Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New Honda Adventure Scooter
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby bikehiker Yesterday at 11:23 pm

» Installed a C.L.M. lock on Swing.
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby sc00ter Yesterday at 11:00 pm

» Greetings from southern Oregon
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Osprey Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:17 pm

» Front brake issues
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby exavid Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:16 am

» Yes Virginia, there is an American scooter magazine
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Howardr Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:27 pm

» Hello ! New SW600 owner
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby LECHETTAN Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:50 am

» left signal turn
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby LECHETTAN Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:30 am

» Seeking Hard Side Cases for Silverwing
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:38 am

» Loss of a friend
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GoonerKev Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:01 am

» New Member RevDougLeBow
Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Osprey Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Picture of my SilverWing

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Picture of my SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Picture of my SilverWing   Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 7:08 am

You wouldn't want to see it. It's tires, frame and engine. Stripped it last week. My buddy of 40 years ran this SW into a field on July 19th and died from the injuries on Oct 30th. He was the most knowledgible guy on foreign bikes I knew. Me- a Harley guy. But I'm gonna fix the SW up and keep it since it was his. I know it will cost more then it's worth, but.... Might need some advice from the group over the next couple of months. About all the "paint" or body parts need replaced. Any after market stuff out there?
Ride in Peace - Jed "the ChickenHead" Minaya - 1949 to 2008. Go to www.tmisc.org and click on members, then the picture of Jed to see "The Scooter Guy". Love to ride that SW w/the Harleys. They go like hell!

George Conrad aka PossumHead
Huntingdon, PA
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Picture of my SilverWing   Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 12:18 pm

George,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It's good you are going to keep the SWing to repair. If there is anything I can help you with please just ask. I am going to put some maintenance "Pictorals" in the maintenance section after Christmas. I'm kind of busy with XMas right now to do it. Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for joining.

But, as you do this work on the SWing it may be good to take alot of pictures in the state it is in now an as you repair it. Not too many people have done this before. Also, there a few other sites you may want to join, if you haven't already:

www.silverwing.org
yahoo groups silverwing section ( i can get the address)
www.leroybeal.com (He has done alot to his swing and has a site)

Aftermarket sites are in the mods section with links to sites. I am going to put more in there too. And if you come across any please feel free to post them too as you do your work.

Take care,

JeffR
Back to top Go down
http://www.silverwing600.com
Bernardo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Bernardo

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Picture of my SilverWing   Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 7:15 am

Hi There, Mr PossumHead!

Curious name! Do you breed possums? Or do you share a resemblance? Smile Joking!!!! bounce

I was gutted to read your post about your friend..... Crying or Very sad Difficult to know what to say... A few months ago one of my relations had a nasty spill, but thankfully has made a good recovery.... Smile Anyway, I think it's fantastic what you are doing restoring Jed's S'wing, and I wish you well! Smile

I'm no mechanic, but have had a few mods made to my S'wing. If it's performance you want, you might want to consider slightly bigger bore exhaust downpipes, the stock ones although stainless are a bit narrow. Also, leave out the stock muffler, it's heavy and has a power sapping CAT. Also, unless you bore out the variator weights to make them lighter, or buy new (lighter) ones, you'll also need a decent aftermarket variator. The Two most popular are the Malossi Multivar 2000 and the J Costa. The first one comes with a set of weights you can mix and match, and is therefore much more tweakable. The J Costa is already optimised, no tweaking needed. From my research (mostly online) the J Costa seems to be the most popular with a few folk having had the Malossi, moving on to the J Costa. Both variators as well as improving performance, reduce annoying belt slap...

Good luck! And as Jeff has suggested, if you take loads of photos as you progress and share them online, loads of folk around the world are gonna love you (and Jed) for it!! :D

Happy Xmas santa Exclamation

Last edited by Bernardo on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : multivar variator, not multicar!)
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1997
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Picture of my SilverWing   Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 7:37 am

George,

Kim and I pass along our condolences and best wishes.

Do post images of the bike in its current condition. I've taken almost all of the tupperware off of both of our SWings and I am truly not mechanically gifted. But with a service manual, available from Helm - (http://tinyurl.com/6sladz) for $60.00 almost anything mechanical can be done, even by the inexperienced.

As for the tupperware (plastic parts) there are at least three options as well as you local Honda dealer. And I can only remember the one I use the most - www.servicehonda.com. They have a clunky website that can be hard to navigate at first. I often get pricing online and then let my local dealer match the price. I need to make sure the local guys stay in business and they want to stay in business so typically will match the on-line price.

Dale
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Picture of my SilverWing   Picture of my SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 7:56 am

So sorry about your friend. A moment in time changes everything and I'm sure you miss him.
I actually know where Huntingdon is. I supervised part of the Erie City Mission several years ago and have kept in touch with one of the guys, who is now in prison there...go figure. But he is one of the funniest people I have ever met. I am part of his support structure and I visit once or twice a year. My dad is on Lake Erie, east of Erie and I visit him on my way sometimes.
That area is a beautiful area to ride. Maybe next year I can try that on my Silverwing.
Ride safe~
Back to top Go down

Picture of my SilverWing
Page 1 of 1