=SCOOTERS&make=HONDA&year=2003&fveh=3418

Genuine Honda part, not aftermarket supplier.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 am

Ron Ayers Honda has the same belt for 105 and change.
And microfiche of almost every bike created.
Back to top Go down
Croxford
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-02

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 11:19 pm

I agree with what John Grinsel has to say. If you do any research into belt life on virtually any forum you'll find that OEM is the way to go. Belts advertised as 'high performance' or that are bargain priced generally turn out to be neither. Don't be tricked into thinking that only 'special' belts have kevlar, the OEM ones do too.

JC
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks for the answers, guys. I would have thought someone used Gates or NAPA. Honda recommends the OEM for timing belting on my Goldwing, but I use NAPA. $40 compared to $100+. Someone has to be Honda's supplier. I understand that the drive belt takes a heck more abuse than the timing belts, but the worst thing that could happen if a drive belt broke is no power; as opposed to damaging an engine. This bike is used primarily around town, so I may consider using from another fore mentioned supplier, if they are available. Easy enough to monitor belt condition.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 am

It does pay to shop around however. I wonder why a difference of $25 between the Bike Bandit, and the Ron Ayers belt? Same part #, looks like they even use the same microfiche program!

I do wish that there were more of a selection of "stuff" for the silverwing. i would be in heaven if Yoshimura, Brembo, Galfer, ETC: and especially the tire Manufacturers would step up.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

I have the Mitsubishi belt and I haven't had any trouble with this one or the one before. But I change my belts a bit early just because I don't want one to break. I change my tires a bit early too just to avoid any trouble. I buy my belt from www.scootertrap.com and they sell many things for the SWing and other scooters. And Matt is a good guy to deal with too.

I know some say not to use anything but OEM but I have no problems with mine even though I don't quite make it to 16,000 miles, But when I measured them they still had a lot of life left. I would go with what you are comfortable with. If you think the kevlar belts will give you trouble you probably wouldn't want one just for peace of mind.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Croxford
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-07-02

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 9:41 pm

JeffR wrote:
I have the Mitsubishi belt and I haven't had any trouble with this one or the one before.

If you look closely you will see that it is actually a Mitsuboshi belt. They make drive belts for many of the scooter manufacturers including Piaggio/Vespa. I wouldn't doubt that they make belts for Honda and Suzuki as well.

JC
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:46 pm

I contacted Scootertrap and they said they don't carry the belts. Off to some parts houses....
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:00 am

Pulled things apart and everything was fairly clean. The belt measured 1.001" at it's widest part. Cogs look good. There is a rubbing on the top of the inside of the aluminum cover; probably where my noise is coming from at low acceleration. Oil in the rear gear was low....very low.

Acceleration is strong and no slippage. All in all, the belt seemed to be ok, just a bit worn, if I'm interpreting the spec properly. I'll order a new belt, but until I get some slipping going, I'm not inclined to change anything. Only 6500 miles an I hate to think that's the norm.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 pm

I have a new, still-in-the-wrapper, genuine Honda belt in the garage that I bought about two months ago in anticipation of replacing the original in another 2000 miles.

It measures 1.05" wide at the widest part. Honda's measuring process is not the same (please see the manual for an explanation, it's too hard to describe), so the numbers cannot be directly compared.

It has the Honda wrapper on it, but the belt has Mitsuboshi printed on it.

Just in case anyone needs the information, now or in the future.
Back to top Go down
mikef
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mikef

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm

That's good information Philip. I'll have to check that out, because like I said, the measurement didn't seem right.

Cheapest price I've found so far, is here.

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_section_detail.asp
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 am

That is where I got my belt, oil and air filters. Seemed to get the parts to me quick enough for a reasonable price.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

V-Belt suppliers Empty
PostSubject: Re: V-Belt suppliers   V-Belt suppliers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

V-Belt suppliers
Page 1 of 1