Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Variator and Belt Pictorial

Go down 
+32
Mrmoz
Galway Swing'er!
jmaslak
Waspie
JeffR_
model28a
PHXScooterBill
trouble1100
john123
bikerdaryl
Vealie
aidanpryde18
buddy19520
eddy
BlackFly
Lordbal
roadrunner
steveR
GWPSI
bigbird
papa johns
Hammy
xbgc25a
Jim Cater
MikeH
sw2009
masscoot
Cornishman
dickie
DenGraham
honda_silver
JeffR
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

Like the spark plug pictorial I did about a year ago, I also did one for the changing of the belt and pins on my J. Costa variator.

If you read this over you should have no problem doing this work yourself. The pictures provide a step-by-step "Pictorial" on how go change out the belt and the pins of the J. Costa. If you are changing out the rollers of your stock variator this will guide you through it too.

Ride safe,

JeffR

Last edited by JeffR on Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:52 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
trouble1100
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
trouble1100

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2010-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:25 pm

john123 wrote:
I pushed the belt on to the lower part of the clutch and turned the variator by hand as far as I could, tightening the belt and then put my shoe on the belt and pressed the starter button, just for a second. It slipped on like a champ and I was able to tighten down the bolt to the proper specks turning the belt a few times along the way. cheers

Is your method kinda like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:40 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks JeffR for the tutorial.
I'm actually going to be replacing the black outer trans cover (the larger one with the filter inside forward of the round one that has the Honda name plate on it) as it developed a stress crack that is growing. I was wondering if it is at all possible to undo the four bolts that hold it on without removing the passenger foot-peg assembly. I almost think I could get a small socket wrench to remove the front most bolt that sits under the foot peg assembly. Usually removal of anything that involves clips and tabs like the upper one with the hole in it are a pain. Or is the peg removal & re-installation easy as pie?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:27 pm

"Or is the peg removal & re-installation easy as pie?"
Yes it is.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Bill,

I'm glad the pictorial is helpful. I would just remove it since it only takes about 2-3 minutes and then you have plenty of room to get to the other bolts. But like Roger said..it is very easy to remove and it is very quick too.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:38 pm

model28a wrote:
"Or is the peg removal & re-installation easy as pie?"
Yes it is.

In one word - YES!

Two allen bolts. Simples.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 1:06 am

Thanks guys for your replies. I guess I was concerned about the parts of the peg assembly that tuck under the bike like the clip and the upper tab that you must press against, knowing, of course, that the allen screws would be the easy part. But if y'all say it's going to be easy then I'll take your word for it. I probably will receive the new trans cover Monday or Tuesday and then install it. Now I'm wondering how the old one could have developed a crack running from the top downward on the upper narrow part. I'm thinking the culprit may be the gazillion speed bumps I have to go over now that I've moved into a new home development. I think I've gone over them slow but had a few pop up and surprise me early on. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 12:07 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2011 3:08 am

Guys, now I'm thinking of going in to change out the rollers to sliders. I was wondering if there were any pics of the change using a stock variator as this pictorial shows the procedure with a J Costa variator. I'm especially interested in zoning in on the variator removal procedure. From there I can see the other thread with the link to Buggy Parts NW's tutorial on the slider installation. It looks like I'll have to get a torque wrench and be real careful tearing down through the tranny to avoid re-installing anything wrong or damaging the belt.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the pictorial! I used a custom-fabricated holder (made by someone other than me, but looks similar to the non-universal Honda variator tool) to hold it while removing the variator with a hand ratchet. I wouldn't hit the crank, and thus valve train with a hammer, so I won't use an impact wrench - too many bearings and precision machined surfaces to essentially hit it with a hammer - plus I won't save any money if I damage any of that!

I think it's much better to just find a way to hold the front pulley. That bolt shouldn't be too tight - it doesn't call for any threadlock compound, plus over torquing that UBS bolt is Very Bad (so is undertorqing it) according to my mechanic overseer - it's not a standard bolt, and over tightening ruins it (it probably won't resist loostening even if you fix the torque later - you need a new bolt if you've ever overtightened it), and of course under tightening doesn't let it work right (hence the importance of oiling the threads when installing it - if you don't, you won't get the extremely accurate torque a UBS bolt needs to do its' job).

I'm sure plenty of Honda mechanics hit it with an impact wrench, and obviously the bike can survive the ordeal. But I still don't think it's a good idea. I think Honda would be fine telling their dealerships and others to use an impact wrench (since it would save significant time) if it didn't matter.

As for the clutch nut, I had no problem with using the parking brake + main brake (left handle) to hold the wheel to get it off. I used a helper, but I could have used some zip ties to hold the brake lever. There definitely was threadlock on that bolt, as it broke free quite suddenly.
Back to top Go down
Galway Swing'er!
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-09-14

PostSubject: variator and belt pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi

This is my first post on this forum! - Thanks for the fantastic pictorial for the belt change - I have 36000 miles on my 2008' Silverwing and I don't think the belt has ever been replaced as I bought it with 10000 miles on the clock - so before the first change was due!..

I have been pretty nervous about breaking down on a commute and was unsure of how to tackle the belt change - so thanks to this guide, I will be doing the change tomorrow!!

Cheers from Ireland!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 1:48 am

Galway,

I'm glad the pictorial can help you out. It is a pretty simple job but just takes an hour or so to get the job done. Just make sure you have the tools available and you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 5:54 am

Hi all I know this must seam like groundhog day but I've never changed a scooter drive belt before. This thread mentions a pictorial but I can't see any and the only link present takes me off to another sites home page. All the rear end is apart ready for the deep winter clean. New shocks are already on (yss) and all plastics getting machine polished. So the belt is it just nut off drive face removed belt on and gun the nut up. Why do some people run the engine blip the revs then re tighten etc. Many thanks mrmoz.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 am

Mrmoz wrote:
Hi all I know this must seam like groundhog day but I've never changed a scooter drive belt before. This thread mentions a pictorial but I can't see any and the only link present takes me off to another sites home page. All the rear end is apart ready for the deep winter clean. New shocks are already on (yss) and all plastics getting machine polished. So the belt is it just nut off drive face removed belt on and gun the nut up. Why do some people run the engine blip the revs then re tighten etc. Many thanks mrmoz.

mrmoz

the search bar should throw up other links but a quick Google search shows this as the latest video posted.

https://youtu.be/bR6ZYzfW_4U

I'm sure others can talk you through step by step if required but Ii would say if your not confident in your ability ask someone whose done it before to show you or dare I say a dealer???

Basically your getting the belt to the correct tension (as you would a chain drive bike, to loose it will slip off overtighten it may well shred)

Don't forget to change pulleys and sliders without in the scoots bowels
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 9:10 am

Hello. Yes, evidently the "Pictorial" has evaporated into history.

Please don't use a gun to tighten the variator bolt. A gun is okay to remove the bolt, but please use a proper torque wrench and holding tool when reassembling the works.

The reason some folks bump the engine when the variator bolt is tightened is so that the belt doesn't get pinched and the pulley half goes on straight.

Here is another link to a belt replacement video wherein the owner is using a simple home made variator holding tool and proper hand tools: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq4Y2rEJdSw

And here's a link for making that variator holding tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIVAimvORFI

Oh, and don't forget to clean the belt case filter too. The Variator and Driven Pulley system needs air flow to help it run "cool".

Tim
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1981
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7jED5EkGIOj_ee8CPOtwZ_YWxX14uP0/view?usp=sharing

I hope this works and everyone who wants/needs it can see it. I also hope this is what you are looking for.

And now that my SWing is a trike I'll have to make a new variator tool. Oh Well. No biggie. Fun in the garage.
Back to top Go down
Mrmoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2018-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 1:22 pm

Hi thanks for the quick response to my post the video is really good and easy to follow. Iam quite confident on the spanners I do all my own servicing on my car so this shouldn't be to much of a problem. My belt came with new rollers as well so they will be changed to. The bike has only done 13k miles in 10 years but rear shocks looked awful and really rusty the new 1s look brilliant. Belt going on this weekend after I've watched this video a few more times. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2018 3:38 pm

Don't rush it, don't worry, be happy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Variator and Belt Pictorial   Variator and Belt Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Variator and Belt Pictorial
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2