Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial

Go down 
+30
The Bern
Loosemarbles
bill tucker
ericclapham
lenseonlife
gremlin
Meldrew
Easyrider
blueman
Old Limey
oldgwingguy
Mike from NS
bribagz
dikkiedo
Leon Grigg
philblumenfeld
buddy19520
Dimond
model28a
"Hi Yo"
vproven
Ishkatan
JeffR_
goldwinger
ridr44
joncallihan
DickO
Waspie
RNoodle
JeffR
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi,

I did a "Pictorial" for - Spark Plug removal and replacement with the link here:

This is a very easy procedure and there isn't any reason to pay someone to do this for you.

Ride safe,

JeffR

Last edited by JeffR on Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

AuthorMessage
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 7:27 am

Just a small point i have seen on two of the scoots that i have dismantled that the spark plug cap has a small pin inside to grip the thread of the spark plug these were found to have burned away and then became a lose fit, i would imagine that the cause of this would be down to the plug caps not being firmly pressed down on to the plug when the plugs were changed, you can buy just the plug cap it unscrews from the lead so its no real problem to sort
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1561
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 12:55 pm

Thanks Cosmic Jumper. I'm going to remove the screw-on 'top connector' and see if the plug caps make a better contact. I never was happy with the connection using the screw-on 'top connectors' attached. It just doesn't feel right.

Getting old? It's a mixed blessing. I find I don't really give a s**t about much these days (apart from riding) which is a great relief.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Hello again Siataukreg,

I remember this little pin you mentioned on older cars which I have owned. I was thinking of replacing the plug caps themselves. It's a relief to know that they just unscrew from the lead (like the old days). I wondered whether I was damaging the grips, and the little pins, inside the caps by pushing them over the plug screw-on bit. I'm gonna check out this whole thing at the weekend.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Spark plug with SilverWing=really do not need changing very often. My experience with 2 new purchased SilverWings, both traded at near 50,000 miles with original plugs still in.

But what I did in the first few days of ownership--remove plugs put "Never Seize" on the threads in case I never need to pull them.

Used purchase, I would look at plugs, at least making sure proper heat range and condition.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 5:07 pm

I've replaced many a Honda AUTO spark plugs back in 1990's that were toast at 30k miles. Center electrode rounded and burnt back even with porcelain . When the gap becomes larger the coil can become damaged. Replaced a few coils also no spark from worn plugs.

In my opinion 16k is a good time to replace plugs. 50k is a lot on a standard plug. Platinum 100k. Iridium 50k.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 5:20 pm

Until you have ridden 50,000 miles with new SilverWing on original plugs, you just have an opinion. My take, why waste the money if you don''t have to. My bikes worked fine, even in the end...and I am fussy with bikes.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2018 12:13 pm

Loosebearing wrote:
Hello again Siataukreg,

I remember this little pin you mentioned on older cars which I have owned. I was thinking of replacing the plug caps themselves. It's a relief to know that they just unscrew from the lead (like the old days). I wondered whether I was damaging the grips, and the little pins, inside the caps by pushing them over the plug screw-on bit. I'm gonna check out this whole thing at the weekend.

If you find they are burned away i have some that are good
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks siataukreg,

I had a look yesterday and discovered that my plugs DON'T have the screw-on caps attached and the plug caps are making a good contact over the threaded part on top of the plug. The plugs are in good condition and will see a few more miles yet. I also found the old ones which I replaced a few thousand miles ago and they are also still in good nick so could be used in an emergency. I'll be in touch if I need anything else though small moped

Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 09, 2018 6:19 pm

No probs mate i am down your end in september for the ace cafe reunion 7th to 9th london for three nights brighton on the sunday and as i have sold my three other bikes will be on the scoot for the first time
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 am

Yeah, sounds cool,

Maybe we could meet up in Brighton? Any excuse for a ride...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial   Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spark Plug removal and replacement Pictorial
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2