Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?

Go down 
+8
Jeff Rosenkranz
Waspie
Cosmic_Jumper
honda_silver
Sweendog
JeffR
DennisB
wingmann
12 posters
AuthorMessage
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? Empty
PostSubject: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 4:45 pm

I have read that some Silverwing frames are rusting out . I would like to find out if the rusting out of the silverwings frames has a pattern like only one or two years of production or the part of the Country it is in . Can everyone that has seen the frame rusting tell us all the years of Silverwing and miles on it. And the State USA or Town UK and if you live close to salt water / salt air by Ocean and if you drive in rain a lot or on dry winter salted roads in rust belt USA and can you tell us the spot on the frame that the surface rust is and or the rusted out holes in the frame. If you have pictures would help but not neccesary. This would be good info to know how common this happens and if Honda has fixed this after a certain year . THANKS
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Hey WingMann,

Well...That's a nasty little rummor started by the Burgman folks. I have never heard of a Honda Silverwing EVER rusting out. Remember...This is a HONDA!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 7:21 pm

Hmm not a lot of replies from people with rusted frames .I have an 02 with no rust .
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 pm

I have heard of a rumor that someone had one that rusted but I think the guy was in England and lived right on the coast. There was also a guy, I think his name was "Joe Black", that said so many bad things about the SWing that many didn't even think he had one. He said that if you put the SWing on its center stand that you will bend the frame.

I wouldn't listen to the rumor at all.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:00 pm

The only rust issue I recall reading about was rims. Someone over in the UK, if I recall, maybe Bernardo, bought his used Swing, and it had some surface corrosion on the rims that didn't look so good. I've not heard of any rust issues on the frame.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Sweendog wrote:
The only rust issue I recall reading about was rims. Someone over in the UK, if I recall, maybe Bernardo, bought his used Swing, and it had some surface corrosion on the rims that didn't look so good.

I believe the rim "pucking" happened twice. Which was resolved by repainting the rims.

Sweendog wrote:
I've not heard of any rust issues on the frame.

I have not hear of any rust on the frame.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 10:29 pm

There was a frame issue with some Goldwings IIRC, but I've never heard of a Sikverwing frame -or frame rust- problem.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 12:58 am

I live on the coast, in fact I am surround by a corrosive salt atmosphere.

After a year there is no sign of rust on the frame of my wing. In contrast to my Suzuki Burgman which after six months showed a suprising amount of surface corrosion on the frame. At the four year mark it would have been quite bad had I not taken a few steps to slow it down.

Here's to Honda's superior finish. (Although John G will probably find fault)!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:30 am

Probably my fault Wingman. Under the Silverwing versus Burgman silliness, I ran with the rust issue, commenting that I had replaced 2 frames and was worlking on the third. A few of us had a little "tongue in cheek" fun with the absurdity. Sorry for the confusion.......as usual I will blame Sister Cratchit and the Nuns at the School of Perpetual Tardiness for my misleads. Jeff.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 8:00 am

Dang it Jeff,

If I where you... I would try to keep Sister (Nurse) Cratchit away from my scooter from now on and what ever you do, don't let ride your scooter...You just might find her down in old Mexico, drunk on bad Tequila in some dive with a couple of new arm tattoos traded for you scooter.

Last edited by DennisB on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:22 am

If it does-----probably at least 30 years down the line. Modern stuff doesn't work very good in year round use in northern climates with salted streets------anyway something else would go long before frame. I rode Helix straight thru 2 Wis winters----no damage other then appearance---last time I visited....my former bikes were still running strong...new owners not cleaning nuts.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:35 am

Hey John,

Sounds like some good advice. I always try to keep my nuts clean. How about the rest of you guys? chickendance

Clean nuts are happy nuts!

So keep um shinning!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 am

IIRC the people in charge of gritting/salting the roads in the UK had the wonderful idea of mixing the salt with molasses so it wouldn't get washed away so quickly.
As a result, vehicles were coated with a sticky, corrosive goo which didn't get washed off naturally.
I think that 'brain-wave' has been dropped now.

I do know for a fact that Suzuki UK have stopped replacing corroded wheels under warranty - a good friend of mine was after his third pair, now resorting to powder-coating to solve the problem.
Back to top Go down
Jeff Rosenkranz
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm

Dang it DennisB......I saw the "New owners not cleaning nuts" comment and thought to myself, There is no way that I'm going to beat DennisB to that one!" Sure enough.......scrolled down a couple inches......laughed so hard......made my otherwise Migrane Monday bearable. Well, Someday, somewhere, a memorial will stand proud, bearing the name of DennisB listing all of his accomplishments and his selfless service to his fellow man...and as well wishers pay their respects for generations to come, they'll all walk away with with a smile as they read.....at the bottom of the marble monument.....DennisB's most well remembered words to live by....." Clean nuts are happy nuts " bounce bounce Aristotle, Socrates, DennisB. Thanks DB, Jeff.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:46 pm

Hey Dennis... since we have been discouraged from promoting our favorite motor oils and tires.... why not start a new thread of nut cleaners. BTW... is nut cleaning in the service manual? I can't find it. What made you start cleaning yours? I would like for you to post a pictorial when you get a chance. Laughing
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Gary...That's an excellent idea. "Nut Cleaning made easy" Pictures and words. Clean those dirty nuts today and save yourself a ton trouble down the road. Fast & Easy! cheers
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:34 pm

Well then from what I see here is the Silverwing is not rusting on the frame but we did find out that the Bergman will rust on the frame much faster then a Silverwing from someone that has owned a Bergman and a Silverwing. I now know that I picked the right scooter to buy. I can't wait till this spring when I get my Silverwing. I will give my Helix to my wife. Hondas are to dependabull that is why I can't see getting rid of the Helix.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 7:56 am

I do not think that broad brush generalizations are the way to go. It is incorrect to apply a blanket statement like: "...we did find out that the Bergman (sic) will rust on the frame much faster than a SilverWing..."

I did not come to the conclusion that a Burgman frame will rust faster than a SilverWing frame, I don't know this to be true. It is not a fact simply because it is stated. I'm not calling into question the original posters assertion, but am asking for a bit more critical application of judicious thought.

I think this kind of conclusion jumping (one instance = eternal truth) brought us down this topic trail in the first place.

I'm glad you are leaning Honda, but I wouldn't base a decision on this single issue. I would gather accurate info, perhaps free from prejudicial input, and make my decision on merit and my own conclusions.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:12 am

honda_silver wrote:
I believe the rim "pucking" happened twice. Which was resolved by repainting the rims.

I believe that Bernardo had an issue with the wheels of his SilverWing and it was a pitting of the coating and the aluminium becoming porous - thus allowing air to seep out. It was resolved by powder coating the wheels. Seemed to be as others have pointed out related to chemicals used on road surfaces in the winter.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:21 am

jdeereanton wrote:
honda_silver wrote:

I believe that Bernardo had an issue with the wheels of his SilverWing and it was a pitting of the coating and the aluminium becoming porous - thus allowing air to seep out. It was resolved by powder coating the wheels. Seemed to be as others have pointed out related to chemicals used on road surfaces in the winter.

The wheel problem was described as pitting or flaking:

"Bernardo" repainted to resolve.
"walmac" repainted to resolve
"Russ West" had wheel replaced under warranty
"Glenn" touched up
"Guido" never documented if/how resolved
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:19 pm

So then, what is "pucking?"
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

jdeereanton wrote:

puck marking.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Nice, thinking on the fly. Laughing. Never heard of that term used to describe surface abnormalities or ablation. Did you possibly mean "pockmark"?
Back to top Go down
Sweendog
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Sweendog

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Puking spelled wrong? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 5:06 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
I do not think that broad brush generalizations are the way to go. It is incorrect to apply a blanket statement like: "...we did find out that the Bergman (sic) will rust on the frame much faster than a SilverWing..."

I did not come to the conclusion that a Burgman frame will rust faster than a SilverWing frame, I don't know this to be true. It is not a fact simply because it is stated. I'm not calling into question the original posters assertion, but am asking for a bit more critical application of judicious thought.

I think this kind of conclusion jumping (one instance = eternal truth) brought us down this topic trail in the first place.

I'm glad you are leaning Honda, but I wouldn't base a decision on this single issue. I would gather accurate info, perhaps free from prejudicial input, and make my decision on merit and my own conclusions.

Being a member of the UK Suzuki Owners Club for many years, one of the common findings all we Burgman owners agreed upon was the rusting frame. Not to the point of causing fatigue, but enough to warrant treating and monitoring. Maybe it is due to the UK being surrounded by sea!!!! Certainly in my case that was the fact. However, after one year I can categorically state the Honda frame has little or no sign of corrosion at all!!!

Only one aspect I appreciate but worth a consideration.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 5:22 pm

Doug,

I noted that the wheel issue seemed to affect more of you folks in the UK than those of us in the US. I'm not a lurker or member of any Burgman forums and generally, because I have no interest, I do not read anything about the bike. So I wonder if the Burgman owners here in the colonies have experienced similar issues.

And, again, I was not attempting to discredit any individual poster, just asking for all to keep an open mind, odd eh, since I do not care for Burgman Scoots. I care much less for broad generalizations - too much room for error.

I'm pleased to hear that the Honda frame is withstanding the climate and environment. Must have something to do with the finish coatings.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 5:41 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
Doug,

I noted that the wheel issue seemed to affect more of you folks in the UK than those of us in the US. I'm not a lurker or member of any Burgman forums and generally, because I have no interest, I do not read anything about the bike. So I wonder if the Burgman owners here in the colonies have experienced similar issues.

And, again, I was not attempting to discredit any individual poster, just asking for all to keep an open mind, odd eh, since I do not care for Burgman Scoots. I care much less for broad generalizations - too much room for error.

I'm pleased to hear that the Honda frame is withstanding the climate and environment. Must have something to do with the finish coatings.

Similar experience with the old style VW Beetle. A European Beetle was prone to corrosion on a massive scale whereas the South African and central US owned Dubs suffered far less if any.

Climate does and will take its toll on any metal.

Back to the 'Wing', during my research pre Honda, I did spend almost a full year talking to owners and getting the feel for the marque. In my view, I feel I made the correct choice for many reasons, not just on the frame! The Burgman 650 is a fine machine but not for me, expense of servicing, complexity of transmission and a few other minor niggles made the Honda the right choice.

A year and 6'7K miles and the Wing just gets better and better. :not worthy:
Back to top Go down
wingmann
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
wingmann

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 pm

I was not trying to pick on the Bergman I realy like the Bergman . My picking a Silverwing over a Bergman was vary close. I was asking about the Silverwing rusting and I hear from someone that owned both Bergman and Silverwing that told us that he had some rust on one of the two bikes. The two bikes under the same condishions . I did not make my pick on buying a Silverwing just because of some light rust . For about a year I have been looking at Bergman and Silverwing forum web sites and did the Pro's and Con's from what I read from the Bergman and Silverwing owners and for me the Silverwing has more Pro's . I can see how I can generaliz here in Minnesota thay love to use salt here and when I see some brands and models of cars that all have rust in the same spots on them in little time and other brands and models have no rust anywhere for years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?   Rusting - Silverwing Frames Rusting Out? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silverwing Frames Rusting Out?
Page 1 of 1