Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Not Wearing a Helmet

Go down 
+47
Colin B
Black Sapper
P Butter
Microtouch
hotwings
kbcmdba
greyfox30
SonnyO
realbtl
Meldrew
Winger61
GHM-PM
DickO
ailixhomes
Old Sloppy
DaveR
som2002
surlybiker58
Johnnygone
Somerled
billc.
cjuzda
Daboo
Waspie
Windrider
texasswing
model28a
tarmacburner2
toolboxjesse
bigbird
bob wells
tubeck
AAAA
lucian
GWPSI
CathyN
Opalsboy
FlyingWing
dspevack
roadrunner
"Hi Yo"
exavid
MikeO
skiwoods
pancho
Skippy
robert
51 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 am

First topic message reminder :

An Off-Duty Cop had a pretty bad accident while riding his own personal M/C the other day on the I-10 Freeway here in Phoenix. He may have prevented some of his serious injuries, if he would have been wearing a helmet. But you are not required to wear a helmet here in Arizona. You will get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt while driving your vehicle. But you are more than welcome to splatter your brains on the highway here, by not wearing a helmet. Ride Safe...Robert.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 2:03 pm

As some of you know, I lost my son in a m/c accident 10 years ago. They went to Scottsdale, AZ for Arizona Bike Week, were going to dinner and all agreed not to wear helmets. Well, they were going up Superstition Mountain . There was a group of riders coming down. One of them cut the yellow line and Rick, my son, was riding to the inside going up in the lead. They were behind heavy car and bike traffic so were going about 20mph in 2ond gear. It threw him off over the handle bars and landed on his head. Spent 30 days in hospital and died. Left four boy's and a wife 18, 17, 13 and 10 ages. Worst day of our lives! He "always" wore a helmet but was talked into not wearing one that day. Don't know if it would have saved his life or not but. . .
Old Dave in Western Nebraska
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 6:14 pm

I was doing an Internet search the other day, looking for a picture of helmet damage especially on the chin bar when I came across a thumbnail image that left an impression on me.

I didn't need to blow up the thumbnail to see exactly what it was showing. There was a man laying on the pavement, all sprawled out. Can you picture what an apple pie looks like when a large slice has been taken out? That's what his head looked like. It wasn't mashed in. It didn't even look like there was road rash on his face. There was a large slice of the skull gone totally like that apple pie. Over a foot or so, was something that looked like a blob. I assumed that was his brains. Like I wrote, I didn't click on it. I had seen enough.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Peer pressure can kill you...
Back to top Go down
robert
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
robert

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 9:16 pm

You can get a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt while driving your car,but you are not required to wear a helmet while riding your m/c. here in Az. It's called freedom of choice, you can splatter your brains on the highway or try and protect your noggin by wearing a helmet, it's up to you. Ride Safe.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 5:40 am

You will probably get a ticket for not wearing clothes but very few people protest about not being free to walk around naked! There again with some of the pictures of people on here thae fact that they do wear clothes is something to be thankful for (I include myself in that group).

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
ailixhomes
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 am

It is very necessary to wear helmet while driving. Helmets are designed to support and secure the head from the effect of any sort of incident. A helmet may be the only security you have if you experience an accident while driving.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 4:08 am

I do not wear a helmet on the days I KNOW I will not have an accident. Haven't found one yet.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:23 am

"Hi Yo" wrote:
I do not wear a helmet on the days I KNOW I will not have an accident. Haven't found one yet.

That is probably the best answer to the 'Do I, Don't I?' question.

If it wasn't for the fact that wearing a helmet is compulsory where I ride I would adopt this.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm

My agreement, fwiw, is with all of the above scribes. Maybe I'm a wimp but I want as much stuff between me and all the other "hard" things out there if I happen to go down/under/over/against anything. I'm not even sure I ride in the correct lane when out on the road. Like to look ahead as much as possible but also, since a great deal of my riding is rural, prefer to have quick access to a grassy ditch if the occasion should arise.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2551
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 5:39 pm

It is true Arizona does NOT require a rider to use a helmet unless he/she is under 18. Freedom of choice is what they say. Who pays is what I ask?
Back to top Go down
Old Sloppy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Freedom of choice is what they say. Who pays is what I ask?

Well we all pay.
non-helmet injuries cost much more to treat/stich back together.

I read a goverment (insurance related) web page that stated that 97% of motorcycle wrecks include one or more of the following items.

1) no helmet ( or wearing a non-DOT helmet)
2) no valid M/C license
3) alcohol/drugs
4) no insurance
5) no current tag

Harry
from Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:20 am

We have a m/cycle race circuit about 5 miles from the hospital I work at. Accident cases from there are usually airlifted to a larger hospital, but we get the ones who try to copy the racers, but on the open highway, on their way home from the track.

A couple of weekend shifts in our A&E department (trauma room), and most people would think twice about not wearing safety gear - it saves lives!

The last case we had in, the guy came off on a bend at about 70mph. Totalled his helmet, skin scrubbed down to the bone on his hip and elbow, bruise on his cheekbone.

Helmets save lives!

Be safe.
Graham.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:03 am

One thing about the UK is no one rides wearing those silly 'brain buckets' that look like climbing helmets. I've noticed they're very popular in places like Florida, and with Hollywood celebrities on their tarted up Harley's.

You can use hot weather as an excuse for not wearing any helmet or just a glorified piss pot, but on my recent visit to Italy almost everyone was wearing stylish jet-style open face helmets in the summer heat, the Italians having similar EU helmet laws to the UK.

Riding without a helmet is probably more about wanting to look bada** than anything else, and personal choice is the excuse used for doing it.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:41 am

Meldrew wrote:

Riding without a helmet is probably more about wanting to look bada** than anything else, and personal choice is the excuse used for doing it.

Well said, ala Marlon Brando in "The Wild One". I am SURE we look wild on our Silver Wings... Shocked

On a sobering note, a Canadian friend of mine drives a Harley and had new tires installed; then headed out on holiday. Something went wrong in the front end. perhaps the tires were installed incorrectly but who knows? A severe accident resulted and he is lucky to be alive! His helmet and leathers took a lot of the damage. A hospital stay was still a necessity and although he was badly hurt; he is doing well and in the market for a new bike... Had he been w/o a helmet I am afraid a funeral would have been in order.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:03 pm

God created us in His Image! The word Image, carries with it the ability to "reason and think." Now with that said, we should understand why He did that. We should also understand why we should wear a "Helmet." Our brain is what gives us our ability to do what no other creature on this earth is able to do and that is to use common sense when it comes to protecting this physical body which gives us the capability to explore and do things beyond any other creature that inhabits this planet. By our Creators Standards, I am positively sure He expects us to explore our environment etc. but take some precautions to preserve and protect our bodies. That includes the "Brain". With out the brain we will cease to function at the physical level. Why take the risk?
Old Dave in Western Nebraska, U.S.A. Smile
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 4:32 pm

Winger61 wrote:
...A couple of weekend shifts in our A&E department (trauma room), and most people would think twice about not wearing safety gear - it saves lives!...Graham.
I wish when these discussions come up, we had more members who work in trauma rooms or as paramedics tell us what they see all the time.

It is easy to say that no one will force me to wear a helmet or safety gear till you look at people who didn't and got into an accident. And if they are conscious, you can hear their screams.

Chris
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:38 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
I understand all of this. But when 400,000 people die a year from smoking, and 35,000 of those that don't even smoke, why is this not brought up also. Look at the 1,000,000 babies that die each year due to abortions. Do you think God approves of all these babies dying. Where are the helmet backers for all of these deaths? I guess alot of helmet wearers on this site smoke and approve of abortions.

Absolute nonsense. There is no rational relationship between smoking, abortion (or God for that matter) and wearing or not wearing a helmet. I suppose the reason we are not talking about some of the latter issues is that this is a riding forum, not a health issues forum. FWIW, you are comparing a very nasty physical/mental addiction that kills over a protracted length of time (I'm not a smoker) with the simple act of placing a piece of plastic on your head and doing up a buckle. Gosh, that's tough isn't it?

Trying to use this topic to raise the abortion issue in connection with this discussion is insulting, no matter what your point of view is.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 pm

cjuzda wrote:

Trying to use this topic to raise the abortion issue in connection with this discussion is insulting, no matter what your point of view is.

Definitely +1 on this.

ETA The post cjuzda is referring to is not the kind of comment I would expect of a site administrator.
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 pm

+2
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:46 pm

+3
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Um Jeff, there was one other little thing that you did mention and that I and a few others found out of place on this thread/forum.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:45 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
Look at the 1,000,000 babies that die each year due to abortions. ... I guess alot of helmet wearers on this site smoke and approve of abortions.

Do I have to spell it out? Last time I looked this was a Silverwing forum not a political forum. Please keep your beliefs to yourself and don't insult mine.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 pm

As I have gotten older I've come to realize that I have neither the time nor desire to wade through this kind of bull****. Time to check out other forums.

Bye folks, it was fun until it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Sorry Jeff, I don't think you're a bad guy and you've done a great job with this forum and providing valuable information, but this has gotten completely out of control. I'm sure there are other forums that it would more appropriate for you to participate in with specific reference to your "beliefs", whatever they may be. Practically speaking you have raised issues that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed. No offense.

Chris
Back to top Go down
SonnyO
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SonnyO

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

As a newbie to the site, just thought I would share my perspective about helmet use. It is a topic that brings out strong opinions anywhere motorcycle folks gather.

First of all, I respect the right of the individual to choose to do as they see fit on this issue. Personally, I will hardly sit on a bike without a helmet. Wife and I ride bicycles every day, and yes, we wear bike helmets every time. That is our choice.

A few years ago I low sided(ok, crashed) a K1100LT in Arkansas near Petite Jean State Park. Too much front brake in a very slight lean in an "S" curve. Stupid on my part, certainly, but I was wearing jeans, a light weight perforated leather jacket, and a Shoei full face helmet. Result of a 40mph low side: bike slid away, I slid and tumbled several times and landed in a ditch. Hip and leg major bruising, jacket torn up but minimal road rash, and the helmet had several major scratches and dings. Bike was eventually totalled but I managed to ride it(painfully) 400 miles home.

I guess my position is it is great to have a desire for freedom and enjoy the wind in your face, wish I could do that. Experience has taught me to always ride with a good quality full face helmet.

Ride safe.
Back to top Go down
greyfox30
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 am

realbtl wrote:
As I have gotten older I've come to realize that I have neither the time nor desire to wade through this kind of bull****. Time to check out other forums.

Bye folks, it was fun until it wasn't.

+1
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:41 am

It's a forum mate, we're just a bunch of mainly old blokes with a Silver Wing a computer and the time to sit and type this stuff. You don't have to read it, comment on it, or get wound up about it. Life will go on whether you or anyone else leaves. I left that Silver Wing Tech forum a couple of months ago, no one noticed and no one one cared either, which exactly is how it should be. Neutral

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:23 am

Meldrew wrote:
It's a forum mate, we're just a bunch of mainly old blokes with a Silver Wing a computer and the time to sit and type this stuff. You don't have to read it, comment on it, or get wound up about. Life will go on whether you or anyone else leaves. I left that Silver Wing Tech forum a couple of months ago, no one noticed and no one one cared either, which exactly is how it should be. Neutral

Well said! farao
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Many excellent points here. I rarely ride without and when I do, I am usually thinking how risky/dumb it is to go without. My wife despises how it messes up her hair but I've told her a lot of the same things. Our biggest concern is what our two adult children and other family would go through if we crashed and had brain injuries that a helmet would have prevented/minimized. Death happens - of course, but few people think to remember that death is not the worst thing that could happen. I ride year-round and there are conditions I just won't ride in. The problem is there are others out there that would rather knock me over than obey the laws of the road.

+lots to everyone. Freedom with responsibility is a great thing. Freedom without responsibility is reckless or better yet, a train wreck waiting to happen.
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Not wearing a helmet = natures way of eliminating the stupid!!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 pm

I agree with Meldrew
Old Dave Smile
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 1:58 am

In aviation, we have a saying... There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots.
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 5:14 am

Wearing Helmets.

Your LIFE choice. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:49 am

I believe in personal choice but it must come with personal responsibility. Cannot have one without the other.
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
P Butter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
P Butter

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Helmet been on my face since 1975 gloves on after 1983 ( lesson learned ) Florida has a no helmet law as long as you have 10 k in health insurance . lol a real joke I know . Come off two wheels and you have already most likey over 10 k
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:55 pm

I had an accident a little over a year ago (on a different bike, not my swing) and I was wearing one of those "brain bucket" helmets that have been so derided and insulted as being "useless" by people on this forum.

I was wearing it and some protective padded motorcycle glasses and they protected me perfectly well. The helmet was damaged and the glasses were scratched up from where my head hit the pavement and skidded along for several yards.

I definitely don't consider them useless.

Last edited by DuggleBogey on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 2:48 pm

The thread was at the top of my list, I didn't know it was a very old thread. I will be careful to examine the dates of all posts from now on. If you really don't want people posting on old threads, consider locking them if people haven't posted in them after a period of time.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3788
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 3:00 pm

Thank you for taking the hint. Smile
Back to top Go down
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 8:11 am

As a member of the emergency services, I cannot understand the desire to spread the contents of one's skull on the tarmac. Research and practical experience show that wearing a helmet reduces injury and saves lives.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 9:58 am

Same principle with proper protective clothing. It may not protect against broken bones, but at least all the bits will be in the same bag!

Back to top Go down
powpilot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
powpilot

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2014-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 10:57 am

For the record, I do wear a helmet always.

This idea of laws like helmet laws based on perceived public interest should scare the bejesus out of every rational human being.  There is no limit to them.

It's a short distance from the "public good" requiring motorcyclists to wear a helmet to the "public good" banning motorcycles all together.  Same principles, same reasoning.  Apply it to private aircraft, private boats, model airplanes, guns, knives, there is no end.  The banning of certain breeds of dog based on the behavior of a few?  How about banning shorts and t shirts because of the increased risk of skin cancer?  Or that moron Bloomberg in NYC banning soft drinks over 32 oz?

With over 7 billion people on the planet, each of whom has their own perception of public interest, there is no end to the potential for mischief and misery.

Gary
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2014 3:33 pm

Good point and well said Gary.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 7:25 am

Oh those rebel scooter riders. A dangerous bunch i say Laughing. A menace to society! Always wanting to go against the grain Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 7:44 am

I agree with Gary totally. However, I would go ones step further. You have the right to decide IF you want to wear a helmet, BUT society should not have to pay your medical bills for your stupidity!!! LOL
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 12:20 pm

Think i will cancel my MC insurance. Im never going to have an accident so why be dictated by the law to buy something i dont want to! Im also never wearing my helmet again or eye protection! Think i will even wear my coat inside out to show im a free scooter ridin  rebel..........Smile, a bandana for sure.....
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 12:40 pm

How does Vehicle insurance work in the US?
In the UK it's mandatory; drivers/riders are prosecuted for driving without it and the uninsured vehicles can be seized by the police and crushed.
It's a very serious offence here.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 2:15 pm

MikeO wrote:
In the UK it's mandatory; drivers/riders are prosecuted for driving without it and the uninsured vehicles can be seized by the police and crushed.
Each state sets their own rules and don't even get into local rules and regulations. affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 2:36 pm

MikeO wrote:

Unless the goal posts have been moved in recent years that is not strictly true bud, if you have a specific amount of money lodged at Llyod's of London, personal car insurance is not necessary.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 3:08 pm

I didn't know that.
My information comes from here:

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2014 3:31 pm

In Washington State insurance on motorcycles is not required.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not Wearing a Helmet   Not Wearing a Helmet - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not Wearing a Helmet
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next