Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 2:50 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks

Go down 
+6
"Hi Yo"
damagedude
Gar Gentry
MikeO
skiwoods
DennisB
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Empty
PostSubject: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 am

Safety, a word, a warning.

Being seen and being able to see others. Adding driving lights to the front of your Silverwing couldn’t be easer. Just install the light bar, mount your lights and do a little wiring.

Made of strong 1” (25.4mm) x 1/8” (3mm) thick carbon steel and then coated with gloss black epoxy enamel. New mounting screws and special aluminum spacers (for years 2002 -2007) are included with a few extra things to make your installation look good.

Sure makes a world of difference at night and day.

The standard bar comes with 1/4" dia. light mounting holes. if you need a different size holes or holes in a pattern, please let me know and I will work with you so you'll be happy with this product.

The price of the Light mounting bar is $45.00 USD, $6.50 USD (USPS Priority Mail), International $13.50 (First Class).

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Spots811
Bracket shown with a set of Optronic Burners, Driving Lights Installed
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Spots310
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Dennis, do you have a link for the aftermarket lights to be mounted?
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi Gene, Always good to hear from you. sunny

Optronics Inc.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/driving2-new.html

or

http://www.jcwhitney.com/platinum-burners-55-watt-clear-lens-driving-light-kit/p2023274.jcwx?filterid=j1

or

You can purchase them at Wal-Mart for under $20.00.

P/N QH87CD
Clear Lens Round Chrome Driving Light Kit. Wiring and switch. Box.

Dimensions: 2.4375" W x 2.4375" H x 2.75" D
Materials: Glass lens, chrome finish metal housing, and metal bracket

Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Wiring to my lightbar   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Dennis,

While I am waiting for my lightbar I'm giving thought to the wiring method I should use. I assume that it needs to go back to the battery (with relay). Do you thread the wires using the good old "coathanger pull through technique" or do you remove all necessary panels for more precise routing? I don't care much for the bulky rocker switch that came with the Optronics light kit. Ideas?

Gar
javascript:emoticonp('Rolling Eyes')
Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:40 am

Hi Gar,

Caution - Connect Battery power wire as last step.

I would remove the left rear side panel, left passenger foot rest, and battery cover and run a inline mini fused power line from the + battery terminal. Just forward of the battrey in the battery housing. It has a back hole that has wires running throught it already and it also gives you a great place to hide the fuse holder and a little extra power wire.

Install your relay on the scooters frame and attach your control wires (frame ground and switchable power, rear running light wire works great). Attach your power power out wire and run it toward the fron of the scooter by means of the foot rest frame tubes (at this time, also run your ground wire through the tube). lubracate your two wires if needed.

Note - Left foot frame tube end can be acquired by removing the back screws that hold the left bottom fairing cover and the back half of the left rubber foot mat.

Caution - The inside of the foot rest tubes can be sharp at both ends so insulate your wires from these edges.

Remove the radiator cover so you can get a hold of the wire as it comes out out the tube and install tube insulator.

Note - A good time to install a power outlet in your left glove box is now.

Once your wires have been pushed through the left foot rest tube end, reach inside the front and carefully pull them through and out of the tube.

Note - Give yourself about 3 to 4 feet of wire from the tube end and a patt on the back for doing a good job.

Once you have 3-4 feet of wire coming out the front tube go back to the left side of scooter and hind the main ground lug location under the passenger foot peg location and on the side of the motor (Cant miss it, it has all the other groung wires installed on it). Cut your new ground wire to the stud location and install the proper size ring lug and install on scooters ground stud.

Bring your +12 volt power wire to your relay and install onto the proper wire.

REMEMBER - NO BATTERY HOOKUP YET

Back to the front of the scooter.

Install you light bar and lights.

Run your wires the way you want (I always run my lights ground wire to my ON-OFF switch).

Once your happy with your wires, install the fused hot wire to the battery and install a 15amp fuse.

Test lights before you install all the removed scooter panels.

Happy riding.

Last edited by DennisB on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gar Gentry
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Gar Gentry

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks Dennis,

Your instructions will be very helpful!
Looking forward to this project.

Gar
Back to top Go down
http://gentry.hugh@gmail.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 am

Just some helpful stuff.

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Spot_l10

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Power_10

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Hole_l10
Back to top Go down
damagedude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm

DennisB wrote:
Safety, a word, a warning.

Being seen and being able to see others. Adding driving lights to the front of your Silverwing couldn’t be easer. Just install the light bar, mount your lights and do a little wiring.

Made of strong 1” (25.4mm) x 1/8” (3mm) thick carbon steel and then coated with gloss black epoxy enamel. New mounting screws and special aluminum spacers (for years 2002 -2007) are included with a few extra things to make your installation look good.

Sure makes a world of difference at night and day.

The standard bar comes with 1/4" dia. light mounting holes. if you need a different size holes or holes in a pattern, please let me know and I will work with you so you'll be happy with this product.

The price of the Light mounting bar is $45.00 USD, $6.50 USD (USPS Priority Mail), International $13.50 (First Class).

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Spots811
Bracket shown with a set of Optronic Burners, Driving Lights Installed
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks Spots310
Back to top Go down
damagedude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Dennis I am newly into owning a swing. but have owned many cycles since I was 16.my wife has also bought a swing 05 and 06 respectively. I am interested purchasing a light bar . also new to the form and not sure if I am doing this correctly ?Keep the rubber side down and please return my e mail.Johnmarilyn63 @bell.net
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Welcome Damagedude. New to the forum and you've gone straight to Dennis's Shop. That shows how smart you are. I have seen his work and it is top notch and from others comments his service and advice are just as good, Glad to have you aboard.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi John, I just sent you an email.
Back to top Go down
damagedude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Back at you Dennis Marilyn and I received your e-mail and I looked over the 5 pages . looks ok to me .I believe it's up to me to return your e-mail with ? thanks Damagedude John    Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 pm

:c cheers heers:
DennisB wrote:
Hi John, I just sent you an email.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Dennis,

Glad to hear you are remaining active in the forum. (Though I'm new here, add my thanks for all the work you've done as Moderator and for your continued 'techie' assistance.)

I'm trying to wire the lights installed on the Lightbar - but I'm really confused. (mechanics/electro is obviously not my forte!)

In your directions above one of your last points was..."Run your wires the way you want (I always run my lights ground wire to my ON-OFF switch)."

I'm assuming you mean the ON-OFF switch where you use the bike key, right? But how do you tap into it? I would also like to connect the QH87CD lights' ground wires to it - but I don't know how to access it.

Can you describe the approach?

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi Mark, If you need help...Please have someone with an auto electronics background. Just look at the wiring diagrams I posted above. Did you buy a relay off ebay?
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 12:43 am

Dennis:
I hope you are doing well and had a great Christmas. I would be interested in buying a light mounting Bracket, that you fabricate. Please let me know what they cost and what I need to do to get my payment to you. Take care.
David Cloutier
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 2:04 am

The Scootist wrote:
Please let me know what they cost and what I need to do to get my payment to you.

Dennis may be or may soon be on vacation for ~2 weeks. I am sure he will respond at the earliest chance.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 5:31 am

If I may chip in - Dennis accepted payment by Paypal for the bits I've bought from him. Smile
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Dave,

I remember your email and I also remember sending you a response to your inquiry about a light bar.

My response: "Happy Holidays. I'll get back with you after the new year. Enjoy!"
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:58 am

Hooray! Hooray!

My Dennis B light-bar arrived this morning (and the front Plug 'n' Play Connector)

A thousand thanks, Dennis. cheers
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Mike,

It's always a little scary to ship anything during the holidays. I'm happy hear it arrived in good order.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks, Dennis.
The postal system between the States and here seems to function very well.
I suspect Customs sometimes sit on things but everything arrives in good order.
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 5:36 pm

have had my Silverwing for about 6 months and am so happy with my choice of scooter. I am very interested in the Light bar that you make. Please send me
your preferd way of payment and the shipping cost to the UK
Thanks
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi Duke,

I'll PM you on cost and shipping.
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 6:04 am

Hello Dennis,

I hope your still around for business. I am still waiting for the information on cost and shipping for the [b]Light Bar [/bthat you make.

Thanks. sunny
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 6:44 am

Send him an e-mail to get a response.
Back to top Go down
Duke1
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Duke1

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Will do thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks   Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Light Bar - Safety and Good Looks
Page 1 of 1