Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, I am opening this site back up for new members. I closed it due to a few members complaining. Please just accept the site for what it is. The site is 'what it is'. We hope you enjoy the site. Please also join www.maxi-scoots.com !!!

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» First Road Trip
by Greysilver Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Hello from Norfolk, VA!
by cotetoi Yesterday at 11:12 pm

» Low rear tire Milage
by Sidewinder Pilot Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Trike Tire Change ? ( re-post to correct forum )
by Briorick Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» Dusty RearWheel
by oldwingguy Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Job #1 done, #2 not to sure of.
by Osprey Yesterday at 3:50 pm

» Braking
by Osprey Yesterday at 3:43 pm

» Helpful Tips for Centre Stand???
by MikeO Yesterday at 10:53 am

» Howdy y'all ...
by Sirkitrider Yesterday at 7:07 am

» Bonjour hullo from the Cote d'Azur
by Mech 1 twa Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Variator and Belt Pictorial

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Installing belt   Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:43 pm

There is just one thing I would like to add to this information of changing the belt.
I noticed that the variator plates are made of soft aluminum? and the splines are easily dammaged. So what I did was install the belt only on the front and in between the variator plates and screwed in the bolt just enough so that the bolt was secure and the plates lined up. Then I pushed the belt on to the lower part of the clutch and turned the variator by hand as far as I could, tightening the belt and then put my shoe on the belt and pressed the starter button, just for a second. It slipped on like a champ and I was able to tighten down the bolt to the proper specks turning the belt a few times along the way. cheers
Back to top Go down
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 343
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:25 pm

john123 wrote:
I pushed the belt on to the lower part of the clutch and turned the variator by hand as far as I could, tightening the belt and then put my shoe on the belt and pressed the starter button, just for a second. It slipped on like a champ and I was able to tighten down the bolt to the proper specks turning the belt a few times along the way. cheers

Is your method kinda like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2468
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:40 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks JeffR for the tutorial.
I'm actually going to be replacing the black outer trans cover (the larger one with the filter inside forward of the round one that has the Honda name plate on it) as it developed a stress crack that is growing. I was wondering if it is at all possible to undo the four bolts that hold it on without removing the passenger foot-peg assembly. I almost think I could get a small socket wrench to remove the front most bolt that sits under the foot peg assembly. Usually removal of anything that involves clips and tabs like the upper one with the hole in it are a pain. Or is the peg removal & re-installation easy as pie?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2098
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:27 pm

"Or is the peg removal & re-installation easy as pie?"
Yes it is.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Bill,

I'm glad the pictorial is helpful. I would just remove it since it only takes about 2-3 minutes and then you have plenty of room to get to the other bolts. But like Roger said..it is very easy to remove and it is very quick too.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:38 pm

model28a wrote:
"Or is the peg removal & re-installation easy as pie?"
Yes it is.

In one word - YES!

Two allen bolts. Simples.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks guys for your replies. I guess I was concerned about the parts of the peg assembly that tuck under the bike like the clip and the upper tab that you must press against, knowing, of course, that the allen screws would be the easy part. But if y'all say it's going to be easy then I'll take your word for it. I probably will receive the new trans cover Monday or Tuesday and then install it. Now I'm wondering how the old one could have developed a crack running from the top downward on the upper narrow part. I'm thinking the culprit may be the gazillion speed bumps I have to go over now that I've moved into a new home development. I think I've gone over them slow but had a few pop up and surprise me early on. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2468
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:07 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:08 am

Guys, now I'm thinking of going in to change out the rollers to sliders. I was wondering if there were any pics of the change using a stock variator as this pictorial shows the procedure with a J Costa variator. I'm especially interested in zoning in on the variator removal procedure. From there I can see the other thread with the link to Buggy Parts NW's tutorial on the slider installation. It looks like I'll have to get a torque wrench and be real careful tearing down through the tranny to avoid re-installing anything wrong or damaging the belt.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the pictorial! I used a custom-fabricated holder (made by someone other than me, but looks similar to the non-universal Honda variator tool) to hold it while removing the variator with a hand ratchet. I wouldn't hit the crank, and thus valve train with a hammer, so I won't use an impact wrench - too many bearings and precision machined surfaces to essentially hit it with a hammer - plus I won't save any money if I damage any of that!

I think it's much better to just find a way to hold the front pulley. That bolt shouldn't be too tight - it doesn't call for any threadlock compound, plus over torquing that UBS bolt is Very Bad (so is undertorqing it) according to my mechanic overseer - it's not a standard bolt, and over tightening ruins it (it probably won't resist loostening even if you fix the torque later - you need a new bolt if you've ever overtightened it), and of course under tightening doesn't let it work right (hence the importance of oiling the threads when installing it - if you don't, you won't get the extremely accurate torque a UBS bolt needs to do its' job).

I'm sure plenty of Honda mechanics hit it with an impact wrench, and obviously the bike can survive the ordeal. But I still don't think it's a good idea. I think Honda would be fine telling their dealerships and others to use an impact wrench (since it would save significant time) if it didn't matter.

As for the clutch nut, I had no problem with using the parking brake + main brake (left handle) to hold the wheel to get it off. I used a helper, but I could have used some zip ties to hold the brake lever. There definitely was threadlock on that bolt, as it broke free quite suddenly.
Back to top Go down
Galway Swing'er!
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-09-14

PostSubject: variator and belt pictorial   Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi

This is my first post on this forum! - Thanks for the fantastic pictorial for the belt change - I have 36000 miles on my 2008' Silverwing and I don't think the belt has ever been replaced as I bought it with 10000 miles on the clock - so before the first change was due!..

I have been pretty nervous about breaking down on a commute and was unsure of how to tackle the belt change - so thanks to this guide, I will be doing the change tomorrow!!

Cheers from Ireland!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2532
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:48 am

Galway,

I'm glad the pictorial can help you out. It is a pretty simple job but just takes an hour or so to get the job done. Just make sure you have the tools available and you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverwing600.com

Variator and Belt Pictorial
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: "Pictorials" Maintenance-